The Official Steven Lenhart thread: The Next Generation

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Dec 20, 2011.

1. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I wish more players had his can-do attitude. And I'm glad that more players don't have his devil-may-care behavior. Like biking without shoes. We could have gotten another three years out of him, or rather, he might have actually been playing during the years that we paid him.

2. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Three years is generous. The guy had a short shelf life. Large body, reckless, not particularly bright. He could have had another year in MLS with a decent score rate, but the league passed player like him by very quickly. 2012 was the last gasp of the Neanderthal, as it were (though it's not a particularly good expression as it would be unfair to label Neanderthals as unintelligent).

He hit a career high under some crazy coinciding circumstances, but he was never going to repeat that success and the Quakes would have been roughly as bad, anyway. What happened to him was inevitable.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  3. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Oh well, we'll always have the chia head!

[​IMG]

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Coincidentally, 2012 was the Quakes last gasp at greatness. Can't believe 5 years have passed....

markmcf8 repped this.
  5. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't. He ripped off the Quakes to the tune of several hundred thousand dollars.

6. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Their own stupidity did that. They re-signed him knowing he wouldn't be able to play because Doyle is a moron.

doppelganger and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  7. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Missed the chia, got the wig.

No matter what you think of him, he provided us with some unforgettable entertainment. Who among us will forget the Josh Saunders red card? Maybe his behavior wasn't always befitting of a professional, but I'd rather see a mediocre player with heart than an overpaid has-been who can barely be bothered to phone it in. We've had more than our share of those.

8. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, the Quakes stupidity contributed, but it doesen't make Lenhart any less the thief. Is someone leaves their car door unlocked, it doesn't make the car thief any less dishonest.

9. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This reminds me of a public service TV ad that was popular when I was a kid. "Lock your car. Take your keys. Don't help a good boy go bad." You have to wonder that the victim was somehow to blame for empowering the "good boy."

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If he was hurt, what was he supposed to do? If you feel bad about him, how do you feel for Innocent who walked about with over $2 million for 13 games?

vjle and Earthshaker repped this.
  11. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The assumption is that he held the team to the contract even though he knew he couldn't play. But it's possible that he offered to break the contract and for whatever reason, the team declined.

Earthshaker repped this.
  12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sadly, no one seems or wants to remember the fact the Lenny suffered a major psychological breakdown after the passing of his father in 2011 when he took a leave of absence from the team and the game. I know he was a professional and maybe should have accepted things different that most ordinary people but somehow we all forget that pro athletes are human too.

vjle repped this.
  13. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Sorry, but I'm the queen of major psychological breakdowns, and my father died when I was 15. He's an adult and a professional and he would have gotten more respect if he had retired at the point he realized that he couldn't keep up with with the game psychologically or physically. . There are plenty of jobs that you can do without becoming emotionally invested in your work. Soccer is not one of them. If you don't have the passion, it shows.

14. vjle

vjle Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    FWIW, I don't think his father simply "died." I don't know for sure, but my memory is that it was considerably more tragic than that.

15. vjle

vjle Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This happens all the time in professional sports, and it's not theft. Every player is under the constant threat that their livelihood could evaporate in an instant, and contracts that pay them when they are injured are partial compensation for that risk. Anything less would be incredibly unfair to the athletes.

markmcf8, hc897, don gagliardi and 2 others repped this.
  16. vjle

vjle Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Lenny played with all his heart on a team that had little more than heart going for it.

markmcf8 and alexiskool1991 repped this.
  17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #842 falvo, May 3, 2017
    Last edited: May 3, 2017
    Yes you are correct! It was very tragic and sad. Out of respect for the dead, I refrained from elaborating further. RIP!

18. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well said. Lenny and the team signed a contract, both parties adhered to the contract. What obligation did he have to abandon his contract if he became injured? To make someone on the internet happy?:rolleyes:

doppelganger, markmcf8 and bsman repped this.
  19. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I find Lenny's conduct far less egregious than Innocent's. Lenny gave everything he had while he was here, whereas Innocent was simply cashing a (much larger) paycheck and giving nothing in return. If Doyle stupidly signed him to a contract extension, then that's on Doyle and the team. Blaming Lenny for that is unfathomable to me.

doppelganger and markmcf8 repped this.
  20. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He came back after his leave and had his 10-goal 2012 season, so it seems he was able to keep up with the game psychologically and physically after he got the help he needed. Mental health issues are health issues. If you tell players with mental health problems that they should just retire, the likelihood is that they will suppress their issues so they can keep playing, and thus never get the care they need.

SJTillIDie, SeaJayBee and don gagliardi repped this.
  21. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quakes offered him a contract and he signed it.....he's not a thief. If Lenny is a thief then the Quakes FO is as well for under paying Wondo during his peak seasons.....other DP's that were producing much less were getting paid more than double the amount Wondo was....

22. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If psychological problems were getting in the way of his work, he should have dealt with those. If the Quakes knew he needed help and wouldn't pay for it, that's on them. We don't know and at this point it's kind of irrelevant.

As for "suppressing their issues" -- that's what many of us have to do thanks to "pre-existing conditions." We have a terrible health care system, but that's for another day.

23. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did. He took a half-season of leave to deal with it and then came back and had his career-best season.

I wasn't talking anything about who paid for it. The Quakes knew he needed help and let him take his leave.

24. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Why do people always feel that Wondo has been "cheated" in his contracts with the Quakes? He acts as his own agent, signs a contract the he feels pays he what he feels he is "worth".

They renegotiated his contract after his "breakout" season and the following season. Does he make what quite a few of us feel he should be making? Apparently not, but Wondo does not feel the same it would appear.

25. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Lenny has a happy retirement and finds fulfillment in his post-soccer pursuits and gets to surf many radical swells in clean glassy conditions with no crowds (he'll probably have to stay out of socal to do that though!). He was a great striker for us who unfortunately had his career cut short by injuries. 4 years on since his last productive season and we still haven't found a proper replacement for him.