The Official Marvell Wynne thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jan 24, 2015.

1. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nine hours of open heart surgery! That's unusual...must have been some serious stuff going on -- something like a bypass would be about half that long. Something like fixing a valve or hole, they don't open people up any more.

2. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's a class guy and I hope he has a speedy and full recovery.......next season a long ways off but would love to see him on the pitch for the Quakes again.....

davez repped this.
  3. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assuming Marvell has an arrhythmia, my hubby says the cardiologists may have run a cathode up his leg to look for the spot in the heart to ablate. Therefore, would not be open heart surgery. Someone tweeted what i think was a post-op photo of Marvell, and he looked good and said the surgery had gone well.

I dunno what treatment Dempsey had, but if they had similar problems & treatments, then could be very good outlook for Marvell

4. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Hah, yeah, put a little bit of extra juice in that cathode, and he might score a hat trick! :)

5. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    As stated early, Marvell is a classy guy, hope he can return and play again and, unfortunately, it won't be an easy task. I do wish him (and family) the best.

6. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    My wife is a OR RN. It takes hours just to open and close an open heart procedure. They have to crack open the sternum, go on the bypass machine do the procedure restart the heart go off bypass then close everything back up. A valve replacement maybe 4-6 hours. Bypass longer because they have to harvest a vein first, usually from the leg, then take out and replace the heart vein(s).

7. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found the tweet by @RobStoneonFox. I don't think that's Rob Stone in the photo, and I guess this must be a pre-op photo. But the way that stuff is positioned, it doesn't look like they are planning to cut through Marvell's chest cavity

8. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That is post-op. See that big patch on his chest. That is where they cracked his sternum. The one on his neck is another IV directly into his carotid artery. The apparatus on the table tray is to check his lung volume capacity. His being an athlete is a BIG plus in his favor. Most of the heart patients my wife see's are older with many other health problems. He has a VERY good chance of making a full recovery.

9. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I showed my hubby that photo, and he agrees with you that Marvell had a sternectomy. My hubby is not a doctor, but a life sciences investor, so he knows a lot about medical devices and pharmaceuticals. He speculates that Marvell maybe had a bypass or valve job for a hereditary condition like high cholesterol, similar to what happened with Arthur Ashe.

Either way, has anyone who had their chest opened ever returned to playing professional sports? I doubt it, right? So unlikely he is coming back... which of course is really really sad.

10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #60 xbhaskarx, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    Is this like Columbus "finding" the new world?

They wouldn't give him the breathing exercise thing (the blue tube) before operating on him. Another clue would be "surgery yesterday... Looks fantastic today"...
    Also that is Rob Stone, just before he puts on his wig and all that TV makeup. :eek:

11. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh, I went to the trouble of searching for that tweet because of a question falvo asked.

I didn't look that closely at the photo. I just assumed that Marvell looked so good and awake, it must have been a pre-op photo.

12. scotto

scotto Member

Feb 13, 2001
    Bonny Doon, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's true that fixing a hole is almost always done in a catheter-based procedure, however valve replacement surgery is still dominated by surgical options. Mitral valve repair is often done via catheter, but catheter-based mitral replacements are not yet available in the US. Catheter-based aortic valve replacement is limited to high-risk and intermediate risk patients, i.e., patients who have significant risks associated with surgery, based on their age, medical condition, etc. An elite athlete would not have these risks. Mechanical surgical valves also have demonstrated better durability compared to transcatheter tissue-based valves, so for now surgery is still the better option for younger patients in most cases.

13. Trudge

Trudge Member

Feb 28, 2017
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    bsman repped this.
  14. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Wynne would be a great feel good story if he can return. He would certainly fill an area of need. I'm also curious if Leitch would consider playing 3 center backs like Toronto does. Wynne could be good in that formation on the right side wth Flo on the left and big Vic in the middle.

SeaJayBee repped this.
  15. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    My girlfriend and I were discussing the same thing. While I don't particularly favor a 3-5-2, the makeup of the team means it would probably be the best formation for them to use. Put Godoy or Ceren in front of the three fullbacks to act as a 4th defender, basically. That would free up Lima and whomever else out wide. Then there is still room for Hyka and Thompson or whomever, and Vako can sit in the center so that Wondolowski doesn't have to track back and take himself away from his most effective positioning.

I have serious doubts that Wynne will be able to really contribute this season since he's been out for so long, but with Bernardez, Jungwirth and Imperiale, they could still accomplish this. Puts the best players on the field at the same time and means that there is a sub available for one of the forwards, which Dom was doing without for some reason.

16. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Wynne would have been a vast upgrade to Sarkodie last night.

17. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think you guys are being a bit harsh on Sarkodie. There was one play where he was beaten pretty badly down the line, but he also made some really smart, simple plays that broke up counterattacks. One, specifically, where he just headed a long pass down was superb defending.

Do I think Sarkodie is a fantastic outside back? I think he's decent. Let's see how it goes with the team changing formations. Part of why the outside backs looked so weak this year is because they were overloaded with responsibilities. None of them looked especially good. Lima was among the best, but he struggled on the defensive end on a number of occasions, especially early in the season.

Sarkodie has a great deal more experience, of course, but I don't think he's really as bad as is being made out. Granted, I enjoy finding the flaws in players that people love and the positives in players that everyone seems to dislike. The fact is, no player in MLS is anywhere near perfect, and you are getting tradeoffs with regard to skill. Kinnear was a bad at player evaluation and even worse at using players in roles that emphasize their strengths and limit their weaknesses.

There is a lot of potential for all players to give better performances now.

18. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I am not a huge fan of Wynne, but he is actually a really good player for a 3-man back line, with his range and experience as both a CB and outside back, and not much need to attack, an area where he is not so good.

19. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #70 falvo, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    That is kind of sad and (with no pun intended), a heartless move but but I'm not surprised. A former CAL Golden Bears player Demitrius Omphroy was drafted by Toronto in 2011 and he was better than many players on the team. He was waived in November of that year because he had a condition which he learned to contain and and play with. Not any different than Jordan Morris diabetes. Of course in matters of the heart its a different story but considering all the money they wasted on Innocent, Dawkins and whomever, they could have at least paid the rest of Wynn's contract but I guess its coming form the league and not the Quakes. Single Entity takes up a different meaning with each passing year.

21. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't understand. I thought you couldn't cut an ill player. Never heard of not paying one. Weak contract?

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Who said you can't? I'm pretty sure you can cut anyone, injured , medical condition or what have you and we have seen it.

23. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But what if u have a TBI from playing?
    What if u got cancer in the off-season?
    What if u had a mental health illness?
    What if u got HIV/AIDS?

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm not sure. You would think they should pay for the players' insurance at least but I don't think they have to if they don't want to.

25. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please fix your comment to remove the Quakes. Our team is not to blame. In fact our team is trying to do right by him, per the article.

SalinasQuakesFan repped this.