The Official Nick Lima thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Dec 21, 2016.

1. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yes, and I'm glad you understand where I'm coming from.

2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The City of San Jose appears willing to amend the conditions for operating the stadium to remove this requirement. My understanding is that there will be a Planning Department director's hearing scheduled soon to accomplish this.

3. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    No disagreement here. But I can think of better things on which to spend several million dollars than exterior cladding for the stadium that diminishes its overall appearance. Talk about a waste of money.

4. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When they say improvement, aren't they probably using it in the same sense as for IRS real estate treatment? So replacing the turf would be maintenance. Adding an exterior skin would be an improvement if it increased the value of the property, but if it only made it look different or better, it would probably be considered maintenance, like painting your house. Or like, if you enclosed the patio of your house, would that be a substantial improvement?

5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    When I say a stadium "skin" is not an "improvement," I am using the latter term in the purely aesthetic sense. :)

DotMPP repped this.
  6. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    The reality for almost every team in the world is that "you can't have _too_ nice things". There are short windows in a player's development where you can have a player better than your team, but the real trick in managing teams is in improving your team's overall goodness so that you can have nicer things while managing the day-to-day needs of acquiring players that are "in your league" and selling the players that are "out of your league" before you lose them for free. Just ask Ajax this season about trying to have nice things: https://www.goal.com/en-us/lists/th...e-a-fortune-on-de-/1wvyargvegmpt1upv43qcjqenr

They'll make a ton of money. But if instead they tried to improve their performance in Champions League (they just made it out of their pool by drawing Bayern and beating Benfica) by holding onto their players, they'd instead end up with nothing, the players will leave for free when their contracts are up. So they are forced to sell their best players and make their team worse even though they are making it out of groups in the Champions League! That is just how it is. There is a pecking order of leagues and of teams and it take a long time to change your place and there is an upward limit on your place that is set by the overall place of your league, maybe with a temporary modifier based on top-4 in Champion's League. You can sometimes hold on to players that are "out of your league" by overpaying drastically in wages.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  7. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, that's your opinion. Except for those few "tiles" they had slapped on the side next to the front door of the FO we really never got to see what could be done with it.
    To re-quote a post from the previous page:
    "So, the upshot is we can't have nice things?":)

8. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Why is Nick Lima out of the Quakes' league while Zlatan is within the Galaxy's league?

Why do we assume that money is the sole object in life?

9. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If you design public art by committee, you most certainly won't.

parade of floats san jose city hall.jpg

Parade of Floats, San Jose City Hall.

10. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Not a good comparison. Zlatan already has tons of money, so signing the biggest contract possible isn't his most important factor. Nick, on the other hand, has a long way to go before he's financial well off enough for the paycheck to be of secondary importance. Every player has a small window of a few years to maximize their career earnings and they have to manage that carefully. Maybe one or two peak contracts will be offered to them, and they have to grab the opportunities when they can. No one can blame them for making the most of their financial interests while they can.

Maybe Nick *really* wants to be a fire-fighter. So after signing that big Euro contract he can come back and afford a house in the same city that employs him! If so, money isn't his sole object, it just enables him to fulfill his sole object :).

11. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    Picking teams for reasons other than money or challenge is a luxury for those at the ends of their long, successful careers. Of course the occasional exception happens. But I, for one, would love to see Lima carry the Quakes name abroad. I honestly think he'd do more good for the team as a source of money and prestige, getting some name recognition and proving you can come to the Quakes and go higher, than he can do for the team on the field in their current state. Maybe Almeyda is a miracle worker and all the seeds bloom together this spring. It could happen. But more likely, I think, is that middle of the pack is reasonably optimistic. I'd have to, you know, actually see the team play a game to work up any more enthusiasm than that =)

As someone who follows Bundesliga and Champions League very closely, and EPL some, I just think that once you reach the level of "capable of helping a 1st tier Euro side", the path is clear.

The only contrary thing I will say is that some early interviews with Lima showed he wasn't particularly a fan of watching soccer, so maybe the draw of "playing for the teams he watched growing up" isn't there. But the money still is, and the challenge still is.

12. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A bit (ok way) off the subject and I read way too much into this....but back when the Quakes played Man Utd last summer....Man Utd TV interviewed two Quake players. First was Lima at half time, then post game with Fuentes. Did they interview them because they saw potential/were impressed by those two or were the randomly picked....

don't know why those interviews stuck out to me.....

13. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fuentes was 16 years old at the time, so there was that novelty, and Lima played well that game, especially against United's left back, Luke Shaw..

14. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it had a function, such as reducing or eliminating the substantial wind presence in the concourse, then it is possible that it is an improvement, even if the form of the stadium was not enhanced, however, If it did nothing about the windy concourse, I agree that no matter how much better people may think it'll look, it wouldn't be an improvement worth the cost.

15. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. We have been sitting in the VIP seats and will be moving "upstairs" this year. For the US vs Costa Rica game, we ate in the VIP section before going up to our seats for the game. Noticeable difference from a windchill perspective.

16. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kaval assured me that when the office building was built next door, the wind tunnel effect would disappear. Obviously, it didn’t help, and the Avaya architects are very very bad at modeling. So if they calculsted that the skin would help mitigate the wind tunnel, I would have trouble believing them.

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  17. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best seats in the house are those in the sections below the pressbox. :thumbsup:

tenfourteen and NedZ repped this.
  18. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :thumbsup: when I was a STH ours were in 106 row 17....if I were to be a STH again I would try to get the same seats....

great seats to watch Lima play (felt I needed to mention him since this is his thread....thought I was in the Avaya Stadium thread)

TyffaneeSue and SoccerIsOurLife repped this.
  19. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lima plays right in front on me in BC3 for 50% of the time. I get to have lots of conversations with him... much like @TyffaneeSue with Salinas. I guess I'm better at it than she is ;)

mjlee22 and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  20. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Shea would listen to her better if she sounded more like the voice of God..

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  21. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Shea actually does listen to me. But he's still Shea.

SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  22. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  23. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tyf, someone recorded you cheering on Shea in NYC

DotMPP repped this.
  24. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018

25. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you see Lima’s face after getting subbed in NYRB?
    IMO very good coaching is happening; where there is ample competition at RFB & LFB with our younger players.