The Other Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Juventus' started by Dante, Jun 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    For those of you who fail to grasp that Serie A is no longer a great league, and it's not a big deal to win the scudetto anymore, GTFO.

2. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    And yet it's still better to win the league as not. No matter how much it has declined.

3. St. Michael's Sword

Mar 7, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Seriously. To Win a Great League> To win a Good League> To win an Average League> To win a Bad league> To win a Shit League> To win No League> To win a paper title.

phat and scirea6 repped this.
  4. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    You get the same coefficient points in the EL and with weaker competition. Napoli could be one of the favorites to win it. The Champions League, not so much.

5. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Serie A is still a great league. No one remembers how strong it was back in the 70s but we won it and that's all that matters.

LGRod repped this.
  6. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    That's true. It's a longer competition so who knows if Napoli will want to stay competitive in it. Italy might as well do a Portugal and accumulate points in that comp.

7. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Exactly. And more money for Marotta to turn into shit.

8. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That's the trick. He turns no money into BIG money. He's a magician, hence the glass eye.

9. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    It is? Our teams continue to get embarrassed in Europe, and we still want to consider ourselves a great league. How do you figure? We have fallen behind England and Spain for some time now. The Bundesliga is a better league as well. We are probably on par with the French and Portuguese...so sad.

Of course Juve should always strive to win the Serie A. However, the fact that a number of folks here are content with that such that we overlook continuous European embarassments surprises me. We should strive for better. We should not be happy with a season like last year.

10. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I don't give a fuck about Europe. I don't give a fuck about the English, Spanish, German, French or the Portugese league. I don't love Italian football because we used to beat up on everyone in the UEFA Cup. The status of Serie A compared to other European leagues has no baring on how great I think it is. Watching the Rome derby, or Fiorentina v Juventus or Derby d'Italia is just as exciting today as it was 20 years ago.

Calcio Pauly repped this.
  11. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    One season /= continuous. It's not like the CL happens once every four years, ffs. Just because we got knocked out last year doesn't mean that will be our fate eternally. We do have another chance to improve, ya know.

We should have advanced last year. But shit happens. Two years ago Chelsea were knocked out of the group stage. It didn't exactly bring an end to their existence, did it? The same happened to Manchester United when they were still managed by Ferguson. Manchester City and PSG have been underachieving in Europe (relative to the ambitions of their owners and the amount of money they have to spend and have spent) for several years now. By your definition, shouldn't they be embarrassed?

And if you think getting knocked out by Bayern Munich in the 1/4 finals the year before last was an "embarrassment", when they were clearly the best side in Europe, then... well, you better get used to the disappointment or find another club to support that will be less "embarrassing".

Unless you're talking about the performances of Italian clubs as a whole, which, frankly, is beyond our control and therefore, beyond our care or concern. As long as we maximize our cash flow, we're ahead of the game.

12. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    And who are you to tell "us", the club and other fans, what they should and should not be satisfied with?

If you're disappointed, then that's your prerogative and you're perfectly entitled to it. Just as it is the prerogative of others to be proud of a 102 point league title win, if that's how they feel, regardless of the state of Serie A.

13. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Season like last year ......
    • Third straight scudetto with the record point total breaking the century mark in the process
    • Semifinalist in the Europa League
    • Second consecutive Supercoppa
    There are plenty of teams that would kill for a season like that.

St. Michael's Sword repped this.
  14. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    As nice as all that is and winning a league is impressive, but Juve really need to make a statement in Europe to validate their 3 and hopefully 4 year run.

This team is too good to not test their limits vs the very best. They deserve credit for making the QF of the CL two years ago, but they were never really in that tie vs Bayern. It feels like it's now or never.

gumbacicc repped this.
  15. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  16. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Then you'll be disappointed. This Juventus team has no chance in Europe.

17. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    That's a different point-you may prefer the Serie A to other leagues. However, we have a number of folks around here who refuse to accept the reality that the Serie A is a league on the decline. Therefore, excuse me for not being overly impressed that we continue to dominate a league where Roma and Napoli are our biggest rivals. I do care about Europe; and I would once again like to see Juve at the pinnacle of the world game.

18. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    We have won over 30 domestic titles and have been the best domestic side in Italian history. How does our European success compare? We have a history of underachieving in Europe. I'm not just talking about two years ago. You can't fault a supporter for expecting better.

19. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    It's my opinion--just as you are entitled to yours. If you accept mediocrity, so be it. We have the means of achieving more.

20. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I think you know well from my previous posts that I'm fully aware of the demise of Italian football. But it changes nothing. What makes Italian football great is not just the quality players. The only thing that really bothers me is the empty stadiums. That's what I miss the most. Verona averaging 50k or whatever it was when Zico was there. Can you imagine.

21. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Farcelona finding a way to make themselves look even stupider:

[​IMG]

shiboboo and phat repped this.
  22. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Was Suarez required to have his mouth facing away from his teammates?

23. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Well, it can be expected given the fact that most of the stadiums haven't been updated in over twenty years...and that real supporters would have to deal with all the Ultras' nonsense. It's really sad.

24. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice Canadian tuxedos

usnroach repped this.
  25. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Or perhaps, you know, we simply define "mediocrity" and "spoiled entitlement" differently.