The Other Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Juventus' started by Dante, Jun 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. St. Michael's Sword

Mar 7, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Lucarelli is clearly the better player :oops:

2. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Benatia is an unknown at the European stage. One good season at Roma does not make him world class.

3. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody is saying he's world class. Why does the player need to be world class for Juve to sign him? There are plenty of good players out there that would make the starting 11 stronger.

St. Michael's Sword repped this.
  4. St. Michael's Sword

Mar 7, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Even if they don't make our starting XI stronger there are a hell of a lot of players who could improve our bench. Depth wins you trophies. It's hard to do that with Giovinco, Padoin, and Motta.

5. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    But that is not the argument that many here have been whining about. We have not made signings that will replace anyone among our starting XI. So then I am given a list of players who will be back ups, many whom are expensive signings and this is a failure on Marotta for not signing these overpriced transfers. Admit it that many of you would be pleased that Juve makes the same idiotic headlines as those who throw money away on ordinary talent.

6. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Giovinco is there as he came up the ranks and all the hype that was given to him. If someone offers a good deal for him, he will go. Padoin was a Conte favorite. How much longer will he remain, who knows. Motta is just difficult to get rid of and has not played a key role for years, if any. In the cases for Giovinco and Padoin, they have won trophies.

7. St. Michael's Sword

Mar 7, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I don't know about @Duck Manson but I do know @Dante and I were happy when we DIDN'T sign Iturbe. Know the audience you are arguing against. Of the three people you are currently talking to at least two are not advocating the position you think we are.

Dante repped this.
  8. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I stayed general and did not pick on anyone in particular. So go ahead and feel free to consider yourself an exception. While Dante was not for Iturbe, he has expressed dissatisfaction of not signing other players. But he is not one of the bad whiners around here. He also likes to argue with me for the sake of debate as I do with him. With the two of us, it is not personal.

Dante repped this.
  9. St. Michael's Sword

Mar 7, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC

I understand that but there is no one else posting :p

That being said, I typically find your posts enlightening (even in the political forums) but I don't understand why it is so hard for you to admit that there are a plethora of players who Juventus could sign (whether or not we could afford them and regardless of if they are world class) who could improve our team. This isn't the Juventus of the 90's and early 2000's.

10. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Not a huge Iturbe fan. I do however think he's better than Pereyra.

11. St. Michael's Sword

Mar 7, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Idk why we even bought that guy...

12. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    We picked up a few players who may not make a significant impact immediately but hopefully will do so down the road. This is a team of champions with a solid base. There is no need for radical changes. Nor is there the need to make outrageous spendings on players that are not automatic to replace someone among the starting XI. Tevez and Llorente are in their second season after a successful first one and I expect more from both players, especially in Europe. We also have some young players away on loan that may feature prominently in the future. So it is not about what is done in one summer signing and as I do every year at this point of the season, I express my opinions that are not in agreement with those who want those headline transfers.

13. St. Michael's Sword

Mar 7, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Let me try and ask the question a different way. If we could afford players like James Rodriguez, Kroos, and Falcao (pretend they are all free agents or Morrata won the lottery) would you admit that they would be an improvement on our starting XI?

14. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    If I answer the question, what does it prove?

Let me ask this question. Did the Bale signing put Real Madrid over the top last season that allowed them to capture the CL?

15. St. Michael's Sword

Mar 7, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Would Bale be an improvement in our starting XI (Whether at LWB, LM, CAM, or ST)? Yes or No?

Answering the questions proves that you agree there are players that COULD improve our current starting XI and that what you are actually disagreeing on is who we could financially afford.

16. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Messi would be an improvement. Ronaldo too. David Luis, no. Would Balotelli be an improvement? There is no point discussing players that are not within our reach nor for players that someone else purchased at a ridiculous sum.

17. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    #67 scirea6, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
    I have a friend who's an Olympiacos supporter and he calls Manolas a bidone. Physically, he has all the tools, but his concentration is worse than Bonucci's and he makes even more errors. According to him, it's clear that most people have only seen the player's recent WC performances and he's thrilled that they're going to get 15m for him, because he's not even close to being worth that kind of money.

We shall see. Sometimes CBs mature later and only show their true quality when they reach their late 20's/early 30's (like Barzagli). It might end up being a good pick up for Roma in the future, but for now, I'm indifferent to losing out on him.

18. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BUT!!! There are players that have not gone for a ridiculous sum that would improve our starting XI. Realistically, we can't compete with Barca, Real, ManYoo or Bayern. We simply can't economically.

What we can do is make smart signings that don't break the bank often, that strengthen our starting 11.

Manolas would be a starter on this team, why? Because he's better than Bonucci and Ogbonna. Barzagli isn't getting any younger, and he's been a bit injury prone as well. Look at the rest of our defense at this point. Evra? Chiellini, Caceres, Romulo, Lichtsteiner. Many play in positions that Manolas doesn't. Plus, he's young.

Coman was a good signing, because he's young, has great potential and was FREE. Rabiot would be a great addition to the team now, but Juve wouldn't pay his fee, which at one point was €5 million. They said, we'll wait a year and get him for free. Then Arsenal came sniffing and PSG said you want him now it's €30 million.

19. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny, I know an Olympiacos fan who's quite upset that they lost him. He thinks he was the best defender they had in a long time.

20. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    LOL.

Well, my friend also likes Juve (he's not a supporter, but he prefers us to any other Italian club) so maybe he's just utterly biased in our favor. Either way, we shall see.

21. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Who is Manolas? The best defender of Olympiacos is better than our players all of a sudden? Do not the likes of Real Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester United need such a great defender?

22. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We will.

23. St. Michael's Sword

Mar 7, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Man U should not be listed with Barca and Real. Bayern are the team you should be thinking of now when you see $$$ (or City or Chelsea or PSG).

24. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it so hard to comprehend that our CB's aren't the strongest? Ogbonna? An utter waste of money. Bonucci? lol, plenty better than him. Then there's Barzagli and Chiellini who both can fill that role, yet they've been used elsewhere.

25. St. Michael's Sword

Mar 7, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Also both have somewhere between 2-4 seasons TOPS left as starters.