The Official Yeferson Quintana Thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Beckham7, Jan 17, 2018.

1. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He should have gotten more playing time when our season was done...like a quarter of the way through.
    On a side note, how are we finally giving affolter a chance after so many years? Not saying he played bad at all. But it’s taken 3(?) years for him to finally receive playing time in a throw away season. Which could have been used to develop Quintana instead.

2. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quintana was going to cost us a million dollars if we were going to keep him. At that price he needed to play better than he did. The Quakes are not the type of club that is going to fork over a million dollars with the hope he improves to the point where he justified that transfer fee.

3. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No point in giving playing time to a guy who is only here on loan and unlikely to be back in 2019. As soon as they knew they weren't going to pay a million dollars for Quintana, he had no use beyond his ability to help the team in the 2018 season itself.

But they should have been giving minutes to younger players NOT on loan (TT, Yueill, Calvillo, Fuentes, etc.) much much earlier than they did....

markmcf8 repped this.
  4. sj_vanbasten

sj_vanbasten Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It may seem like 3 years, but Affolter was brought in mid-way through last year. I don't think he's gotten time on the field he needed to show through. Maybe next year if they rate him.

markmcf8, alexiskool1991 and davez repped this.
  5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He is worth $1 million? Wow guess that’s the norm with the exception of MLS.....

6. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently not, since we didn't exercise the option to buy. (he is only worth $1 million if someone is willing to pay that much).

xbhaskarx and DotMPP repped this.
  7. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Wasn't Danny's original buy clause a similar amount? However the Quakes declined it and worked out a different amount.

8. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    You are right, and quite clearly Hoesen showed enough in his first season to warrant another (extended) look. Our challenge with Quintana was that Stahre buried him so deep by the time Ralston took over, there wasn't enough time to evaluate him at all. Another example of Stahre's failure.

alexiskool1991 repped this.
  9. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn’t that impressed by Quintana. He mostly just tried to throw his big body around, and he made some pretty stupid fouls. How many red cards did he get in his limited minutes? He wasn’t very mobile either. I think it’s really sad that teams ignore American CBs over young imports like this

10. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had zero red cards, 3 yellow cards, and 14 fouls in 794 minutes played.
    So, one foul committed per 57 minutes played, similar to what Ockford had, (one every 60 minutes).

11. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Wow it really has been only a year and a half. It feels like we signed him specifically to be on the bench. I liked what I saw from him in the final games, however.

12. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The whole situation with the center backs was strange. Cummings played for a while, and then didn't, for some reason (I don't recall another major injury). Jungwirth was stuck back there sometimes, Affolter almost never played, Quintana didn't play much. It was just managed so poorly, it's really no wonder why the team's defense was so poor. Even the guys who got lots of playing time like Lima didn't play all that well.

I thought Quintana showed pretty well in a few games, but wasn't a clear starter compared to the other players. I don't know how much of that was him or how much was just the situation, but I don't think the Quakes are going to be cursing themselves for passing on the transfer fee there.

Unfortunately, there's still tons of uncertainty in the backline, and kind of expect we'll see two players signed to replace whomever might have played there in 2019 otherwise.

markmcf8 repped this.
  13. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm that’s funny, I thought for sure I saw him make a horrible tackle at least twice. And I’m surprised to see he started 10 games. I would have thought he started only 5-6 times. Sorry my memory is so faulty...

markmcf8 repped this.
  14. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    markmcf8 repped this.
  15. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the money, this was probably a good decision. That said, if either Cummings or Kashia are going to start in center defense next season, we will need a faster partner for them. Quintana was faster than the rest of our central defenders. I thought he looked pretty goood, but then Dim Stahre's coaching decisions left me baffled most of the time. (Which might mean that we're both stupid, just in different ways.)

In any case, we need new defenders.

I think we should keep one of Kashia or Cummings, but not both. And we keep Ockford as a backup. (He's similar to both Cummings and Kashia, an organizing defender, not very fast, good positioning. Tough as nails.) The only reason to keep Kashia is to make Vako happy. I'd just as soon send them both packing.

Affolter played better the last couple of games than I recalled, but I still wouldn't keep him.

And we still need a left back, assuming four in the back, and then we need at least one or two backups for the outside defenders, as we have none right now.

We're in a world of hurt. We mismanaged our roster, our season, our players, and our fans. We need some serious help, right now.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

davez repped this.
  16. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Depends on how the team is organized. More speed is better everything else being equal, and I'm definitely not against signing a better center back, but if the defensive midfielder is going to play directly in front of the defense the majority of the game, the speed of the backline is less of liability.

I'd prefer that the central defenders be the best readers of the game on the field, and I don't get that feeling with any of the defensive players currently signed to the Quakes. They all seem to be pretty bad at it, actually, and often get caught out not because of their lack of speed, but lack of awareness of what's going on around them. That has to change.

alexiskool1991 and Sactown Soccer repped this.