The Official Yeferson Quintana Thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Beckham7, Jan 17, 2018.

1. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Guy looks like he has the temperament of an alpha male/ leader to replace Muma seamlessly.

Here he is shown backing Felipe Melo into a corner, who in his time with Juventus was known as one of the most aggressive players in Europe:

2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    "Utilize his space"? Leakin' a little oil there, 'shakes? :)

Hoesen is pretty good at being the target for long balls, and in fact when he played as left mid, the Quakes targeted him a lot. It was kind of weird - a "target" left mid. But he also has the "space" to run onto through balls. So he makes a good partner to Wondo, who is not particularly well-suited to either of those things.

3. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Before everyone gets too carried away, there is some chatter on reddit about this guy not actually being that good. I mean not bad, but not necessarily that good. One person who watched some of his games said he was mistake-prone, and another - a Uruguayan fan, said that he lacked some in distribution and marking, that Penaról fans were not necessary sad to see him leave, and that $1 mil seemed like too much for this guy.

OTOH he is only 21, so even if he is just passable at this point, he is likely to get better.

4. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, just wasn't pulling with both oars in the water. :p

5. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Or maybe playing with a few cards short of a full deck :).

6. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's ok, as long as I still have a joker to play.;)

7. Tom Szabo

Tom Szabo Member

Dec 31, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Clearly if he was a finished product there would be no loan. The guy has played a handful of games with Peñarol and did okay. He had a couple of really bad games but he was not a consistent starter so really never got a solid footing in the team. Peñarol has two experienced, relatively young CBs in Formiliano and Arias who are the starters (if not injured) and the team is also looking to add a veteran defender. The team is built to win titles, not develop young players. Quintana is 21 and needs competitive game time and experience to complete his development. This is a critical period for him as he has the opportunity to raise his game to an elite level. Hope the Quakes will give him that chance, and that he makes full use of it.

8. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Sure, I wanted to just cool the jets a bit - people just assuming that he's already a great player because he's 6'4" and South American and he ran a guy into a corner.

9. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one said he was already a great player because he ran someone into a corner.

Had to do with what his intimidation factor could be.

"Guy looks like he has the temperament of an alpha male/ leader to replace Muma seamlessly."

10. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #60 JazzyJ, Jan 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    "Temperament of an alpha male to replace Muma seamlessly" is one of the many positive comments I've read where people are just assuming this is a great signing because he's South American (therefore must have great feet, right!), he's tall, and has a good mean face. I'm saying better hold your horses until we see the guy play. I mean we could have played Mike Tyson at CB during his prime, and I don't think it would have been a good choice.

11. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh Mike Tyson would have been a great choice, sure he would get a red card but only after knocking out five guys, and then we'd have a huge numbers advantage even down to 10 men...

12. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    What does this have to do with him being South American and who's assuming he will be great? Penarol are a club with supporters used to watching players that get snapped up by European clubs, so their criticism isn't exactly surprising. If Quintana were perfect, he'd be going to Spain.

Quintana is clearly not afraid of a fight and is willing to get physical, which is one of the many reasons he seems promising. That doesn't guarantee he's a star by any means, but I would never apply any of those descriptors to someone like Affolter, for instance -- so he is at least filling that physicality void in our roster that Muma's departure created.

13. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I wasn't responding only to your comment. I have seen almost nothing but giddy positiveness about this signing, and actually, on paper, he is exactly the type of player I have been "lobbying" for the Quakes to sign. I'm simply offering a bit of caution. We haven't seen the guy play. So sue me!

14. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Excitement about a promising player is allowed, even if you still have PTSD from the Doyle years! :)

Everything about this move passes the eye and sniff test, but it can't pass the taste test until the season starts

15. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    And so is a word of caution!

16. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the highlight videos, I can see what they are saying. He's pretty darn slow and some of the stops he made were pretty lucky. Hopefully Cummings is fast.

17. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

18. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Wrong again, shakerman. It's Paul Protector, protecting the fragile, naive psyches here from potential disillusionment.

[​IMG]

19. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Paul Protector seems unable to decide if he’s a Pirate or Superman...

DotMPP repped this.
  20. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    He's a Pirate Superman, even better.

21. Tom Szabo

Tom Szabo Member

Dec 31, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    LOL. I think there is a lot of agreement here, this guy on paper and in Youtube highlights is solid, which isn't saying all that much. But it is saying WAY MORE than what Quakes fans are used to, and for that a few moments of euphoria are excusable.

RocktheCasbah4 repped this.
  22. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Sure, and as is a cautionary word.

23. Tom Szabo

Tom Szabo Member

Dec 31, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yes absolutely. Worst case he's a flop and goes back to Uruguay after the season.

JazzyJ repped this.
  24. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that's it actually. I think it's the rumored $1 million cost of a buy out and that he'd then be a DP defender, which is a rare thing. So, that price tag says they think he's at a different level. But if he doesn't turn out to be as good as that price tag suggests, not a huge deal as they just won't buy him.

25. Tom Szabo

Tom Szabo Member

Dec 31, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    They think he could be at a different level, he's a 21 year old who has played just a few professional games. Fioranelli knows the value of young defenders especially CBs who have proven themselves at a higher level ($5 million up to $25 million for European teams). So at $1 million he actually would be considered just an average quality for MLS level.