The Official Victor Bernárdez thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Druid Squirrel

Dec 15, 2000
    A hollow tree
    The only times Bernardez looked really bad were when we were playing three in the back. He just isn't fast enough to play in a 3-back system. But if we're going to play a 4-4-2, where speed is less of an issue, I thought maybe he would stick on the roster, albeit not as a starter. We need at least four center backs (for two starting spots) on the roster, and it seemed like he could have been a solid, veteran backup. I guess they wanted to go younger/cheaper at that spot, though. Hard to argue with that decision, but it's still sad to see him go. Unlike some players, he always gave his all for the team.

Neuwerld and mjlee22 repped this.
  2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He put the Quakes into the playoffs with his assist but also made costly mistakes. In the end, his time was up.

3. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    The one thing I always liked about Muma was when he went for a ball. The opponent had a choice...either get the hell out of his way, or get hit by a truck. I always HATED playing against CB's like that, but really liked having him in our side!

mjlee22 and RocktheCasbah4 repped this.
  4. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    He could absolutely toy with strikers, especially the wimpier ones. Freddy Montero comes to mind. Muma could make him look like a little kid, and he'd repeatedly steal his candy.

mjlee22 and RocktheCasbah4 repped this.
  5. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ABSOLUTELY! Maybe we should all email/tweet Jesse with that suggestion.

sacrxy and bsman repped this.
  6. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK you guys, make yourselves useful! Send Jared Shawlee an email or tweet or something.

935884917069586435 is not a valid tweet id

sacrxy, bsman and don gagliardi repped this.
  7. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Based on all of the "thanks Muma" material on the Quakes web site, I think something like this is already well in their crosshairs. For example, this story goes into how Muma said goodbye and hugged everyone in the office, etc.

https://www.sjearthquakes.com/post/...s-say-goodbye-thank-you-victor-muma-bernardez

Doesn't hurt to send messages though, just in case!

mjlee22 repped this.
  8. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Retweeted (or whatever the kids are calling it these days...)

mjlee22 repped this.
  9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I guess they can give him an award but I never got into testimonial games....

10. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would they have asked you to play?

11. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Present Vic with a Quakes Hall of Fame jersey, and then someday when he's no longer with us, he should be muma-fied.

DotMPP repped this.
  12. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I realize the timing is what it is, but still it would be nice for fans to be able to say goodbye and thanks to favorite players when management decides to pull the plug. Same thing happened with Busch. One day we woke up and the FO told us he'd gone to live on a farm.

don gagliardi and bsman repped this.
  13. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well if we look at history, how many players have the new quakes recognized in a stadium?
    1. Ramiro Corrales when he left
    2. Huckerby i think when he left
    3. Joe Cannon in 2017

my memory sucks, so the above might be wrong... But who else?

14. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Who else is worth remembering?

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  15. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    "At half time of the match between the San Jose Earthquakes and Chicago Fire on September 29, 2010, Cerritos became the second player inducted into the San Jose Earthquakes Hall of Fame."

markmcf8 and DotMPP repped this.
  16. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big Vic bobblehead night!

don gagliardi repped this.
  17. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Oh man, he would make a great bobblehead subject. Why hasn't it been done yet? It's gotta have the scowl! Best scowl in MLS, bar none!

mjlee22 repped this.
  18. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's hope we all get the chance to show him what he meant to us.

[​IMG]

Just be careful.

natenate101, DotMPP and tectonicnight repped this.
  19. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NOOOOOO Smooooches :eek:

20. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ohhh right, Quakes Hall of Fame.
    So that includes John Doyle, right? ...

21. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    966131503565561856 is not a valid tweet id

bigdumbgod, NedZ and don gagliardi repped this.
  22. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    These "academies" (e.g. Red Star, Thorns, Barcelona, Liverpool, etc.) are popping up like mushrooms after a rainstorm. I'm not sure if they are particularly efficient at turning out elite youth players, but I believe that they are all incredibly adept at separating parents from money. The major change I've seen over the past 25 or so years in the youth game is the amount of coinage it takes to have a kid in competitive soccer. I'm not really sure that the level of play and skill possessed by the players has increased commensurate with the cost of participation. To me, it's sad, and an indictment of the past several USSF administrations - which have all focused exclusively on the "elite" levels of the game to the great detriment of the grassroots. I would love to see the new adminstration commit to taking some of the money that is currently flowing to MLS, ODP, etc. and invest it in fields and leagues for urban kids, and other things like that, instead of almost exclusively focusing on the narrow end of the funnel. I have not had a kid in youth soccer for ten years, so my observations come as a dispassionate observer (i.e. referee) and not as a participant.

<rant mode off>

23. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    San Jose could use more than 50 additional recreational soccer fields according to a now nearly decade-old study.

24. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yet, registration money collectetd from families with kids in USSF-affiliated leagues (e.g. CYSA, US Club, etc.) is still funelled up to the top, with precious little being spent at the local level which is, apparently, uninteresting to the lords of US soccer....

25. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Our AYSO league charges $150 for a roughly three-month fall season. The level of competition is decent, and the coaching at the higher levels pretty good, as volunteer coaches are required to take a lot of training. Unlike club, they are coaching their kids and kids' friends, so they learn the names and care about the players.

Nonetheless, there's been a steady migration of AYSO players, not just from us but all regions, to clubs. Even the daisy pickers, who would be better served by our program, are heading there for the "prestige." Palo Alto alone has five club leagues, competing with one another and all charging thousands of dollars a year. Where it will all end, I do not know.