News: The Other Club Teams Thread

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by DRB300, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I see where ManU are off to their worst start since the formation of the Premier League. van Gaal did better at this stage in both seasons he was at the helm. I wonder how long Mourinho will last before they turn the club over to icon Ryan Giggs.

2. curbo

curbo Member

Apr 14, 2012
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    They have been unlucky with the results and just lack of finishing their chances. They have a really good squad imo and will be fine going further as they gel more.
    But they do seem to become somewhat a real-madrid type club, buying big named players for the publicity and afterwards try to juggle them together somehow instead of buying what they need for footballreasons. Still gotta replace 47 year old Carrick.

3. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    The plane carrying the Brazilian Chapecoense team crashed on their way to the Copa Sudamericana final killing most of the squad. The images and movies made by the players on board the plane leave a haunting memory. It's an terrifying accident that can happen to any team anywhere.

4. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    After nine years of failure, my team (Toronto FC) is in the MLS cup final tonight. They host the Seattle sounders at home. Weather conditions expected to be -5C and windy. This is our tenth season, and apart from small successes here and there (Winning the Canadian championship several times, which is played between the three canadian MLS teams and two canadian NASL teams, and making it to the concacaf champions league semis in 2012 and then getting our asses handed to us in Torreon and starting the MLS season 0-9), it's been mostly shit. Last season we made it into the play-in game for the playoffs only to lose 3-0 in montreal. This season:

Playoff play-in game at BMO Field in Toronto, featuring our first ever playoff goal and win:

Eastern Conference Semi Final first leg at BMO Field vs New York City FC

Domination in the second leg in NY:

Conference Finals, featuring TFC's comeback from being down 3-0 at one point in the first leg in Montreal:

5. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    @TFC Ajax - good luck to Toronto. They made a smart move in getting Govinco who was not an over the hill foreign player. He's too good for MLS.

6. I watched a few weeks ago Seattle vs Cloarado (sort of) and the Dutch commentator said Seattle has more spectators in the stadium on average than Chelsea. Other Yanks told me they on a regular basis draw big crowds.

7. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yes, I think they play in the football stadium. At one time they closed off some of the seating areas but the demand for seats was too high and they had to open them back up. They average about 44K per game.

8. ADO fans nominated by the FIFA for the new FIFA Fan Award for the "knuffel aktie" that drew attention internationally:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...rming-gesture-Sophia-Children-s-Hospital.html
    Den Haag fans bombard Feyenoord supporters with cuddly toys during Eredivisie match in heartwarming gesture for Sophia Children's Hospital
    • Den Haag fans were encouraged to bring toys to match against Feyenoord
    • During Eredivisie game they threw cuddly toys down onto tier below
    • Feyenoord fans receiving the gifts were from Sophia Children's Hospital
    By Will Griffee For Mailonline

Published: 17:45 GMT, 11 September 2016 | Updated: 17:26 GMT, 12 September 2016

Good hommage for this showing of good heart! Hope the win it:thumbsup:

9. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    And the next match they chanted "kankerchinees" to Wang...

10. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Thanks. We lost on penalties after Seattle failed to get a single shot on goal over 120 min.

He may be too good for MLS, but he'll be here for the next four seasons. The fact that he plays in MLS rules out any top team moving for him, and his salary likely rules out any good subtop team taking him on.

11. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ^^How does Toronto pay high salaries to two players: Giovinco & Bradley? Is the club profitable?

12. I read that too on Dutch tv text. I couldnot believe 120 minutes without one shot, so I asked it in one of the Yank threads if that was true.

13. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Not sure what the profits of the team are. I'm sure if they were making a profit, creative accounting would make the books show losses for tax and salary negotiation purposes. Regardless of that, TFC's franchise ownership group has a complete monopoly on Toronto sports teams. TFC is run by Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment (MLSE) which owns the Leafs (NHL) and Raptors (NBA) as well. The profits from those teams alone are so insane that any losses from TFC probably aren't even noticeable on the organization's books. MLSE, in turn, is co-owned by Rogers and Bell, who are basically the only two telecommunications companies in the country. So increased viewership directly results in more money for the owners, regardless of the TV deal

14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ^^Do they own the Blue Jays also????

15. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yes, I forgot to mention that. Rogers owns the Jays. Also the Argos are now co-owned by Bell. The city's five biggest pro teams are all owned by one or both of Rogers and Bell

16. Something weird is going on. I posted a few minutes ago something about Cruyff on our tribute thread, but I cannot find it anywhere. It doesnot show up when I select the Dutch forum, but it was shown on the forums thread before I posted in another thread.

17. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  18. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Very interesting article in today's New York Times on Liverpool's director of nutrition and how she is changing the eating habits at the club. Klopp brought her over to England from Bayern.

Sybe Pals and Umar repped this.
  19. I'm having mixed feelings about the trend of foreign top clubs sending their talents over here. Now it is Real Madrid, according to Marca, that just sent their youngest ever Real Madrid debutant supertalent
    Martin Ødegaard to join Heerenveen on loan.

I think we are wasting time and money while playing nanny for foreign club's kids. It blocks places for our own talents and in the end doesnot deliver the revenues we get from transfers of our own developed players. We in effect are adding value to those talents for other clubs and not on our own players.

20. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ^^I agree 100% with FSF's comments. There is no value at all in these loans unless the club has a right to purchase the player which is what Ajax did with Milik. Heerenveen will derive no value at all from Odegaard at all. Perhaps he scores some goals and Heerenveen qualify for EL next season but then Odegaard is no longer with the club.

21. Another loan coming in at Go Ahead Eagles. Liverpool parks Pedro Chirivella, a 19 year old midfielder originally from the Valencia academy and since 2013 under contract of the Reds.
    How many have we now running around over here?

22. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Indeed, it's a terrible development.