The Official Marvell Wynne thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jan 24, 2015.

1. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm I did not see that in the article...

2. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What if u came down with a strange infliction and couldn't spell the word u?

DotMPP and mjlee22 repped this.
  3. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's in there:

"As a consequence, Wynne was informed that starting on July 1, he would no longer receive his salary. Since all MLS player contracts are held by the league, as opposed to the individual teams, it was MLS's decision -- and not the Earthquakes -- to decide whether to keep paying Wynne.

An MLS spokesperson declined to make a public statement when contacted by ESPN FC.

At this stage, Wynne is still attempting to gain medical clearance to resume playing, and there is no guarantee that he will receive it. Sources stressed that the club is trying to find a position within the organization, for Wynne -- who still wants to play again -- but it's not likely that any job will pay him near what he would have earned if he was still on the field."

Please fix your post again, as it's misleading. We heap plenty of anger and rants on this team, but no need to crucify the team on an issue they are not responsible for.

DotMPP, markmcf8, xbhaskarx and 3 others repped this.
  4. vjle

vjle Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This part: "Sources stressed that the club is trying to find a position within the organization, for Wynne"

SalinasQuakesFan and alexiskool1991 repped this.
  5. chilitownpontiff

Jul 14, 2008
    San Ramon
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't. The issue is that Marvell was out of contract after last year, and his new contract was contingent (as any and all pro sports contracts are) on passing a physical, one that he failed and started the heart surgery train a movin.

The league could have cancelled the whole thing right then and there if they wanted to.

hc897 repped this.
  6. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    There's a reference to contracts held by the league, but if he had no contract then he had no contract, and he might have expected it would not be renewed.

I feel bad for him, but not nearly as bad as I would have felt if he'd suffered cardiac arrest during a game. He's young, he's healthy, he's a nice guy, time to move on. There's always dentistry.

7. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Wasn't he recently included in a team picture? The one that did not have Simon Dawkins or Cordell Cato?

8. Pcp Yoko

Pcp Yoko Member+

Jun 2, 2002
    Mid Peninsula
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No mention if the players union has some type of fund for players disability. I would be surprised if they did as they seem kind of unorganized.

TyffaneeSue and tenfourteen repped this.
  9. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I was just informed that he was under a new contract with a health/fitness clause. He had to pass to validate the contract. So worst possible situation financially

mjlee22 repped this.
  10. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    I'd say that in one respect he's 'fortunate' that he had a contract that required such a physical examination, because if he was in some office job, his problem would have gone undetected until the worst happened.

bobby_guzman and markmcf8 repped this.
  11. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have that affliction - it's called arthritis!

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  12. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree that trying to find a job for him is "doing right by him".

Doing right would be paying him his expected player's salary.

I see in the other posts that Marvell is in a bind becuz he was technically out of contract. I think the Quakes could have gone to bat for him. They could have asked for an exception. Soccer is becoming a billion dollar biz in the USA, and MLS puts the squeeze on a guy who has worked for them for 11 years?

Sadly Marvell has 3 years of college left to complete. Now he has a medical pre-condition. His future doesn't look too hot, and I don't feel the Quakes are doing much right by him at all.

13. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The league may be tying the hands of the Quakes more than we think. And there is setting a precedent which could cause other problems in the future. How is trying to find him a job not doing right by him?

markmcf8 repped this.
  14. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because "finding a job" could mean a $30k/year part-time youth coach or marketing assistant instead of 2 years at $250k per year. It could be a job feeding Falvo news tips. Would you take your company finding you "a job" versus paying you your current salary?

15. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We have no proof that hey did not attempt to do so.

If I didn't have a "job" or in this case contract the fact that they are trying is better than no "job". And again it is MLS that decided to not continue paying Marvell, not the Quakes, so it would appear the Quakes are doing more than the "minimum", which would be nothing at all.

Earthshaker repped this.
  16. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't know if the Quakes have gone to bat for him or not, we just know that they are NOT the cause of his not getting paid, and that they ARE trying to help him get a position so he can get some money in.

The front office has been a bunch of bumblers but they are not cold-hearted folks: Fio was in Reno to be with Silva, and his family was flown there courtesy of the Quakes as well. Also a little girl who was a big fan of the Quakes was memorialized at the stadium--her name will be there for as long as the stadium stands. When San Jose flooded this year they also contributed large donations along with the Sharks and 9ers, while the Warriors and Giants, who like to claim San Jose, as their territory did jack shit.

I complain endlessly about the on-field and stadium shit including WTF ticket price raise, but the FO has not given me any reason to call them immoral.

So change your post and stop dragging our team's name through the mud.

17. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Why exactly is Wynne listed as "out" by MLS if they voided his contract? They have him listed with the same status as Cummings. Something is not lining up here.

18. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just an example of MLS incompetence. Right hand not knowing what the left hand has done.

19. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Cutting a player and not paying them might not be the same thing? Despicable, as MLS should just payout the rest of his contract. It's a hilariously small amount of money when you factor in that it is a cost shared among every owner in the league (and the the league owners are billionaires). But their march towards NFLism inches them closer to being as detestable as that league every single day. Garber may have helped grow the league, but he's simultaneously been leading it into a players' rights nightmare. I'm sure there are numerous other examples where this has happened, only to players that were far less tenured.

Learning this makes me seriously regret renewing my season tickets. I understand the Earthquakes might not have had much say in this, though I doubt they protested much, if at all, and could use their own money to pay the remainder of the contract. The line about trying to find him another role in the organization sounds like BS. If they wanted to fix this, they could have already.

bsman repped this.
  20. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NFL now has a decent pension plan. In addition to a pension based on years paid, the players can contribute to a 401k that has 2-1 employer matching and an annuity they can qualify for after 4 years in the league. Yes, some of this is not available until later in life, but, they also get other benefits like joint replacement, free neurological care, no cost spinal treatment, and other benefits to make up for destroying your body.

Regarding Wynne, we don't know if the league has some kind of a prohibition against a team paying the salary, though if not a player anymore I suppose the team could pay him whatever they want since I assume the league has nothing to do with non-player wages.

And it is just speculation either direction regarding what the Quakes are doing for him. The fact that Marvell is still sticking around indicates he sees the current situation better than just walking away.

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #96 falvo, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    One of my HS coaches claimed that he played for the 1943 NY Giants. He told me back in the early 80's that he got a $300.00 monthly pension check from the NFL. Not sure how true it was though....

22. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably true considering the time.

23. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, Jeff Carlisle broke the story. He would not have written about it if someone had not brought it to his attention. He would not have tweeted it the way he did if he felt the Quakes were "doing right by Marvell".

I'm not dragging the Quakes thru the mud. They could have stepped out of the mud on their own and gone to high ground but instead chose to drag their feet through it by (a) saying nothing and (b) doing nothing.

24. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? Jeff Carlisle specifically said in his article that the Quakes have NO part in this. YOU are the one who adds "disgusting Quakes" to your post. Jeff's tweets said nothing bad about the Quakes. I'm fine with "disgusting MLS" but to drag the Quakes into it?

The Quakes are not in any mud. They are part of the league and they have to follow league protocols. You are the one dragging them into and through the mud. Re-read your post please.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  25. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe you should just read all the comments to some of these tweets. I am not alone in my disgust, Many point out that '"clubs" and MLS are one entity as far as player employment, so you cannot really separate the Quakes owner from MLS. The tone of Carlisle's tweets is not, to me, one of "the Quakes are doing right by Marvell".