PBP: The Other MLS Teams' Paraphernalia Thread: Now Legal in Two States

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by KCbus, Jan 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I don't think many, if any, are disputing there are a number of positives in this situation as it relates to Los Angeles maintaining a huge role in a player's development from academy to the senior roster. I think where people are having trouble understanding why this is a "game changer" is how this is affected by or changes the player's acquisition. If I understand it correctly, if a player puts in the appropriate amount of time into a team's academy the team can eventually sign him to a homegrown contract, allowing him to bypass the draft. And this is true even if the player goes to college. If I understand this specific situation correctly, this player has signed a contract to play for Los Angeles Galaxy II, not Los Angeles Galaxy. So, while the big boys are helping him with college and taking a more active role in his development, he's now a professional and therefore subject to all the goofy player acquisition rules associated with that. Unless there's a new acquisition method - and this is MLS, so who knows? - there's no guarantee the Galaxy can even get this guy.

Again, that's how I understand it, but I often get confused when trying to figure out the system.

2. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes Columbus could slap a discovery claim on LA II player and LA would have to trade for him if they want him. I never understood why the Crew never had a partnership with the Pittsburgh River Hounds, they seem to be a better run organization with a nice little stadium.

3. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Ah yes. Pittsburgh. Who had to file for Chapter 11 last year.

chr1st repped this.
  4. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...the Sons of Ben capo (cheerleader) stand is in front of section 137.

5. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I cannot tell you how proud I am that Columbus does not have a capo stand. Crew fans don't want or need to be led like idiots.

Anyone who finds me at a match and buys me a beer I will tell why it is that there were no temporary capo stands installed at CCS for the US/Mexico match as the USSF and the SuperCapos from Seattle had originally planned. They were left on a truck in the parking lot. I can very honestly say that it was entirely my doing and I am very proud of it.

No capo stands at Crew Stadium is a core value.

6. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's the way we've always done things...if it means chaos with several chants on-going at the same time or the same chant at different places...well, I guess that's Columbus? And there would be something ironic about getting rid of the Crewzers (no! we don't like cheerleaders!) to getting a capo stand. One of those, we can easily ignore. The other...not so much.

The chants and songs should be based off the flow of the game, not what some randomly assigned person on a lifeguard chair decides everyone should sing.

7. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Capos are for the Mafia....

Robbo Crewfan and Bill Archer repped this.
  8. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the great moments at the last US/Mex match was when most of the stadium spontaneously started chanting "this is our house".

The Seattle/AO-assigned capos were having a coronary, frantically waving for their sections to stop it, because they were trying to get something different started and everyone was ignoring them because, you know, they were fans enjoying the game.

They didn't care that the stadium was so loud you could hear the crowd in Cleveland. They just wanted to be in charge. God I hate those guys.

(That was the day after I caught hell for calling that moron mommy-blogger capo from Des Moines a bitch, although in my defense I didn't want to call her a bitch. The problem was that the first two things I called her got rejected by the auto censor.)

9. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    What the f**king f**k?

10. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Video of that "This is our house" freakout would be fantastic. Sadly, I feel as if none exists.

11. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now I am confused. Does this mean that you guys were ignoring the capos, or that Frankie WAS one? :)

13. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

:D

Bill Archer, Draghignazzo and CybrSlydr repped this.
  14. ThreeC

ThreeC Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Cowbellumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weird. I thought it was because myself and the 4 or 5 other reps from Columbus local SGs and the local AO affiliate that had to have dozens of meetings and email exchanges with USSF, AO national, ESPN, Seattle folks, etc... told them that on no uncertain terms we were not having capo stands over and over and over again. ;)

15. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely. I was exaggerating. I assumed that was obvious. Nevertheless, I did indeed make a substantial contribution which I really can't discuss in public. Buy me a beer, take my word for it or call me a liar. Your call.

16. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You big tease.

17. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is all 3 an option?

18. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, it's probably my first preference.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  19. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See, buying Bill Archer a beer would probably require locating him. The other option would be to pay for it, he shows up later to claim the beer and then the story is told via PM here. But @Brook knows how easy it is to locate Bill.

20. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    [​IMG]

foozer, chr1st and CybrSlydr repped this.
  21. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Anyone else catch the ETR segment about Eddie Johnson undergoing evaluation for unspecified cardiac problems? Urso was mentioned specifically by the guest.

22. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did. But I can't tell you anything about it, because I tend to nod off a little bit when I hear Eddie Johnson's name.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  23. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I buy Bill a Heineken does that count as a Beer?

24. WTAMUCrew

WTAMUCrew Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Amarillo
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've consulted the judges and they have ruled that yes a Heineken does in fact qualify as a beer in this situation. However the spirit of the law would dictate another choice.

25. ThreeC

ThreeC Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Cowbellumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That shit was so insane. I don't think most people know how much time and energy it takes to run an SG or put on an event for supporters. But this past USA v Mex was a bear. And we spent as much time on this capo bullshit as everything else combined. It was basically the local SGs and local AO chapter vs everyone else. It was unreal.

It would be like going to a friend's house for Christmas dinner. Then when you get there you tell him his grandmother's cooking sucks, he sucks because he likes granny's cooking, complaining that their table isn't big enough for all the other random people they invited that don't even normally celebrate Christmas, and try to get you to throw out your Christmas ham because at their house they have turkey for Christmas. And then going "I'm not trying to tell you what to do, and I know this is your grandmother's 82nd Christmas, I'm just trying to help you have a better Christmas... you know like my family has. OMG that reminds me, have you ever heard of these things called Christmas Carols people sing at Christmas? They're soooo fun. I'll teach you and your family about it."