The Official Said Haji Thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by bsman, Jan 11, 2019.

1. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Us too! :thumbsup:

xbhaskarx and 2in10 repped this.
  2. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I grew up on Johnny Quest

Beerking and Earthshaker repped this.
  3. sj_vanbasten

sj_vanbasten Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Now that's a scoop right there

4. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS has articles on our top two picks...

[​IMG]
    Learn about Siad Haji's long journey to San Jose

[​IMG]
    Meet the Quakes' odds-defying Dreamer draft pick

And they gave an A+ grade:
    2019 MLS SuperDraft Grades

5. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  7. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

sacrxy and don gagliardi repped this.
  8. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    I liked how strong his shot was. We could use someone with a distance threat. Overall, I thought he looked great, though he was against tired legs, so I'll try not to get too carried away.

9. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    I liked how strong his shot was. We could use someone with a distance threat. Overall, I thought he looked great, though he was against tired legs, so I'll try not to get too carried away.

10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1137473889049677824 is not a valid tweet id

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Said Haji seems like an exciting player but he is still way too young and inexperienced. Unlike Doyle preferences, it is nice to see the Quakes signing and/or utilizing a smaller 5' 8 ft, 150 pound player.

12. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Why is it that this guy was the number 2 draft pick in 2019 and he only has 43 MLS minutes in two seasons? Why hasn’t he at least been given a 45 minute half to show his abilities?

Fierro has shown nothing to think he is better that Haji. Vako away on international duty, Magnus sent back to Europe and Almeyda can’t find minutes for Haji in a compressed schedule?

OWN(yewu)ED and bsman repped this.
  13. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like many young players in the world of soccer, and being no different in the MLS, many are over looked, often misused or misplaced within the team. Sometimes if they leave they find better pasture, but young players no matter the upside, skill, youth resume, or college playing resume often fall to the wayside. Herman Trophy Winners, Standout Youth Players, Top Prospects In The Draft are none to the exception. Just the way it is sometimes.

We've churned more young players then developed. I see nothing different with Haji. He will probably be out of the league if he doesn't stick with us, within 3 years plying his trade in the USL.

bsman repped this.
  14. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    With the announcement of a return of the MLS reserve league, Haji should get a few years to play in front of the coaches and prove his abilities. Call it the Wondo path.

15. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope it works out for him, but he's a dime in a dozen.

16. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I don’t know, he was the number 2 guy selected behind only Frankie Amaya, who has a ton of minutes. Jackson Yuiell was a number 6 pick. Tanner Beason was selected 12th this year and has played a lot of minutes. Even Paul Marie was picked at 12 and is getting game time.

17. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Hadji has shown more potential in a quakes uniform than fiero ever has in a quakes uniform.

MA it's definitely played a lot more youth than we're used to under Dom and Stahre but I still don't think it's enough for how cheap we are -- his loyalty to his Argentinian guys is wasted minutes

if we're going to be bad and cheap we may as well be young and exciting

bsman repped this.
  18. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    [QUOTE="RocktheCasbah4, post: 39025107, member: 234227"...his loyalty to his Argentinian guys is wasted minutes...[/QUOTE]

This drives me nuts. Fierro (OK - not Argentinian, but with Chivas MA history), Vega and Rios have gotten tons of minutes that would have been better used for other players who might still develop into something.

19. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many top draft guys never got a chance or amounted to anything?

Every coach and team in the world can be blamed for not playing someone, but we also don't see these guys everyday at practice. Sometimes they just aren't meant for the dance with the team there on.

20. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    It seems apparent that Haji is not impressing Matias in training. Otherwise I think we'd see more of him. Why are we seeing 16-year old Cade but not Haji? We've even seen more Jacob Akinririge than Haji this year. There's still time but so far doesn't seem like a great use of a #2 pick.

21. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    No doubt the most hopeful of our 'inexperienced' players is Cade.

Interesting fact is that Cade has played in more games this year than Fierro. I think Fierro was injured for some time though.

Haji had 41m last year and all of 2m this year. As a draft pick he's clearly not on the same trajectory that Yueill was on (Yueill has played more minutes this year than anyone on our team).

22. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    This is Yueill’s 4th year with the team already i think. If it wasn’t for Leitch he probably would have had very limited playing time his 1st year. Minutes kind of stagnated under Stahre, the personnel genius who seemed to favor Luis Felipe over him. And who often told TT not to bother dressing, ‘cause you know we were doing so well that year.

23. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I was basically saying, every coach has there ideology of players and what they like, and who impressed them... Starhe withstanding simply because she's a dumbass.

But we've had many many young players high to low draft picks never pan out. As I told @jeff_adams we've churned more young players to nothing then something. So has every other team in the world. Haji probably isn't all that good.

24. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Weren’t you saying the same kind of thing about Marchinski last month when he wasn’t playing? That he must be terrible if he was on the bench instead of in the game? Why should we assume that Haji sucks if we can’t see him for ourselves?

SalinasQuakesFan and SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  25. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    One thing I was reminded of last night - Haji is only 20. So he’s 3-4 years younger than your typical pick like Beason. So he may take a little more time. Last night was a mixed bag. Some cringe-inducing bad decisions / execution and some nice footwork. And it was at the end of the game against tired / give-upy legs. And it was a tiny sample. So I’m not gonna make much of it. Clearly he’s got talent - he showed it in college, so we’ll see.

If by end of next year he’s still an extreme rarity it might be cause for some concern.

Scott Rohde repped this.