The Official Welcome Keylor Navas Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Lyra, Aug 3, 2014.

1. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got nothing but love for Navas. Has been a fantastic servant to the club. It's really sad to see him ride the bench when he is still very capable of being the #1. But I guess the club is really taking the long view on this one.

2. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I like how you're out here criticizing the club for the squad composition when Zidane pretty much bullied the hell out of James (a player you blame the club for sending out), and then continued to bully players that came in after him in Ceballos with stuff like 2 minute subs.

If Zidane would have been more efficient with the squad that he had, maybe we wouldn't have been 15 points behind last season.

3. Lyra

Lyra Member+

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He'll be playing only CdR games under Solari. I don't know how he's comfortable with that.

4. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It was always completely pointless to have both Navas and Courtois here. Neither will be able to get settled with the defense, both will be nervous when playing because of over eagerness to establish themselves and in the end there will always be media crap about who is not playing.

It was such a simple choice to thank Keylor for his service and recoup some money off him, while keeping Lunin as a goalkeeper for CdR games and a couple of liga games here and there.

Excape Goat repped this.
  5. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I am 100% sure we did exactly that, and Keylor gave an interview saying he's not leaving and willfight for the position. You can't kick out a player that has a contract, much less one that has been an example like Keylor.

Digital and Ahmadi8 repped this.
  6. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Didn't we basically force him to go to Manchester 2-3 years ago in the De Gea swap? When an offer is accepted, the player negotiates.

We never had a problem kicking players out (even legends), I don't know how this has become controversial. Personally Im sure someone at the club thought it would be a good idea to 'rotate' two worldclass keepers; hell many on this forum share the same idea.

7. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Keylor made it clear he'd rather sit out/play through his contract than negotiate.

8. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    The DeGea situation was different because MU was going to get Navas so there was a team to take him to push him out.
    In this case Navas would’ve had to find a new club in the few days left before the transfer window closed after we signed Courtouis.
    I never heard Chelsea wanting a swap.

9. Nathanial Essex

Nathanial Essex Member+

Real Madrid
    England
    Mar 19, 2017
    I am realistic about the club taking the long view but the change should have happened next year when Courtois and De Gea were available for free. There was no need to rush this transfer through. Should have given Navas more respect in my opinion.

robnycus repped this.
  10. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. He's defending 3 consecutive CL titles. I think he deserves to keep his place, especially since it appeared the clubs "strategy" this season was to keep the team intact and test them without Ronaldo.

Maybe Flo's worried about the amount of heat on Bale and Benz and sees this as a way to deflect and distract since a lot of attention will be given to the GK position after any loss (or goal for that matter).

11. Lyra

Lyra Member+

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  12. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Anon. and Ayayain repped this.
  13. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    He is right though

He had a right to be pissed about sharing the games though he had not failed us but he was a pro about it

But he is not even playing anymore. He has always done everything right. Earned his spot,never complained, was a part of our success

Only to get relegated by a lesser keeper because the other keeper is a bigger name

Drouchk and robnycus repped this.
  14. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    J-Mezzy repped this.
  15. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He came and replaced Casillas who had won more trophies than he had won matches with Levante.

Back then he probably felt Iker's past was irrelevant to who should play, now he feels that his past should guarantee him a spot, just like Iker did.

Quite ironic.

Anon., ahnaf and Yannick Relens repped this.
  16. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    Only difference being Iker was playing like shit for almost two seasons, while Navas was in the form of his life.

Not even close to the same scenario

Lyra, J-Mezzy and robnycus repped this.
  17. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Navas was absolutely shocking in some matches last season. The Bayern match in Munich and the Juve match in Spain were absolute shockers.

Had we gone out that night vs Juve, keylor would have took a lot of the blame on himself. He had a brilliant night VS Bayern at the Bernabeu, and a fantastic final, but for me he had started becoming a very controversial choice.

Aimar 21, -Reivax-, Anon. and 2 others repped this.
  18. Yannick Relens

Yannick Relens Member+

Real Madrid
    Belgium
    Jan 21, 2018
    So he was replaced by the deal of the century by a 25 yo old goalie and refused to pack his bags. And now he doesnt play . What a shock !

I like him but this is reality.

MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  19. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I understand his argument, but Iker had won the CL vs Atleti when Keylor started playing. Where was the whole title this title that back then?

20. Varnagel

Varnagel Member+

Nothing
    Sweden
    Jun 4, 2017
    You can't compare the situations between Casillas/Keylor.

Casillas was genuinely atrocious during his final seasons for Real Madrid and even someone like Diego Lopez (who wasn't exactly an elite GK) was ahead of him in the pecking order. Casillas got his spot back after his friends on Spanish media literary forced Diego Lopez out from the club with some disgusting smearing campaigns like they did with José Mourinho.

On the other hand, Keylor Navas is still in his prime as one of the best GKs in the world who suddenly lost his status as a starter in favour for Courtois who hasn't really been an upgrade so far.

robnycus and J-Mezzy repped this.
  21. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    #1246 robnycus, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    Casillas sucks back then.. like really sucks. There is no comparison . Navas was named best keeper in UEFA.
    Is an insult to Navas to make such comparison .. just this season when he played he was flawless.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  22. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yeah there is no comparison whatsoever.

23. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Weird and complicated situation that unfortunately has no happy ending for Navas. Always felt like he should have requested a transfer the moment he knew Tibo was coming. He could be starting for a lot of clubs.

Anon. repped this.
  24. Drouchk

Drouchk Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 9, 2018
    #1249 Drouchk, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    Courtois starting over him is still a head scratcher to me, I don’t see a single thing that Courtois does better, I thought with his bigger frame that we’d look more secure during corners etc... and even that isn’t happening.
    For the most part ( not always ....for people with comprehension problems )with Courtois when our defense is beaten it’s a guaranteed goal, if the shot is on target it’s in, Navas made incredible saves that he had no business making on a regular basis, sure he’s made mistakes before but there isn’t a single GK who hasn’t made them.
    He also had a solid relationship with or back line .

25. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It was suggested to him, but he wanted to stay. He was probably confident, but like I said earlier, he knew the club was looking for an alternative.

Maybe he felt if he left, and had a bad start at another club it would tarnish his legacy in Madrid.