News: The Other Club Teams Thread

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by DRB300, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    vDijk scored a nice goal with a header today.

I'm really beginning to believe Pool can go undefeated this season

2. Oh, crap. Another Dutch player thinking about joining the mls, Locadia at 26 this time. Is he without ambition anymore?

3. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think EPL is totally wrong league for Ziyech

Orange14 repped this.
  4. They really are nuts in the States. If there's one guy with intergrity and absolutely non-racist it's Ron Jans.

Paul Daugherty column on Ron Jans being investigated for ...
    www.cincinnati.com › columnists › paul-daugherty › 2020/02/17 › p...

2 dagen geleden - This is not a live and learn moment, fortunately or unfortunately, for FC Cincinnati coach Ron Jans. When the N-word is involved, there is no .

They're claiming he's shown a repeated pattern of racist remarks in relation to slavery.
    Well, he's a teacher of the German language before becoming a coach, so English isnot his strongest point. He's a motivational coach who likes to use examples of overcoming adversary circumstances.
    The fvcking imbecil Yanks should be more self reflecting about keeping an idiot in the WH who's racist attitude is without precedence, than clobbing down a man of integrity. Fvcking imbecils.

5. This is what the idiot in his article writes:
    "This is not a live and learn moment, fortunately or unfortunately, for FC Cincinnati coach Ron Jans. When the N-word is involved, there is no context. That might not be entirely fair, but if you live in this country, you know that going in, and you behave accordingly."

If one is to believe the fake news he behaved like the WH loony, so what's about blending in perfectly?

6. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord

7. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    @PuckVanHeel - Are you really surprised at this? almost all the big Euro clubs operate in this manner. I'm honestly getting sick of all this kind of stuff and almost to the point of giving up watching any matches at all. Nothing has been done to even the playing ground at all.

8. This is so beautiful I'm thinking about making it my avatar:
    [​IMG]
    Only problem is I dunno how:p
    Plus I get red carded the moment I post in the Really?Madrid forum.:ROFLMAO:

9. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    copy and save the image to your computer. You then need to resize it to fit Big Soccer requirements for Avatar images. Windows has a program that will do this petty easily.

Don't even think about visiting the Real Madrid forum. My good friend @Brilliant Dutch did this last year and got kicked off for over a week and had a YC for about four months afterwards!!! I cannot rescue you from that.

10. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I have always had a fondness for this team!!!

Being More Like Athletic Bilbao

[​IMG]

Players like Inaki Williams understand, and embrace, the connection between Athletic and its Basque identity.Jon Nazca/Reuters

[​IMG]

By Rory Smith

If you are enjoying this newsletter, please pass it on to a friend (or four) and tell them to sign up at nytimes.com/rory.

Athletic Bilbao feels on the inside precisely as it appears from the outside. To Aritz Aduriz, the striker who retired from the club this week, it always had the air of a “neighborhood team taking on the world.” It was a club in which the players shared a background and an outlook, in which the line between the squad and its public was blurred to the point of invisibility, a team that is of a place in a sport that knows no borders.

The roots of that identity are well documented. Athletic is the rare team in elite soccer that refuses to take advantage of the globalization that has transformed the game — mostly for better, occasionally for worse — in the last two decades or so; it adheres to a strict policy of fielding only players born or raised in the Basque regions of Spain and France.

It is, on the surface, a massive competitive disadvantage. Bilbao’s rivals, after all, can recruit from around the globe. Athletic is reliant on its own youth academy, and on its ability to pluck players from a handful of other teams in the region: Real Sociedad in San Sebastián, Osasuna in Pamplona and, in recent years, Eibar.

Occasionally, a player of Basque heritage will emerge elsewhere: Athletic signed Bixente Lizarazu, a French Basque, from Bordeaux in the 1990s, and added Ander Herrera, born in Bilbao, from Real Zaragoza in 2011. Cristian Ganea, a Romanian international, was able to join the club in 2018 because he had spent some of his teenage years in the region.

Not all such players, though, meet the criteria. The club reportedly felt Marcos Asensio did not quite fit the bill and turned down the chance to bring him into their ranks as a teenager. He now plays for Real Madrid.

That Athletic remains a force in Spanish soccer — it has never been relegated, and it was slated to feature in the final of the Copa del Rey before the postponement of this season — is something of a minor miracle, then. It helps that the Basque region has been, traditionally, a fertile breeding ground for players. It helps that the club has the financial strength to resist all but the most lucrative offers for its stars, enabling it to keep its squad together.

And it helps, of course, that players like Aduriz revel in the feeling the club generates, that they buy in to what it means, that they relish the chance to play for a team that feels as if it stands for something.

Something throughout Aduriz’s career drew him back remorselessly to Bilbao. He signed for the club three times, all told. He could never, really, say no, not even after he was sold for the second time, reduced to tears at the thought of having to leave yet again. Four years later, when Athletic asked him to come back, he could not resist. He wanted to retire there, to “close the circle,” as he put it, at the club of his heart.

Most of all, though, Athletic Bilbao works because of the fans.

[​IMG]

Aritz Aduriz, who called an end to his Athletic career this year, signed with the club three times.Manu Fernandez/Associated Press

Modern soccer conditions its fans to think in a very specific way. What matters, ultimately, are results. Success, for the elite, is weighed in the silver and gold of trophies and medals. For everyone else, it is measured in the league table, an annual review held every weekend. If your team’s position is too low, if it is not meeting expectations, then it is your right to demand immediate change.

Coaches must be fired, players sold — and others bought — and, if necessary, executives dismissed: whichever one applies, but there must be change, and change almost always looks like recruitment of one sort or another.

What is most compelling about Athletic’s model is that it deprives its fans of the chance to think like that. Of course, there are times when San Mamés, the club’s stadium, will roar its disapproval. There are seasons when the club will cycle through coaches, or when players will fall out of favor, or when the board will come under fire.

But written into the unspoken contract between Athletic and its fans is the tacit acceptance that there will be fallow years. There will be seasons when success is a comfortable midtable finish. There will be times when trophies are a distant prospect, and the best that can be hoped for is a single euphoric night against one of La Liga’s giants.

And that has to be tolerated, at least, because the model makes it inevitable. How could it not? Athletic cannot go and replace a player in the transfer market if there is not a Basque player who fits the profile. Athletic cannot spend hundreds of millions of euros on players if those players do not meet its criteria.

To some extent, Athletic has chosen to prioritize its model — still, more than a century on, not actually officially codified — over its ambitions. Success, at Athletic, is in doing as well as a neighborhood team that has to take on the world can do. Some years, that might mean reaching a major final. Many years it will not, and yet still, the overwhelming majority of fans support the policy. There is no yearning for change, big or small.

There is something in this that might, perhaps, be a useful example for clubs far from the Basque region as soccer comes to terms with its new, post-pandemic reality.

Many executives accept that soccer’s 30-year bull market is over, for the time being at least. Clubs will have to spend less, in the short term, and spend better to succeed. Change will not be so easy to effect in an altered marketplace, and problems will have to be solved, at times, by things other than cash.

For fans, too, it may be time to internalize a different idea of what success is, to accept that some years might be better than others, that building slowly and cautiously toward a pinnacle may not only be preferable, but necessary.

The idea that any other team might willingly limit its choices, as Athletic Bilbao has, is fanciful. Its model is not one that might be easily franchised. But the consequences of that model can be international, if we permit them to be. Change does not always have to be seen as a virtue. A team’s worth does not always have to be gauged exclusively by league position. Sometimes, success can just be having a team that is of a place, and has to take on the world.

A Brief Note on Names
    [​IMG]

Yes, we know the club’s name is Athletic Club, not Athletic Bilbao.Alvaro Barrientos/Associated Press

There is a mistake in the headline of this column. Worse still, it is a mistake I am fully aware I have made. It is a mistake, essentially, that I have made on purpose. As at least some of you will be aware, Athletic Bilbao is not a thing. The soccer team that is based in Bilbao is called Athletic Club.

It is worth explaining the mistake, I think, because after we published this week’s interview with Aduriz, at least a couple of people got in touch to point it out. The same thing happens when you write about Sporting Lisbon — actually titled Sporting Clube de Portugal — and, occasionally, Inter Milan — properly called Internazionale — too.

In the last few years, it’s got to the stage where we could probably add using Red Star Belgrade instead of Crvena Zvezda to that list. The allegations range from ignorance (understandable) to some form of soccer-based cultural imperialism (a bit of a stretch, if I’m honest).

There is no argument over which of those names is correct. So why make the mistake? Well, my feeling has always been that the point of language is communication. To an English-speaking audience, Athletic Bilbao is much more instantly familiar than Athletic Club; Sporting Lisbon evokes a clearer image than just “Sporting.”

Some fans, I know, find that offensive, but it works the other way, too. Plenty of people talk about Glasgow Celtic and Glasgow Rangers (even in Britain). “Manchester” is used across the world as shorthand for United, which says a lot about City’s global impact until recent years. You will, very occasionally, see references to Arsenal London, too. They’re all wrong, of course. But what matters, deep down, is that people know what you’re talking about.

feyenoordsoccerfan repped this.
  11. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
      • watched bayern and Monchengladbarch (replay) and I must say Moussa Diaby will be the next big name for france. He is such an exciting winger and not even just one season at Leverkusan he is already attracting big clubs. This is the sort of trajectory you wanna see for dutch talents who are coming up so that that they do not trail to the big nations in terms of the gap between them. during the course of the nation league NT looked to be at their peak and also best in the europe but by the end of the EC qualifers they hit the other side of the peak. This comes as no surprise given koeman stuck to the same group of players while other teams kept injecting talents who were thriving in different leagues and if things doesnt change for NT, the turn around time at peak will always be short for them and within a very short period the other big nations will catch up and again increase the gap by two fold

You can also take kai Harvetz as another example here and compare him to VDBeek and wijnaldum. Firstly has come out of no where and is setting the pace in bundasliga and just watch how long it takes him to surpass both the dutch compatriots. Klopp is keeping a close tabs on him and this could be on the cards if he arrives at Anifield.

Even if you look at Dilrosun, super talented but still he hasnt hit the level of Diaby, Sancho etc. This is where things need to change as mentioned earlier other ways the current trend for NT will continue.

Going back to the game harvetz and diaby have become crown jewel for Bosz and are the orchestrators in the attack. Sinkgraven, not much to do as Diaby hardly requires extra cover. Leverkusan climb to third and are pushing for a strong finish.

12. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  13. How did he surpass Wijnaldum? He has shown potential, Gino has shown value by being key in winning the CL and probably this week the first title in 40? years.
    Kay hasnot been in top level confrontations while Gino has made minced meat of the best in the world.
    So Kay still has to show he can do it on the level Gino is operating. He hasnot even put a foot on the stairs where Gino stands on the platform that stairs leads to.
    If you would post this in the German thread, you will be laughed at. I know that as I regularly converse with them about german and dutch players.

14. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    it is true that wijnaldum has scored some " important goals" for liverpool, but there is no way he has been a consistent performer for Liverpool and is at the top level as you claim. you look at the barce first leg where klopp deployed him in a more advance role upfront, he was no show.he fades in and out with consecutive game and his main stronghold is confound to inside the box only.

its is also true that Wijnaldum fits in klopp's system perfectly but I can think of any game where in his absence, liverpool were on backfoot . injuries aside, Henderson. Fabinho and Milners were all key in the CL trumph for Liverpool. on the other hand divock Origi also scored some important games for pool, does this mean he was also a key player for pool.

im not trying to beat the drum here but at 20 Kai Harvetz right now is the hottest commodity in the market with the very top teams lining up for him. he also has proven he is a player of exceptional quality, after becoming the first player in the history of the Bundasliga to reach 35 goals before turning 21 years old. this trajectory speaks for itself and the stairs that you are talking about he again is playing up there with the very best. Juventus, Atletico, Bayern, Dortmund etc.its just that Leverkusan is not the same caliber of a team like Liverpool in term of player quality.

lastly a german laughing on german. got me thinking?

15. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    He is very good and has potential, the marketeers have a field day, but so far has rarely done anything against the Bayerns and Dortmunds of this world

https://nos.nl/l/2336379

16. Not laughing at Kay, but laughing at the claim he surpassed Wijnaldum. They would point to you Kay hasnot set a foot yet where Gino is.
    And they love Kay.

17. Exactly.

18. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #1794 wilson00, Jun 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    https://www.planetfootball.com/quic...9-20-stats-to-liverpools-current-midfielders/

I still dont understand what do you mean by this "They would point to you Kay has not set a foot yet where Gino is". if you are are taking into consideration the goals wijnaldum scored vs barcelona and atletico, then my argument still stands what do you make out of origi.if you could enlighten here

19. It's quite simple. To surpass a person like Wijnaldum you have to have performed more than Gino has done. Kai simply has just started to play pro soccer. In other words he's still a rookie.
    That's the difference of a player with a top CV and a player with potential, which also means nothing yet to put on the CV.

20. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Origi doesn't have as many 'big game' goals as Wijnaldum.

Wijnaldum scored the goal that made them qualify for the 2017-18 Champions League. He scored in the 2018 semi finals against AS Roma. He scored against Brazil in the 2014 World Cup, scored against France, Germany and a number of others in competitive matches.

He has gradually built up this reputation. He is not Iniesta (a much greater player, don't get me wrong) who bases it on two or three goals in his career.

21. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    you have to be joking? fun facts.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ed-Liverpools-biggest-goals-Jurgen-Klopp.html

22. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
  23. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #1799 wilson00, Jun 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    Except it my friend.

https://thefootballfaithful.com/origi-most-important-winning-goals-liverpool/

It just that competition is intense in belguim national team that he has not been able to lay his stakes in there so once again I go back to my initial argument. If you consider wijnaldum to be one of the key players because he scored some important goals for liverpool then what do you make of origi.

24. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Agree about the rookie part but with respect to the CV part, scoring some important goals just doesnt make your CV the high profile one and neither it puts you on another level. This is why I used the origi argument. if this was case then wijnaldum is much cheaper option then harvetz but still no big teams are linning up for him and certainly liverpool are not heavyweights that wijnaldum would not wanna leave if a better offer comes.You have just used the goals scored as mitigation factor with the age gap between them, which makes him a front runner. Wijnaldum was not playing CL at 20 and neither he was breaking records at PSV. Its obvious by the time harvetz reaches his peak he will surpass everything wijnaldum has achieved in his whole career. Im simply basing this from his current trajectory and plus he will definetly be at one of the biggest clubs next season ,well if not for injuries.

What I see in harvetz is an overall better and potentiall to reach higher skill set than Wijnaldum who is unpredictable.