The Official Nick Lima thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Dec 21, 2016.

1. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Here’s the crux of the situation, is Lima satisfied he’s “good enough” defensively or is he willing to put in the extra effort to improve? We’ve all witnessed Tommy Thompson improve defensively, can Lima?

2. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    I don't get the impression that Lima is ever satisfied. In college he was the one doing extra workouts and leading his teammates in the off season conditioning. So I am not worried at all about his desire. Desire to improve is a necessary condition, but there's much more to it.

hc897 repped this.
  3. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Thompson's "improvement" is not comparable to Lima's as a 1 to 1. Thompson was a midfielder converted to a defender as a professional. He's become pretty good in a short time, but he hasn't even played half a season in that position. Lima entered MLS as a defender and is roughly the same today as he was when he entered the league.

The expectations are also not really the same. Maybe next year we can compare them in the exact same way, but there's a definite grading curve being applied right now.

4. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    upload_2019-5-22_21-59-56.jpeg

SoccerMan94043, hc897 and NedZ repped this.
  5. mthead14

mthead14 Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Lima is a guy who should leave San Jose soon. he has upside. I'm glad he found a spot under Almeyda, but this isn't an ideal fit for his talents, which include bombing up the right side and sending in crosses. Reminds me of Yedlin with similar weaknesses that will improve if he can get to Europe.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  6. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #356 chris thebassplayer, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Lima is fine. He is one of our best players. He's being held accountable for a number of systematic communication breakdowns between 2 or more players...there is a lot more going on than just blowing a mark...most of these "Lima has lost it" moments are due to miscommunications. I honestly think Almeyda is holding Lima responsible when two players are involved...holding him to a higher standard...tough love...he knows he has a very high ceiling.

He hasn't regressed or lost motivation...pure BS.

How he plays with the nats in Berhalter's system has no bearing on how he plays in Almeyda's system...the approaches are miles apart.

I think he makes the final 23 for the GC and possibly gets a spot start in group play ...assuming Adams will be the starter at hybrid/RB with Lima as back up. My gut feeling is Adams will be needed in the middle to cover the hard defensive work for MB or Trapp against higher level comp (Mexico)...might enable another starting opportunity.

7. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well no Garza and no Yedlin certainly bumps his chances up.

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I agree with your points but I still say so far or since March, if Lima can be picked, so can Tommy.

As far as performances are concerned, Tommy has played just as well. Both players have loads of potential and they deserve credit when it’s due.

If the criteria to be picked for a national team is based on merit, I don’t see how Tommy doesn’t at least deserve a look.

markmcf8 and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  9. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It really depends how how the National Team wants to play and whether or not they think certain players fit into that. It seems to be that Lima's offensive capabilities are the primary focus when it comes to his time with the National Team. And he has abilities that Thompson has not demonstrated. Though it was called back, the rocket of a shot that went into the net against Kansas City (I think?) is just something Lima can do that potentially adds a lot of value.

That isn't to say Thompson doesn't have value in other areas that Lima doesn't have. Thompson is much more composed on the ball, can bring down passes unlike anyone else on the team, and seems generally more aware of what's happening around him. Those are excellent qualities, but they may not benefit the National Team as much as Lima's abilities.

Frankly, I don't care if any Quakes players make their respective national teams. The recognition of their talents is nice and it reinforces that you are on the right track in player acquisition/development, but you are forfeiting time they could be playing for and helping your team.

I've also just about had enough of international soccer as a thing due to its inherent corruption. It's hard to take anything that happens seriously when so much of it is a farce. MLS has its own problem, of course, and there will likely come a time when I give up on it as well, but at least I get to watch a team that resides in the same city that I do and have some fun while doing it.

What incentive is there for me to watch international games? As such, why would I want a player from the Earthquakes to miss time playing for them? I'm not going to watch Panama play. I'm not likely to watch the US play, at this point.

MtnGardener repped this.
  10. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    sopranos.jpg

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I’m betting Nick Lima will perform better for the National Team as opposed to his form with the Quakes.

12. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    How much? and what is the criteria for "better"?

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not sure really but maybe he will play with more tenacity and helping out more on defense and offense..

14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  15. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
  16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Hard to say. Nick was one of five players with a baseline score of 6 (a C grade according to the commentator's scoring system). A couple players had only a 7 score, and this commentator gave Boyd a full point lower than the MLS website commentator (same drop for Nick), so perhaps part of it is he is just a tougher grader. There were no derogatory comments about Nick's performance accompanying the score.

One commentator's subjective opinion is as good as another (everyone's got one, so the saying goes), so there is no point in debating. I think the upshot is that Lima has shown that he is capable of starting for the Nats.

17. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    ... versus Guyana. I think no one doubts his offensive ability. But Guyana isn't the team to gauge your defensive ability.

18. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I drank the Kool-Aid. :)

bigdumbgod, chris thebassplayer and NedZ repped this.
  19. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the game and he was one of the best players on the field. He should have had at least two assists.

20. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Not to mention a goal.

But per the comment above, yeah, it's his defensive skill set that will determine whether he is international level right back.

21. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I thought he was solid overall.

There were a couple nervvy moments. He was side on defending by himself at the top of the box late in the game...overplaying the attacker to force him to his left side...our back line D was a little caught out in transition. Ideally he would have someone helping him on the inside cut to his backside, but, I believe Zimmerman arrived late and couldn't cover the inside cut. the guy got his shot off, which wasn't good for our D.

Berhalter played RB pretty straight, not the tucked in hybrid RB roll.

I was actually a little miffed Lima didn't get the ball more on the right flank in the second half. He was wide open all the time...we were a little stuck trying to play up the middle...it would close out in the middle and we still wouldn't play it outside to Nick...frustrating.

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #373 falvo, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    Lima was also an attacking player when he entered Cal Berkeley. Kevin Grimes converted him to a defender. If you watched his college games, he kept going forward. Granted he is older and his time to shine is now and should already know his position.

Still he really isn’t really natural defender. I don’t know if you are born with it or not but in Lima’s case, I think he has to be. I like Nick but so far on the Quakes this year, he has shown better playing offensively as opposed to a defensively.

Tommy on the other hand, has improved immensely! I didn’t think he would ever develop but Almeyda has him playing his heart out. Go TT!

MtnGardener repped this.
  23. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Another overall solid game. Great awareness and run...what a beautiful assist on Zardes' goal. A couple tough plays...over rotated past the mid box on the counter play to the backside, but he has to cover the middle in that situation not stay out on the flank. He's doing very well and gaining valuable experience... he can hang at the nats level...he just needs more game experience. I'd take him over Yedlin any day of the week...much better option on both sides of the ball. I also like him over Adams in the hybrid RB role. It's only a matter of time post GC until Adams or McKennie play the 6 or at least help MB deep centrally.

Hopefully Nick continues to do well and stakes his claim at RB for the nats.

24. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair assessment. I would add that he seemed more comfortable this game. Not locking him into the position, but he is getting good experience and I expect for him to continue to compete.