The Official Mikael Stahre thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by gevalia90, Nov 23, 2017.

1. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's interesting. Kreis gets fired when he currently has six wins and has the team in a position to potentially make the playoffs. Not defending him, just saying that I'm surprised they pulled the trigger on firing him with so much left of the season to go. Granted, he hasn't demonstrated he can coach outside of the situation he was in back in Salt Lake, so I can see why they didn't really think he was going to get the job done. Still, they must have really been unhappy with him not to give him until the end of the year.

Stahre has coached for a lot less time in MLS than Kreis coached Orlando, so there's a lot less information to work with. The team has played like hot garbage since he took over and hasn't really improved in correcting even simple things that should be obvious to anyone, so I wouldn't be opposed to firing him now, rather than waiting to confirm he can't coach.

I can't help but think back to the Astros when they were in the midst of intentional multiple 90+ game losing seasons, and they still went ahead and fired Bo Porter because they didn't like his coaching. I don't know if Fioranelli will do that (I doubt he will), however, they did fire Kinnear under similar circumstances under which Kreis was fired, so just maybe Fioranelli will realize he made a terrible mistake.

3. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, i’ve been wondering the same thing. Watching the film Win! and also from an article I read once, Kreis seemed like a bit of a control freak who trained himself as a player via endless repetition. I.e., he is an extremely hard worker, and I imagine he probably gets on the nerves of players who are talented and need less practice (e.g. David Villa). I think he also was very unlucky or didn’t have the right trainers, because ORL seems to have had an incredibly bad record with injuries during his tenure.

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Both NYCFC & Orlando have a lot more ambition than the Quakes. They have the fans , attendance and an ownership who have aspirations to be on top in comparison to San Jose who seems to be complacent as a loser and that’s why they didn’t waste time in firing Kreis. I feel bad for him but I think he should find a smaller club like he had at RSL as he probably will have less pressure to perform. I see him in the USL next season.

5. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, or he should come here after Stahre leaves.
    uh, i don't really think that. that's a joke.

markmcf8 repped this.
  6. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've seen clubs fire coaches who have their teams in much better shape than ours. So what is the problem here? Clearly, we have a much higher tolerance for losing than other teams. I really think that Fisher and Wolff bought our club as part of a gambit to move the A's to San José, when that didn't pan out, they lost interest in our team.

Really, it's as though they own us, but aren't sure what to do with us, and want to put as little effort into our club as possible. So they let losers run the team and there's no pressure to succeed from on high. Fisher wants to buy an Italian club? Hey wanker! You have a club in your own backyard. How about you pay attention to US?!

Getting really dismayed.

Go Quakes!!
    Fire Stahre!!

- Mark

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If Fisher thinks he has it tough in San Jose by only a few of us in the boards criticizing him, he will be crucified in Milan if he buys them and runs them the same way he runs the Quakes. I for one would be afraid to walk the streets in Milan if AC has San Jose’s record.

Most clubs get more sponsorships , TV revenue and CL/Uefa money but the competition is fierce.

Beerking and bsman repped this.
  8. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Or if Inter fans find out that Fisher is cuckolding them in a nominal "partnership" while engaging in a dalliance with their cross-town rivals.

Beerking and markmcf8 repped this.
  9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah the Inter -Milan rivalry is not as bad as the Roma -Lazio one or even the Juventus vs. everyone else .....

At least the Interisti and Milanisti are civil and the two clubs still sell players to one another...

10. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Firstly, I highly doubt most Milan fans know what John Fisher looks like or would recognize him on the street. I have seen his face in print numerous times, and I am confident I would not recognize him.

Second, what on earth would give you the impression that Fisher has ever cared for one moment what fans or press said or thought about how he runs his professional teams? He doesn't.

bobby_guzman repped this.
  11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #662 falvo, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    Maybe you are right that he may not care all that much but that will not stop fans and the media’s hatred on a daily basis if he doesn’t produce a winner. Especially with AC Milan and their history, I doubt they would let him off the hook like we all do in San Jose. Vittorio Cecchi Gori could not walk the streets of Florence for what he did to Fiorentina. Calisto Tanzi is in jail for what he did to Parma and his company Parmalat. Rosella Sensi was forced to sell Roma and run out of town by the hometown fans and her life was at risk. The same thing will soon be happening to Bostonian James Pallotta if he reneges on his plans for the giallorossi. As a matter of fact , many Serie A owners are scrutinized constantly. Bottom line is, if he buys the club, he can’t run Milan in the same way he runs the Quakes because he will not be allowed to. Bringing it back to the thread , Fisher will have been forced to fire Stahre long ago if we were AC Milan.

12. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard to run Fisher out of Italy if he is living in the bay area.;)

13. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think the A's move to San Jose was already off the table by the time the awarding of the Quakes to Fisher and Wolff was completed, but could be wrong. MLB's monopolistic practices made sure of that, though I'm glad they didn't move down here as the team can succees in Oakland and I would prefer them to stay there. San Jose traffic is already bad enough after the 49ers invaded. The last thing the city needs is more pro sports.

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They are running Pallotta out of Rome and he lives in Boston! ;)

On another note, I think Sweden should hire Stahre! Thats a good spot for him!

15. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Wolff and Fischer exercised their option to purchase the Quakes in 2007. The City of San Jose culminated its quixotic effort to entice the A's by suing Major League Baseball fully six years later, in 2013.

markmcf8 repped this.
  16. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And who knows, if the A's were not pursuing a downtown San Jose site perhaps Wolff and Fisher would have built the Quakes stadium there. I know at one time there was talk of the fire fighter training site between W. San Carlos and Park ave as a potential Quakes stadium location.

17. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The potential move to San Jose was in the works well before 2013. The original plan for a move to Fremont fell apart in 2006/2007. MLB simply didn't get involved in the issue until 2013, because Bud Selig postponed it as long as he possibly could prior to having to give up the reigns as commissioner.

Officially, yes, 2013 was the date where a move to San Jose was made actually impossible. However, I still contend that it was realistically off the table before then, essentially as far back as when the Giants were gifted the territorial rights to San Jose in an effort to help prevent them from moving out of state.

We're all worse off that history didn't play out differently in that situation.

18. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Hard to say. Granted, Avaya is not exactly far away from downtown in its current location, though not quite as accessible. Actually being located in downtown probably wouldn't have had much, if any, impact on attendance, though. The team is too awful to sustain a fanbase for long as it stands.

19. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Quakes already have plenty of analysts in the stands giving Stahre feedback.

mjlee22 repped this.
  21. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are they the ones telling him not to make substitutions?

22. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Maybe Jesse can call him around 60-70 minutes in and say “it’s time to sub”.

SoccerIsOurLife and davez repped this.
  23. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think so. I have a couple "analysts" who sit near me who often yell at Stahre that he needs to sub.:p

TyffaneeSue and xbhaskarx repped this.
  24. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My real point was that, maybe the Quakes are the only team in MLS that doesn’t communicate with its own analyst(s) in the stands.

markmcf8 repped this.