The Official Matías Almeyda thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Sarkar

Sarkar Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Man, it is depressing, just depressing. On a happy day like this, Vako haters are out with their biased and uninformed opinion. If Vako does not pass to a teammate in a better position, how they hell he did 28 key passes from open play ? Key passes means passes that lead to a shot at goal. This is till Vancouver home loss. Players who have played roughly same number of minutes - Godoy 11, Hoesen 26, Eriksson 38. This disproves the myth that Vako does not pass. Interestingly, Eriksson's 38 key passes were converted to goal 3 times but Vako's 28 key passes lead to 5 goals, which implies that he passes when the receiving player is in a better position to score.

I have nothing against these young mids except that Yueill is over hyped. Since this was mentioned in a Vako bashing conversation, thought would supply the fact that Yueill has won 8 tackles and Godoy (who played roughly twice minutes as Yueill) has won 41 tackles. What about Vako? 25 tackles won, not too bad for one who is primarily an attacker.

I do not visit this board frequently (though I watch every home match) - come here only I feel very frustrated or feel very happy. Today I came very happy and going back very frustrated. Will post a more detailed analysis about Vako later on Vako thread.

3. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Based on the comments below, Stahre may not have been Fioranelli's first-choice coach, but was instead the first-choice coach who fit the required parameters within the financial constraints ownership had in place.

https://quakesepicenter.com/2018/10/08/a-statement-of-intent/

"The ownership group decided that they were willing to more than double that salary structure in order to get a serious, talented coach. I’ve heard that Fioranelli had exactly such a higher-priced option lined up in summer 2017, but that it was overruled by ownership. They will not be repeating that mistake this time, and it may indicate that higher-paid, more-pedigreed coaches are to follow from here on out.
    The third important thing this hire says is that the front office and ownership recognized that the coaching deficit was a catastrophic problem."

5. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Here's an article quoting Jesse:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/10/08/fioranelli-almeyda-he-fighter-and-now-he-will-fight-us

Almeyda’s signing surprise some, but for Fioranelli, it felt like a natural fit to turn to the defending Concacaf Champions League winner.

“I had met [Almeyda] a year ago, just out of coincidence. We got back into contact and I knew how much he liked MLS and how much he liked San Jose,” Fioranelli said. “I found something special from the very beginning, there was a trust between us.”

don gagliardi repped this.
  6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

He didn't score many but they were all spectacular.

7. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This is consistent with the notion that Fisher belatedly gives a sh*t but inconsistent with the idea that Fisher did not previously deny anything that was requested of him for this past season. Perhaps the operative words are "summer 2017" instead of winter 2018.

Quakes05 and xbhaskarx repped this.
  8. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Sorry dude, with all due respect, he's a technically gifted bad soccer player. Maybe if team chemistry in the attack wasn't absolute crap...comparing his stats to other very poor performers on a woefully broken team doesn't resonate with me. It's all or none with him. He'll score on an outstanding individual effort, but the other 30 times he tries to dribble 3-4 guys with wide open guys closer to goal he kills the whole attack...which is infuriating to teammates. He makes boneheaded decisions at critical times...that will never show up in stats...how many opportunities were lost in the attack....just count the death stares from Wondo and Hoesens....the body language on the field is telling.

The other guy from Georgia who posts said Vako has the same tunnel vision thing for the Georgian Nats...coaching staff is perplexed and working on it...

I guess each new team he goes to feels they can unlock the mystery. On raw technical talent alone he could be EPL or Serie A level, but his decision making is dreadful....that's why he's playing in MLS with the freaking Quakes.

DotMPP repped this.
  9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm wondering who that higher priced coaching option was... in the summer of 2017 I doubt it was Almeyda.

markmcf8 repped this.
  10. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

DotMPP repped this.
  11. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Damn Don he has a familia member who could be a dead ringer for you!

DotMPP and don gagliardi repped this.
  12. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's been working with the players since at least April. Not sure if he was working as an assistant coach or not, but it sort of looked like it.

Whatever, I at least half expect Ralston to stay on. The new regime will need a guy who knows the MLS players and teams. Heck, maybe they try to get Ramiro to come back as an assistant, he speaks Spanish and Portuguese. Could be useful as a translator.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

13. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    if this turns out to be true (and I consider you & Colin to be among the most credible people in here), it really just underscores what I've been saying in here for years, the main thing holding us back has been Fisher and his small team financial constraints. Fioranelli wasn't able to bring in the coach he wanted and had to settle for Stahre, kind of blows the lid off the idea that he had the green light to use his best judgement and bring in whoever he wanted.

Beckham7 repped this.
  14. Sactown Soccer

Jul 29, 2007
    Redding
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be ok with either of both of those guys as the assistants. But I'd really want Hugo Perez to be an assistant, he doesn't have MLS experience, but he has experience coaching young American players. I think he'd be the perfect understudy to Almeyda, and when Almeyda eventually leaves to coach Argentina or Mexico, then he can take over. He also could translate.
    What experience does Ramiro have coachng?

xbhaskarx, markmcf8 and jeff_adams repped this.
  15. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn’t Ramiro a player/coach in his last year with the Quakes?

alexiskool1991 repped this.
  16. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I heard Ramiro is coaching a team for the Santa Cruz Breakers Academy.

I’m with you on hiring Hugo Perez. He has a chip on his shoulder about how he was treated by the old boy’s network at Soccer House. He’ll have something to prove and his soccer philosophy dovetails PERFECTLY with Almeyda.

I’d advocate hiring him to run the Youth Academy as well. He brought Jonathan Gonzalez to the nation team pool and I have a feeling that his hire could convince the Gonzalez family to have younger brother Adrian play for San Jose. Hugo has deep ties to Nor Cal Soccer and he could easily recruit the type of players that Almeyda needs to play his preferred style. Plus, when Almeyda moves on to a national team gig, Hugo would be ready to take over and have his guys in place. This could ensure another run like the club had between the Spartan Stadium team of 2001 and early Houston Dynamo.

17. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vako's Great! Vako Sucks!!

No dudes, it's somewhere inbetween.

Vako has been looking to combine with his teammates more the last six to eight weeks. I've noticed it, and I used to be more critical of him. He does drop back and play defense too, but he's supposed to be an attacker. And clearly, there are times when you're up front to engage in attack, as you should be, and you just have to count on your teammates to do their part and get the ball back. If our attackers dropped back all the time, we'd have no offense. Eriksson has done that in some games, where he practically plays like a d-mid just to get some control of the match and improve our shape.

Part of the problem is that too many of our guys are too static. Too many of our guys don't make the run to open space, they don't anticipate getting the ball (looks like some of them don't want it). So often time, Vako doesn't have passing options, same for Eriksson. We can see them look for a teammates, only to find enemy jerseys, and our guys way out of position.

Now I do think that Eriksson sucks, no matter what his stats say. He loses the ball too often. He is easily closed down by opposing players. He dives. Yes, from time to time he makes a killer play, but think about good players in his position. Think about Brian Mullan. Think about his work rate, his effort, his consistency. That is the sort of player we want, not slow as a slug Eriksson.

That said, I almost want a clean sheet to start next season. Eriksson, Qwiberg, Affolter, Godoy, Kashia, Oduro, and Tarbell all out, for certain. Vako probably out too.

Our new coach is going to need lots of open roster spots, and lots of salary cap to play with, otherwise we cannot expect a significant improvement.

I think that Hoesen, Hyka, Flo, and Cummings are good enough to keep. I think that Wondo and Shea become subs, but we should keep them for their locker room leadership, their quality in practice, and they can still bring some fire power to the table when used as subs.

We need a lot of help. That has to start with clearing the decks.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

bigdumbgod, bobby_guzman, nivla and 5 others repped this.
  18. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sactown Soccer and xbhaskarx repped this.
  19. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    And another who looks just like Brian Holmes! :)

SeaJayBee and don gagliardi repped this.
  20. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  21. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This is true, but IMO it will take more than one off-season to change over the roster. Besides contract considerations there is a tipping point where if everyone is new it could take a year just to get chemistry and familiar with each other. And, as in 2018, other teams may continue to improve as well. If this turns out to be our Arthur Blank moment, as some analysts seem to think, then other teams may reevaluate as well.

markmcf8 repped this.
  22. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yes, and if we add to the defensive side the man-marking system the new coach has used in the past, we are going to need a lot of players who can run 90+ minutes and still retain their skill.

markmcf8 repped this.
  23. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    Roy Keane.

alexiskool1991, Quakes05 and Ultan repped this.
  25. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, they are too static, they aren't willing to work for each other, whether it is making runs, showing for the ball, or marking defensively. A bunch of individual pieces, and lacking any chemistry as a team on the field.

markmcf8 and don gagliardi repped this.