The Official Soccer Basher Thread, Part Deux.

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by geordienation, May 27, 2006.

1. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Most of these guys just make straw-man arguments -- I think most of us know soccer isn't going to overtake the NFL in our lifetimes, but we'd agree it has its place at the buffet table of U.S. sports.

But this one was staggering:

Just about spit my milk at the screen.

2. Anteaters FC

Anteaters FC New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Santa Monica
    The LA Times' moronic TJ Simers did an anti-World Cup article for the Times' Sunday Opinion section (with a World Cup theme this week). It's too lame to link to, but you can find it if you're a masochist.

3. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    TJ Simers rips someone/something in his column? Knock me over with a feather.

He'd lambaste his mother if he thought he could get a rise out of it.

5. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    He forgot to include his email so we can call him an idiot...that was the worst ever..

6. mesican

mesican New Member

Apr 26, 2006
    San Diego
    Typical ignorant that thinks because its not the most popular in the US it sux. Lets do some numbers if one in 5 people in the US watched it that would be 64 million, and it would be over 1b in the world. Damn I think that is pretty good dont u guys think ?

7. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's more like 1 in 1000 people in the world care about American Football. (Could be even less, could be more, I haven't bothered doing the exact math. The fact is, it is much smaller than 1 in 5.) His juvenile vitriol starts looking so putrid when you consider a fact like that. I wonder what his reaction would be when reminded of a factoid like this.

8. mesican

mesican New Member

Apr 26, 2006
    San Diego
    He forgets that futbol does make a differance around the world unlike American Sports.

9. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    t.j.simers@latimes.com

For the previous Bradenton article (letters to the editor):

dklement@heraldtoday.com

10. Anteaters FC

Anteaters FC New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Santa Monica
    DO NOT WRITE TO TJ!

He loves getting hate mail--he really does this all the time, though not with soccer. He does it with the local teams and players, and he loves getting people saying that he's a moron, etc. Don't give him the satisfaction...angry letters to the Times means that he's doing his job for the Sports section, so don't give them more reason to keep him around.

As I wrote on my blog, since he knows nothing about soccer, TJ has no idea that there already have been plenty of doping scandals...so even when he's right, he manages to show himself to be uninformed at the same time.

11. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does T.J. realize just how many people in the world (i.e. third world countries) have no access to television, yet these people are included in the 1-of-5 figure? I would be curious as to what the figure would be if only European countries were taken into account.

12. Anteaters FC

Anteaters FC New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Santa Monica
    If he did realize, he wouldn't care, because that would get in his way of trying to make a joke and put down soccer.

13. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Just to reiterate:

DON'T WRITE TO ANY OF THESE GUYS. It just generates hits to their articles, so they can say to their editor, "look how many hits I generated today." These guys don't care if most of their readers think they're provincial morons, just so they bring eyes to look at the ads.

I think soccer-bashing would've dropped even faster than it has in the past decade if not for Trevor T. Soccerfan writing enraged letters to every half-wit who thinks soccer is too low-scoring to ever be popular, etc.

14. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Write a letter to Jere Longman

Or Steve Goff

Or Tom Timmerman

Or Chris Cowles

Or Graehme Jones

Or Ron Blum

Or Joe Curley

15. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
  17. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    What an idiot that guy. I love it how the haters take the time to write about them hating....its called FEAR!

18. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bruce Arena should invite that guy and Oguchi Onyewu for a breakfast meeting, after they're back from Germany. Let them decide on the racism and illegal immigration issue in that setting.

Oh BTW, I'm eager to read the posts of the "soccer basher apologizers" (you know who you're) in response to this quality journalism.

19. houstondynamofan

houstondynamofan Red Card

May 7, 2006
    houston,tx
    That scumbag. I'd like him to say that garbage to a hispanic's face. The fact that an editor would even allow that filth to get published makes my blood boil. That newspaper should be ashamed of themselves.

20. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    I don't blame you. If I was hispanic I would be outraged by that. I wouldn't waste my time writing him an email though. I would send it to the CEO of that newspaper and ask him what the newspapers policy is regarding racism.

21. ross from st paul

ross from st paul New Member

Sep 13, 2001
    gold river, CA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The paper was, until recently, owned by Knight Ridder. It has no shame.

As for Powers, he gets off on writing columns like that. He likes baseball...yet all baseball fans I know hate his column.
    I'm not aware of anyone else who evens pays attention to him around here.

I did read it on the bus this morning, just because I saw "soccer" in the title. It was refreshing to see he hasn't changed; I've missed nothing since 1994! Thanks for your input, Tom.

22. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, let's for a second hypothesize that some sports writer wrote an "opinion" column like this:

"If the law enforcement authorities really are serious about identifying gang members, they soon will be provided a unique opportunity to record their whereabouts.

All the Minneapolis police force has to do is monitor the block-by-block television ratings of this week's NBA Finals. Police should be dispatched to any area in which the ratings reflect an unnaturally high level of interest. That likely signals a concentrated pocket of gang members."

You're catching my drift? Now, let's imagine the kind of nationwide coverage which would be generated, if such an inciting, hateful article was published by a "journalistic publication".

Now, I would like to hear how whatever has already been "published" is any less inciting and hateful than the hypothetical paragraph I wrote up.

Come on, "soccer basher apologizers", I want to hear from you.

23. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you want?

When a person has a differnt opinion on a sport, who gives a shit.

When a person is a bigot, he deserves every bad thing that can happen to him. Your belief that just because people don't get their panties in a wad when there is disagreement on a sport, that means they are bigots too is sad.

The guy's a dick. I think any rational person would think that, regardless of whether they like soccer.

24. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I think he has dug his grave writing an article like this. This is not even about soccer or baseball or basketball or any sport. He is using soccer as a vehicle to spread his gospel of ignorance and hatred. If Jimmy the Greek and Rush Limbaugh were fired from their jobs (and Steven A. Smith should be fired from his job) for such bigotry, this guy deserves to lose his job too.

25. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think people here disagree, but don't hint that people here do agree. That's just not right.