The Official Matías Almeyda thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Oct 7, 2018.

1. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Godoy is exactly the kind of player Almeyda will like.

2. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #277 markmcf8, Oct 26, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    Our views of Godoy are no doubt different. I think, and you probably disagree, that Godoy:
    • Is a hot head who loses his temper and commits needless and nasty fouls.
    • That his performances are inconsist to a high degree, which means that sometimes he lacks hustle and motivation.
    I don't see Godoy as the hardworking, team player, always in control of his temper sort of guy that the "code" allegedly calls for. Of course, Almeyda might both like him, and get much better production out of him. Godoy was really solid the first year he joined us.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

DotMPP repped this.
  3. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has had three red cards while playing for the Quakes, and only one was a straight red, (in the 2-1 win over Toronto a couple of years ago when were down to 9 men.)
    Here is one posters comments on that red.;)
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/sa...ostgame-thread-r.2033685/page-2#post-34335781
    One of the other reds he earned was a second yellow where he brushed an opponent's face with his hand while shielding the ball, and in the other game he got a second yellow Dangerfield commented that the Disco should overturn it.

Yes, he can appear to "lose his temper" on occasion, but, it has rarely been that punitive as far as game outcome went.

I have mixed feelings about Godoy, he does frustrate the hell out of me with his play at times, but, I feel he has been one of the few players to up his game this last part of the season. Imo he understands that he is playing for a job next season, where some players don't appear to be.

4. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The fact that Godoy upped your game lately only adds to my frustration. Godoy is a good player -- when he wants to be. That's why we can have two widely divergent takes on him. He's worth keeping because he's a good player but he's not worth keeping because he's not willing to play hard every game. He's a low-rent Landon Donovan.

5. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. As a team the Quakes can't aspire to a higher level when every player isn't playing consistently at the level they are capable of, but, perhaps the new coach can change that in Godoy. Fingers crossed.

6. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I fear you're right. I wonder how deliberate our build up will be transitioning to attack. If it's a slower possession build up, I doubt Godoy is going anywhere. It will depend on how much Almeyda can stomach Godoy's lack of awareness and energy transitioning back into defense when the ball is turned over. If he shows a lack of commitment to properly field his 6 role then Almeyda won't have any part of him.

7. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Well, the good news is that Stahre is possibly the least motivational coach in the sport's history, so Godoy's perceived issues with motivation can only improve under Almeyda.
    Under Ralston, Godoy's play did seem to improve in some key ways. Part of that was pushing Godoy back a bit so that he didn't get caught forward as much. In teh game against Colorado, especially, Godoy was a true defensive midfielder, which appears to be his best role.

If used correctly, in a formation that doesn't create an ocean of space between the offensive players and the defensive ones (which has basically been the style of every Quakes coach in the team's history), then Godoy could make positive contributions. He'll be 29 next year, so still pretty firmly within his physical prime.

I've complained many, many times about Godoy and I don't think he's a player you sacrifice bringing on other talent for, but if Almeyda determines he's worth giving a shot to, I'll play along. The good news is that the team has plenty of other options now, so if Godoy does not improve, things can be reworked so the team doesn't have to rely on him.

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #283 falvo, Nov 9, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    Figured this post belonged here...

Considering the way Don Garber and the league pretty much got rid of his team, I doubt Jorge Vergara likes or appreciates the fact that Almeyda took a job with an MLS club.

What exactly happened between the two to have such animosity? I mean Almeyda in only 3 years time won them their first titles in over a decade and their first Concacaf win in 56 years. I'd say that's a pretty good record! He should be grateful.

Guadalajara
    Liga MX: Clausura 2017
    Copa MX: Apertura 2015,
    Clausura 2017
    Supercopa MX: 2016
    CONCACAF Champions League: 2018
    Individual Clausura 2017 Best Coach

9. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mjlee22, davez, xbhaskarx and 4 others repped this.
  10. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the article.

San Jose is dreaming of a similar end result, and Almeyda is already working on what to offer this team, having already spent months analyzing the club’s infrastructure, squad and meeting with everybody from academy coaches to first-team personnel.

“I know everything about this team. Everything," Almeyda said. "Ever since they first approached me I’ve been studying and formalizing the style, philosophy that will be implemented. We have to strengthen the team with three or four players, but first it’s about evaluating the squad right now and taking it from there.”

"I want San Jose fans to know that this will be a team where all will run and all will compete,” he said. “Every single player will be aware of the tremendous responsibility of wearing the San Jose shirt. So they’ll leave everything on the pitch.”

Tactically, expect a complete transformation from San Jose’s vulnerable 4-4-2 system as Almeyda’s priorities are in the midfield. His 4-2-3-1 formation aims to always take control of the game, with or without possession. The message, therefore, is about control and making his team the protagonist, no matter the situation.

“Home or away, this team will play the same way.”

When it comes to the club’s supporters, Almeyda is aware of San Jose’s Hispanic population and its Mexican community, and he knows how important it is to create a stronger bridge between the club and its diverse fan base.

“Already, I have seen the warmth from Latinos and the Mexican community here in San Jose and to me, this community is essential for the development of this club,” Almeyda said.

QuakeAttack, Antonio2020, falvo and 3 others repped this.
  11. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I have to say, I'm definitely in love with the things Almeyda's saying so far. This part of the article really stood out to me, though "When he entered Chivas training grounds for the first time, Almeyda modified almost everything, making sure no player or staff member felt ignored."

I think this has been a major problem for the Quakes, as players would never get playing time despite people playing in front of them who struggled to produce results. Obviously not every player can get starting minutes all the time, but there seemed to be a distinct difference in how players were handled under Kinnear and Stahre. It would be nice to see that change.

12. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "where all will run and all will compete"

good luck getting godoy and vako to do that!

13. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Almeyda's was a defensive midfielder when he played, so he is probably coming in with some high expectations for any Quake in that position...

14. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    godoy is 28 years old and has an ego. I don't think he will be open to almeyda's requirements. I foresee him being traded midseason to orlando and he will be out of MLS in 2020 and playing in panama or china.

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #290 falvo, Nov 10, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    When I followed Almeyda with Lazio , Parma and Inter, he absolutely was one of the best holding mids I ever saw. He had strength , stamina, tenacity and was very aware of his tactical defensive position. His work rate was always tops and he would disrupt the forwards movements and was stellar helping out the back-line. The Quakes don’t currently have any players who played like him. I don’t think MLS as a league had or has any current players who played like him either. Especially not a player who is playing at ages 23-30 or 31.

mjlee22 repped this.
  16. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What were Dom Kinnear and Frank Yallop like as players? What about Gio Savarese?

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Can't recall Yallop as he was a little older when he went to DCU after playing for Ipswich. Supposedly he was a good defender but nothing spectacular.

I remember Kinnear mostly with the SF Bay Blackhawks in his prime. He was a constant runner in the midfield and was a good American player and held his own. He wasn't good enough to play on the 1994 WC team. Bora cut him before the finals as he had to have an emergency appendectomy in early winter/spring 1994 and then took a little while to recover.

Looking back with only a squad of 22 players including 3 GK's, I don't think Dom was better than John Harkes, Marcelo Balboa, Mike Sorber, Claudio Reyna, Cobi Jones, Earnie Stewart, Hugo Pérez, Tab Ramos or Tom Dooley. He will have never been able to beat out any of them. Sorber was a virtual unknown before he was picked but he ended up having a great tournament. Remembering how Dom played, he will not have been able to outperform any of them.

DotMPP and mjlee22 repped this.
  18. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    xbhaskarx, TyffaneeSue and Goodsport repped this.
  19. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goodsport repped this.
  20. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any word on whether the Quakes will part ways with Ralston or offer him some other role in the organization?

21. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeff Carlisle says he is not staying.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  22. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the press release, they did thank Ralston for his service to the team, so he’s not staying. Also Jeff Carlisle tweeted this earlier

SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  24. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Well, with Ralston leaving, the last ties to the old guard have been cut, at least as far as coaching staff goes. I'm really curious to know what getting another goalkeeper coach will mean for the guys. I'm almost as curious about that as I am with Almeyda's performances.

markmcf8 repped this.