The Official John J. Fisher ownership thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by xbhaskarx, Mar 30, 2019.

?

John Fisher

Poll closed Oct 30, 2019.
  1. should spend more money

20 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. should fire Fox and/or Fioranelli

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. should bring in additional owners

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  4. should sell the team

11 vote(s)
    34.4%
  5. is not the problem

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. is doing a great job!

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That's interesting, because reports are that he already sold his shares of the team to the other owners. He probably sticks around for some glad-handing and what have you, but he's not a serious owner/operator and he never was. This was obvious from the moment the league bent over backwards to try to get him to invest.

Fisher is a flawed owner, but he consolidated ownership even more than it was when Wolff divested. He's about as committed as an owner can get. He just doesn't operate the team you way you want him to. Totally different things.

SeaJayBee and markmcf8 repped this.
  2. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    But Dan, we got the Quakes back, courtesy of the same owners trying to move the A's to SJ. In the perfect world, why not have both? (Of course...the world isn't perfect)

3. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Respectfully disagree that a move to SJ wasn't possible. Yes, of course it didn't happen, but it had more to do with the shortcomings of SJ officials than anything else (not acquiring ALL the land at Diridon south, not offering any public financing for infrastructure). Expecting Fisher/Wolff to front ALL costs (land, stadium, infrastructure) was a complete showstopper with MLB, which loves them some public financing for stadiums!

4. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Correction to your comment: He doesn't operate the team the way WE want him to (I'm not the only one who feels that way). And what does consolidating ownership have to do with spending on the cheap, not signing quality players? Like I said, maybe I'll change my tone after tomorrow..

5. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Not sure I really follow you here. Public officials in San Jose never had a say in whether or not the A's would be able to move. It was always going to be up to MLB and how it ruled on its territorial rights. MLB was going to do what was best for its business, and what was best was keeping the two Bay Area teams where they are.

I'm also not sure I understand what you mean by disastrous results. The Quakes now exist in their own stadium in San Jose proper. The A's will hopefully build a new stadium on their current site once all the nonsense about waterfront parks is finally given up on.

6. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You claimed Beckham was committed to Miami, yet he sold his shares. Fisher invested more of his money in the ownership fo the team, which is literally the opposite of what Beckham did. You don't see that as commitment to owning the team? What do you think commitment means?

I don't say "we" because my opinion is my own and I don't speak for any other fans. I also don't speak for you. You have an idea of what you want Fisher to do, but I don't know how much of that reflects what other people want, nor do I really care. So I'd recommend you don't use "we" to try to give your comments more weight than they actually have.

7. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We lost two years and two stars on the kit.

And I've got a lot more gray hair now than I might have otherwise. :)

dpg and lew wolff.jpg
    Circa April 2006.

Antonio2020 and markmcf8 repped this.
  8. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I was responding to your assertion that anyone who realistically believed the A's were coming to San Jose was fooling themselves. San Jose public officials went so far as to file a lawsuit against MLB. That's how realistically they believed the A's could be had. In hindsight, they were certainly fooling themselves, but lots of ostensibly intelligent people believed it at the time.

9. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    See my post above about two lost years and two missing championship stars.

10. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Not sure what to tell you, I stand by what I said. It wasn't intended as a critique of anyone's intelligence. Human beings are expert at convincing themselves of things, seemingly totally independent of intelligence.

11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yes, and in doing so, they create havoc. If you weren't on this board back in the day, as it appears you were not, you likely have no idea how infuriating it was to have the San Jose Mercury News ignore the plight of the Quakes while trumpeting the effort to lure the A's to San Jose.

In 2004, there were two summer rallies in Plaza de Cesar Chavez, both on a weekday at noon. The baseball rally was attended by fewer than 150 persons, most organizers, city officials and the media themselves. The soccer rally garnered over 1500 people, ten times as many, and was mostly comprised of actual Quakes fans. The Mercury News, however, gave lavish coverage to the poorly-attended baseball rally (the bird in the bush, which you say no one could realistically covet without fooling themselves) and buried the massively-attended soccer rally (to save the bird in hand).

12. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ok, I see now hc: you're equating commitment as an owner to owning shares of said team. I (as well as others) equate commitment to spending on players, not being cheap and being aggressive seeking sponsorships, revenue. Just a difference of opinion, definition I suppose. That is all..

13. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yes, we did get a new stadium, even if its fast becoming obsolete by today's SSS standards of MLS 2.0, but I digress.

If MLB really wanted to do what was best for its business, it would've had two of its Bay Area franchises playing in the two largest, wealthiest cities, separated by 50 miles.

Anyhow, the move never happened so to keep my blood pressure in check I'll cease discussing A's to SJ. You're right, I'm wrong hc; better? Back to discussing soccer and the current Fisher regime..

14. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fisher sucks!!

Yeah, he and Wolff spend enough on our stadium, and sure it could be better, but there's a lot to like about it. (I've only been there four times? Maybe five?) And they can add to the stadium too. They could: put an exterior on it, enclose the open end (even if just adding an upper deck), create a dedicated aways fans section (section 666), add a roof (with grow lights for the grass), and I'm sure there are other things they could add to it.

But Fisher doesn't spend enough money on players. He's finally paid for a good coach, but he's going cheap on the players. Whatever he's doing to advertise, isn't enough. Soccer is really growing in our country, but you can't tell from looking at our team.

Fisher sucks!!

Go Quakes!!
    Fisher OUT!!

- Mark

Quakes05 repped this.
  15. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    FYP

don gagliardi repped this.
  16. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Fair enough. Considering both the Phillies and Royals have won titles more recently than the A's have, I'm not sure there are too many people still upset about those moves, but you never know. Of course, Phillies fans are subjected to National League ball, which really is worse than not having a team ;).

17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    They might still be pissed about losing the Warriors. :)

SalinasQuakesFan repped this.
  18. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    markmcf8 repped this.
  19. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  20. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Oops. I must have linked the wrong article. Goofy website, so probably rotated articles while I was clicking copy onto the hyperlink. The one I was intending was in the MLS N&A daily news compilation and reported dissension among Inter Miami fans with the Qatar sponsorship.

21. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ah, that makes a lot more sense. I was really scratching my head as to how it related.

22. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don does like to explain MLS through NFL analogies.:)

23. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Heard the scoop on Fisher and why he is a silent type.

Contrary to what I thought , he really cares about the team but doesn’t like to use a public forum to talk.

He did speak about it being Wondo’s last year which is kind of sad.

Anyway, I got more of an insiders view on why he doesn’t speak. Not sure if I agree with the philosophy or not but at least now I understand his perspective.

asdf2, SeaJayBee and jeff_adams repped this.
  25. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    soccer players pretend hurt.jpg