The Official US Impressive Little Kid Video Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by SUDano, Aug 19, 2011.

1. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    If you want to start a impressive youth first touch thread, or the great youth defending thread have at it. I think we all get that there are many other skills needed to become a top level pro. Etienne is with the NY Red Bull Academy and is probably adding nuance to his game, rounding it out. The basis for adding skills to a young players game is ball skills and movement. These videos can show it more than the subtle skills you mention.

How's this then Juan Riley U13 Weston FC Fl. Not the individual skills but seems to hit a nice long ball with vision.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J90dEib8_to"]Juan Diego Riley Video Highlights - YouTube[/ame]

2. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Unfortunately, at the moment most of them are.

Hopefully some things start to change in the coaching ranks to allow these players to further develop.

3. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL

Looking good playing from a deep position!!! Keep em coming!

4. Soccer888

Soccer888 Red Card

Mar 28, 2011

Breaking News! new 14-year old wonderkid!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPe8ByCkRFM"]Freddy Adu Ruins the opposing players - YouTube[/ame]

5. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This kid may not have the uncanny close ball control as the others but he still has a good touch. His passing is very good.

6. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    This is a great thread. But... why isn't it in the Youth & High School Soccer forum?

7. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I just never go to that forum. And thought that those interested in Youth National Teams would be interested in Pre Youth National Team possibilities. That means technically the Jack Gilliam, Nicholas Russo, Diego Fagundez, Logan Bunbury, etc threads should all be moved too.

8. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Nobody goes to youth and hs soccer really. I would like to see this thread stickied even.

9. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, that's for soccer moms and other declasse folks. We're all above that.

10. RerunStubs

RerunStubs Member

Dec 8, 2006
    It's good to know we have a central Big Soccer location for overhyping adolescents based on selective YouTube clips.

11. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    You can overhype them, I'll just watch them.

12. Cavalier

Cavalier Member

Sep 9, 1999
    SuDANO, thank you. I wasn't trying to be snide, I really am wondering when and how these other skills are to be taught such that they don't destroy the creative dribbling and attacking skills which most of these videos show.

Passing and movement off the ball are used at the professional level at something like a 10-to-1 ratio to the types of skills show here, but at the same time obviously you don't want to destroy these kids' natural talents and tendencies to pull off those one-on-one skills when appropriate by forcing them to always pass instead, thus my question.

13. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Very good points. In my opinion this is another reason why a professional progression ladder is needed. Once you have these type skills you need to move to the next level playing with and against other top players to add those other skills. If you're so much better than other players on your team or the players you are playing against you can get away with alot of bad decisions. Just dribble through them. You don't pass to poor players who can't one touch them back to you. You don't trust your teammates. You don't know what it means to play against other big, skilled, players who know how to play. You also need to know about defensive spacing and winning balls back. Seems like Etienne at NY RedBulls and Riley at Weston are in good places. But watching Riley vs some of those players doesn't make always the best pass to a teammate and always kicked long.
    He may know 'Johnny' sucks so don't pass him the ball. To be honest you really can't tell in these videos because they show such limited amount of information. Bottom line these videos are really for entertainment purposes and not too much should be read into them.
    The videos show them with the ball, show their supposed best, cameras may not have been at every game, do not always show them vs great competition and not always in their developmental team with which they know well.

14. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
  15. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Thank you.

Some people get so paranoid about overhyping kids (especially since Adu), that they just can't sit back and enjoy clips like these. I enjoy watching these and seeing the skill level of some of these kids compared to when I was their age 15 years or so ago.

1 person likes this.
  16. RerunStubs

RerunStubs Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Watch them to what end?

This is a bit like viewing random, edited clips from some unknown 5th grade rec basketball game in order to assess the potential of the 2020 NBA draft (or, even worse, to pretend to glean something about the state of youth basketball in America).

17. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    To what end? For enjoyment. No end. In the now.
    This is not to assess professional potential. If you don’t understand the context of these videos please don’t project your insecurities onto the rest of us who do.
    If they didn’t want anyone to watch them they wouldn’t be posted on YOUTUBE. Its only in a central location for those who may enjoy watching talented youth soccer players. I can't get to youth soccer games. Last time I checked they still play youth games in public for spectators to watch them. If you don’t enjoy it then there is no need to click on it and post anything on this thread.
    Do you need us to post a disclaimer to not assess professional potential 10 yrs away while viewing these videos. Do you think we really need to?

18. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For fun? IOW the whole point of the sport for the vast majority of the people in the world who play and watch it?

And I think we underestimate the pragmatic value of "fun" when it comes to soccer in this country. One of the very best ways to grow this sport is for it to be fun. Maybe a hard fought 0-0 midfield struggle between ballwinners is great for the already converted, but for the casual fan it's enough to keep you away from soccer for quite some time.

Taking the joy out of this sport in a relentless pursuit of "good soccer" is a great way to reduce the number of kids who play it and further reduce the number of kids obsessed with it to the point of getting really good at it.

Kids playing imaginative, risk taking, and sometimes outrageous soccer is crucial to our further development. When their tricks stop working, they should come up with better tricks instead of stopping the tricks altogether. I'm afraid we too often choose the latter path...

19. ark215

ark215 Member

Jan 16, 2009
    America
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Juan Pablo Angel's kid (I'm not sure if he's American though).

20. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tomy Angel, he's 8 so he probably wasn't born here, but he's lived here at least half his life.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLHPB3fuGn4"]Lionel Messi Kid (8 yrs Old) Full HD 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

21. RerunStubs

RerunStubs Member

Dec 8, 2006
    I'm not projecting anything. In your own words, you posted this thread in this forum because you "thought that those interested in Youth National Teams would be interested in Pre Youth National Team possibilities." If your interest in these videos is far narrower, to simply watch video clips hyping the skills of 10 year-old players for the inherent entertainment value, then knock yourself out.

22. RerunStubs

RerunStubs Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Yeah, my point was that soccer shouldn't be fun. Thanks for the careful reading of my posts.

23. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Damn, someone really pissed in your oatmeal. If you know anything about SUDano on this forum, he's going to be the last poster to overhype a kid and call him a future superstar.

24. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    You're being very selective. I also said 'instead of starting a new thread for each kid to somehow falsely indicate he will definately make it as a National Team Player'
    Maybe I shoudn't have used those words. I was hoping people would emphasize the words pre, youth, possibilites and demphasize the word National Team. My mistake. As I've explained to your disdain there is no hype here. Can we keep this thread here for those who enjoy them and for those like you who don't can you not click on this thread?
    Is that ok?

25. 3SamSoccer

3SamSoccer New Member

May 15, 2011
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dehU4xMiqc"]Samuel Elwood (12 year old) The little things pt.3 - YouTube[/ame]
    Samue Elwood
    u13