The Official Tom Fox thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, May 31, 2017.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An EPL Exec... Hmm, soon there will only be photo's of US citizen players at Avaya and nary a Yank to be found on the roster...

(comment based on complaints read over the years about how few Brits actually play in the EPL)

3. Ultan

Ultan Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Pacifica
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Good, Kaval was always going to ditch us for A's glory (can't blame him either). Wonder if he can hire and fire playing staff.

I'm sure it will get quite the attention, but I think he was set up for failure with Villa, and shouldn't be an indication of future performance. It was an absolute basket case scenario outside of his hands, in my very humble opinion.

DotMPP repped this.
  4. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    He doesn't sound very British. The article makes it sound like he's an American.

5. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    He is American, I think, which explains why there are articles written in England implying he didn't know what he was doing. They like to dislike American managers at their clubs, because, after all, we aren't a "footballing nation", so how could we possibly know what we're doing?

6. Blackball

Blackball Member

May 23, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Kaval brought a lot of professionalism to the organization when he joined, it was a step up and you could see that in the difference in 2011 versus the prior 2-3 years (advertisers, gameday experience etc.). And completing the Avaya stadium project was a great accomplishment. But at the end of day, Kaval was for sure always a baseball guy and not a soccer guy. By the time Avaya opened in 2015, the Quakes were just catching up with the rest of MLS on facilities front-- like RSL, PHI and COR. But MLS was already moving ahead, based on stadiums at ORL, ATL, TOR stadiums and the rosters they are putting together (OK, ORL still lagging on the roster front).

But Doyle was a disaster, and I am unsure if it was the owners tendency to keep on longtime members of the organization or if it was because Kaval didn't know better being a baseball guy, . We lucked into 2012 because of good 2010 draft picks, a few good signings, and the Wondo-Weaver miracle trade. But personnel-wise the Quakes were in now way prepared for what MLS has become. Aside from the LA and Seattle machines continuing to roll on, look at NYCFC and ATL. They are bringing in high quality signings from South America or Europe at peak of their careers, and Doyle would have still been scouting the Gold Cup or signing chronically injured players off the scrap heap like Innocent or Andreas Gorlitz.

So my hope is Fox demands more from the technical and coaching staff, and enables them financially to deliver it. If the results improve, the Quakes can sell out Avaya. But if they really want to be relevant in the Bay Area, they need to bring in talented, big names that win games and bring attention-- essentially betting on local TV ratings and MLS growth instead of wringing the cashflow out of Avaya. I would love to see it, but I would have to see it to believe it.

bpc, Quakes05, DotMPP and 7 others repped this.
  7. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Good post. You should post more often :).

BTW can the rest of the league just stop advancing for a while so we can catch up?

mjlee22 and Earthshaker repped this.
  8. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    And...https://www.reddit.com/r/avfc/comments/6ei4wx/opinions_on_tom_fox/

This is not a Jesse signing -- I have not yet read a single positive comment about the guy. He's an American whose career bombed in the UK and he's looking to get a ride back home.

I realize Dave checked out a while ago, but he's smart, he's savvy, and even if he wasn't a soccer guy, he learned enough to keep the business end going. Whereas Fox started his sports career with...Gatorade? I hope he adds more value than he sucks out of the organization.

Beerking and bobby_guzman repped this.
  10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Every fans dream! Another no name executive finance guy! Looking forward to what will happen in terms of postseason trophies.....

11. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    ...what? MLS already has a pretty relaxed policy with regard to the number of international players a team can field in conjunction with players who have received permanent residency status counting as domestic (in case you haven't noticed, few of the current starting players for San Jose are American citizens). A team president for the Earthquakes isn't going to change the way the league handles this.

And secondly, who cares? MLS doesn't exist as a league solely for American players.

12. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I previously expressed the same sentiment and received blowback. So, evidently, there are Quakes fans on this board who care about indigenous professional opportunities for American-born players. There is a perspective that MLS has migrated from its purported mission to serve as a breeding ground for the USMNT to become more competitive in the World Cup. It's worth at least understanding that view, even if you disagree with it, as apparently both you and I do.

QuakeAttack repped this.
  13. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Your last paragraph speaks volumes Blackball. We live in perhaps the richest region on Earth with nearly 9 million folks...START ACTING AND OPERATING LIKE A BIG MARKET TEAM (because, well, you are one..)

ant0n, bobby_guzman and tenfourteen repped this.
  14. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm fine as long as Fox stays out of Fioranelli's way on the soccer side. I'm also curious to know if Jesse had any say or recommendation in the hiring.

Beerking, bobby_guzman and don gagliardi repped this.
  16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I can live with the new hire as long as he stays out of Jesse's way. But I will still be disappointed if the new president does not make an effort to understand and adapt to our special Club culture, as Jesse has done.

Beerking, bobby_guzman and DotMPP repped this.
  17. Trudge

Trudge Member

Feb 28, 2017
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Don't count on it.

Tom Fox's disastrous Aston Villa reign will be remembered for his lack of football knowledge

Former Aston Villa chief sees salary package more than double in same season club is relegated from Premier League to Championship

Aston Villa chief executive Tom Fox says manager Paul Lambert has the full support of the club and remains important to owner Randy Lerner.
    Villa have taken only 12 points from their last 18 Premier League games, but Fox told BBC Sport sacking Lambert mid-season would be like "flipping a coin".
    "When things aren't going well, fans bay for that type of blood," Fox said.
    "That's not the way that I or the owner are going to make a decision. It's a false narrative."
    (Fires coach 2 weeks later)

This is a disastrous appointment. He oversaw the decimation of one of the greatest clubs in football history, which ended up in them arriving in the English Championship with a squad devoid of leaders or talent.

Beerking and mjlee22 repped this.
  18. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Dave Kaval had zero football knowledge when he was hired, but he was a quick study. I'm not talking tactics, I'm talking the very specific culture of this Club.

Likewise, my own technical knowledge of the Beautiful Game is relatively lacking compared to many on BigSoccer but I'm steeped in the Quakes' Club culture, which is much different from the Timbers' culture, for example. And I was a late-comer, myself.

So let's give the guy a chance.

19. Trudge

Trudge Member

Feb 28, 2017
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He can have lunch with Crazy George and sit with the Ultras if he wants, I want a president who is going to make smart moves for the football club. Kaval may have had no knowledge of this, but been a quick study. What Kaval didn't have was a history of failure in a similar position. Fox does. It was bloody painful watching Aston Villa's decline, and I'm not even a fan of that club.

20. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's Krazy with a K. And the Ultras don't sit. :)

sj_oldtimer, DotMPP and bobby_guzman repped this.
  21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Doesn

sj_oldtimer and DotMPP repped this.
  22. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You can't compare Dave to Fox. Dave has two degrees from Stanford, including an MBA, whereas Fox graduated from Miami of Ohio and until he got sucked into soccer in 2009, his primary sports experience was in marketing Gatorade. Fox was paid the equivalent of $1.6mm in salary for Aston Villa. I expect Dave wasn't earning quite that much. Dave may not have had soccer experience but this is a business position, and he had successful organizational management experience. Whereas Fox...ugh, I don't get it.

Beerking repped this.
  23. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Covfefe?

sj_oldtimer, DotMPP, xbhaskarx and 4 others repped this.
  24. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Portland's mayor has degrees from Stanford, Columbia, and Harvard.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Wheeler

Yet, he manifestly cannot perform the most basic function expected of him -- defending the Constitution. Color me unimpressed by designer degrees.

ant0n, sj_oldtimer and DotMPP repped this.
  25. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Portland's mayor isn't our new president, and as far as I know, you don't live there. He's not telling you how to do your job, so...