The On-Going "Klinsmann manages the USMNT" Thread

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Cris 09, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This should have it's own thread.

(If the mods want to place this thread someplace better - please do.)

2. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    subs for the lulz........

3. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

There will be a lot of lulz here...guaranteed! :D

4. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Do you reckon your friends will be posting?? ;)

5. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I like it.:D

6. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What an annoying thread. It brings the negativity of probable failure into this forum and the "USMNT" is of no relevance to a large number of us. Surely there are plenty of other threads covering this matter. Where are our "Berti manages Kazakhstan/Osiek manages Australia" threads?

7. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Annoying thread? Brings negativity? Probable failure? You having a bad day or something? Lighten up.

I'm sure;

1. Berti doesn't have but one or two fans on these boards.
    2. The high number of poster on the German boards are either American or live in America. Kazakhstan? Yeah....not so much.

Feel free to "unsub".

I'm sure many of us feel like discussing it here with our fellow posters rather than go to other forums all the time. As I said, This might not be the appropriate forum for it...so if the mods want to put this somewhere more appropriate on the German boards - they can.

8. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I just think Klinsmann is being hyped to hell once more.

9. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Of course he is...that usually steers up debate and discussion. Most of the time it is interesting due to differences in opinion, yet I suppose we will also see a lot of shit being thrown at the wall to see what sticks...

See? This thread is fun already. ;)

10. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What would the USA expect as an accomplishment?
    Like if they reach the quarter finals or semis?

What are their expectations?

My quick assessment, the us team are lacking in defense, matter of fact the entire league lacks defense. All the mls and us games I have watched, the defense is just 2 or 3 steps behind europe.

Their offense is not bad, they have some fire power, the world cup proved it.
    They gave away all their games because of lack of defensive discipline.

11. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The down to Earth fans (majority) would love to make it past the second round and win their local tourney over rivals Mexico. Some, based on players and talent available would like to repeat their 2002 run to the quarters. And this is possible.

Then you have our friends, the Spazzos...the fans that somehow got into sawker above the basketball, baseball and the NFL.

My guess is that they expect to win the WC in 6 years...:rolleyes:

12. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Happy about it, but I'm realistic... I'm not expecting him to mirror near what he did in Germany.

As long as he doesn't bring that Bafoon Vasquez along...Oh wait, he has....

13. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt he sticks with Vasquez at this point. He had to assemble a temporary coaching staff for the match tonight. He merely picked guys that he's familiar with.

The US doesn't have WCQ until June 2012, so he'll take his time looking at players as well as a coaching staff.

14. humin12

humin12 Member+

Sep 20, 2008
    Ferguson, Missouri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, and it is more of a problem of the team being tactically naive as a unit. Bradley brought some great things like fitness, energy, and relentlessness but he must have done something to make the make the players so retarded on the pitch.

15. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  16. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  17. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Rep to White/Blue_since1860

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox0l2ltdB6E"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox0l2ltdB6E[/ame]

Klinsmann: "Have a long road ahead of us"

Mr. Klinsmann, the American media spoke of a „shock defeat“. How shocking was the defeat of your team for you personally ?

Well, basically shocking was the result, cause we really have been superior and the guys did a great job in that game. We didn't put away our chances and we had to count the costs for that, cause they scored their goal on counterattack. We were pleased with our game performance itself, but not with the result.

What is your team still missing ? It´been your second game as coach.

Well, basically were in the process of building a new team in the direction to 2014 in Brazil. We have many, many young players rising up from the U national teams, which are really talented with their 18, 19, 20 years, but they are naturally not there where they hopefully will be in 3 years. We have a fascinating project ahead of us, a fascinating task here in the USA forming a team that will perform well in Brazil, but it will be a mid- or long-term process, things wont change here overnight.

What we could here over here is that your players are pretty enthusiastic about you and your nature. How important is that for you ?

Well, important for us all is to have fun with our task ahead, and I believe the players have realized that there is a coaching staff, which wants to establish a close relationship to the players, which helps them wherever they may play here in the US, in Mexico or in Europe, which helps them to make the next step in their career. Much has changed here in the US in the last 20 years, since 1990 the US have been qualified to play at every World Cup. Here is that big duel with Mexico in the CONCACAF zone. Many players are playing in Europe, some in the Bundesliga, some in the Premier League, one in Italy. It is a huge positive progress and thats why it is a wonderful task for me.

You have that superb international reputation as coach, not least because of your job at 2006, when you finished 3rd as Germanys coach, but you are also a radical reformer. Are you at tearing down or already rebuilding the whole thing ?

Well, we are surely in a period of change. We know there still needs a lot to be changed to reach the worlds best teams, we are surely not there. This is a country with plenty of task fields which still not have the structures of traditional soccer countries like Germany, Italy and England or in South America Brazil and Argentina – we are still far, far away of them. But by this time the Americans are very open for change and they are especially open for soccer which is not a given. Big American sports such as American Football, Baseball or Basketball have their supremacy but soccer is up-and-coming. Million of kids play soccer nowadays and we hope we can make this next step to approach the worlds best.

You have already addressed Germany and its youth. To what extend do you envy Joachim Löw, you know him well, who has this wide choice of young talented players and some of them just sitting on the bench because there are already better players on the pitch ?

Well, Im envious not at all. But it is fantastic to see how many talents rise there in Germany. It all started with that reorganization 10 years ago, initiated by Gerhard Meyer-Vorfelder, with that promotion of a young program at all 1st and 2nd Bundesliga clubs. Today we are reaping the fruits of that program, which is beautiful to see in what kind of manner all those young players are in development, especially in our offense, thats why many many countries envy us Germans.

In Germany is still that constant unrest on Phillip Lahms book. In your career you have never been a yes-men, neither as player nor as coach, you´ve been inconvenient, too. When you rethink the statements of Phillip Lahm would you say: „Yes, what Phillip said and did, I would have done it the same way“ ?

No, surely not. I think there is a boundary. Firstly, I think there needs to be an explanation of the difference between a player and a coach. A player just sees the little world around him they way he wants to see it. I had the luck in my 18 years as a pro player, to have great coaches such as Cesar Louis Menotti, Trappatoni, Rehagel, Berti Vogts and many more. So therefore I can say there is never the perfect coach for a player. As a player there is always something to complain about, something you would like to do differently. I believe only when you finished your player career and you´ll get that view for things. Then you´ll know whats the job of a coach, its not just exercises on the training ground, its to lead the whole environment. We have done that 2004-2006 at a time with those many, many problem areas. Thats why Phillips statements are nothing but unqualified and inappropriate. And by now I think a few people have told him so, too.

Well, you´ll may meet him at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, thank you very much to California: Jürgen Klinsmann. Good luck for your friendly vs. Belgium.

18. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hiring Klinsmann as the head coach is a very smart move by the USFF. And both the sides get what they want.
    Klinsmann is a fairly recent player and had a clean/ approachable image as a player. I remember he used to drive a very run down car while at Tottenham and once when Christian Gross (coach) once reached White Hart Lane a little early on a training day, he found only a white oldish looking Peugeot. He thought it to be that of the ground keeper, but he was surprised to see Klinsmann doing the rounds, inside the stadium. :D
    Long story short, he's more in tune with the common fan and has a great work ethic. And he makes the US team much more marketable. Among the non football watching people in the US and among football lovers from other countries.
    And he can coach too.;)

19. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I really like Klinsmann he's my favorite player of all time.
    I consider a real players coach, down to earth, approachable, real man of the people, someone the players will really look up to and get a lot of advice from him.

I however think he may not be the best tactician, I would consider loew much better tactical coach then Klinsmann.

But maybe he may be the right person for the USA, not as much pressure, expectations aren't the trophy like in Germany.

He'll bring his experience and style to the USA, which is good direction.

He has a euro and WC trophy under his belt, what else do you need

20. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Before judging a new coach and system you need to give him time.
    At least 8 games imo.

Results in friendlies right now are irrelevant. One can learn a lot from bad games.

21. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Even though he isn't getting the desired results, the US has looked much better while in possession of the ball than they every did under Bradly. Hopefully Klinsmann will realize that he needs to play both Dempsey and Donovan in advanced positions together. Also that kid Torres has a great future ahead of him.

22. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The USMNT boards are going nuts though. Most posters are waiting patiently for results as they know this takes time but man, there are some Spazzing out there that are already on the "Fire Klinmann" bandwagon.

23. Dr Faust

Dr Faust Member+

Jul 12, 2010
    Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Losing against Belgium is no shame these days. And it will be even less shameful in the next few years.

24. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He really should have brought someone better than Martin Vasquez along, but there really is only so much that you can do with the garbage talent that the USMNT has at their disposal.

Belgium really has a fantastic collection of talent. I hope that they make it to the EC instead of Turkey.

25. scorpion2a

scorpion2a Member

Feb 5, 2005
    All I can say is, I wish Klinsmann good luck with the US NT.