The Official Jesse Fioranelli thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jan 5, 2017.

1. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    After how much rope Doyle got, I fear we have another 5 years of Jessie.

Fischer can'tevaluate GMs so Fischer needs to hire a proven commodity like Lagerway. Of course that would require spending money, otherwise they would never come here. Thus, this will never happen.

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #2227 falvo, Mar 17, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    Here you go Jesse!

Return to me

Oh my dear I'm so lonely
    Hurry back, hurry back
    Oh my love hurry back I'm yours

Return to me
    For my heart wants you only
    Hurry home, hurry home
    Won't you please hurry home to my heart

[​IMG]

nihon2000 repped this.
  3. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    First, I really like how Jesse talks. I think he has the best intentions, but his plans have not worked.

Where I get worried about him as GM are all the mistakes I see and the fact that they are piling up. Things like drafting Paul Marie only to figure out he could not even be on last year's roster because of his citizenship.

This is 100% speculation with zero knowledge or insider information, but I'm going to speculate that Cade Cowell does not have a valid homegrown contract right now. I think the Quakes screwed up the signing by not understanding the homegrown designation rules of one year. My theory is the Quakes thought that if Cade played for the academy in 2018 that they could sign him as a homegrown in 2019 (calendar year). The thing is, Cade was on Ballistic's DA roster for last year's season. This year's season started in fall and runs until summer (last games are June 2nd). I think that Cade will be eligible on June 3rd to be a homegrown and that's why he is playing with the U-19s because that is the highest level the Quakes can play him for now. I could be absolutely wrong about that and if he plays against Monterrey then I'll admit I was wrong. But if he does not play for the Quakes or Reno by then I will believe I'm correct.

If I am correct, that's just another big screw up by Jesse.

asdf2 and Boysinblue repped this.
  4. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, you're saying that we suck in more ways than we can count?

nihon2000 repped this.
  5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Supposedly, Fioranelli is in the last year of his contract. At least that is what I read....

asdf2 repped this.
  6. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    I hope so. He is a disaster.

Beerking and markmcf8 repped this.
  7. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    I don’t give a damn how he talks. He needs to make better signings.

I hope you’re wrong regarding the Cowell situation. Regardless we sign all these kids and then never play them. Which sucks.

markmcf8 and Boysinblue repped this.
  8. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco

Exactly.

I think it’s technically Villarreal who we have Espinosa on loan from. Not sure about Leitch. Rest all makes sense.

markmcf8 repped this.
  9. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Don't be so sure about that. Fisher and Wolff gave Billy Beane part ownership of the team. It's a very small amount, of course, but given how radically the value of pro sports teams has blown up over the last decade, it could mean some serious long-term cash.

Granted, Beane proved himself as among the best MLB GMs for like 15 years before that happened, whereas Fioranelli has not proved anything good in about two, so I don't see anything like that happening in this case.

But Kaval led the charge to getting a new GM and, I think technically speaking, he hired Fioranelli. Maybe for the next GM, Fisher will spend a little more personal energy on the decision.

10. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I hope so as well, but Cade has been MIA since the LAFC preseason game. He was getting about the same amount of preseason minutes as TT was and Almeyda was praising his training.

11. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a really low bar for "how a GM talks"... to me there's nothing of substance there. In fact often times it doesn't even make sense, which I gave him a pass for because he's coming from Europe, but when the talk not making sense matches the front office decisions not making sense....

If you want to hear an impressive GM, listen go Garth Lagerwey talk about... well pretty much anything.

Starts at 35:15

nihon2000 and mjlee22 repped this.
  12. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    lol

don gagliardi repped this.
  13. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't understand this post. What does them giving Beane ownership have to do with how much rope jessie gets? Fischer inherited Beane and the dude was so good he got played by Brad freaking pitt -- pure luck for fischer and perhaps that ownership stake was needed to prevent him from leaving for an organization that actually spends money.

14. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a good episode, as was the last ETR pod that he was on. I think Lagerway was a lawyer as well as a former GK. Anyhow, the guy is clearly really smart.

SoccerIsOurLife repped this.
  15. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yes, the aspect of Fisher not spending enough to entice a good GM to come to the Quakes is what I was pointing out specifically. Beane famously turned down going to the Red Sox despite being offered more than he was being paid at the time (though I believe this was before Fisher became the majority owner).

I have to assume Beane has not been the best paid baseball executive in the league at any point, but offering him part ownership of the team as a way to keep him on as team president suggests Fisher is willing to figure out ways to entice good people to either stay or come into the organization.

Frankly, so long as MLS' star rises, there will be people who want to get in, both good and bad. Fisher can get talented people to run the team despite not spending a ton to get them, he's just found really bad people so far, presumably by not doing his due diligence. Wolff likely did most of the actual work out of the two owners with regards to running the A's and Quakes, and right now both teams have felt a bit of a hangover as a result.

Maybe Fisher figures it out, and hopefully he does sooner rather than later, but he's got a looong time to go before the situation becomes dire for him, if it ever could.

16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So, should we conclude a law degree should be a prerequisite for a good MLS GM?

17. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, tell us when someone asks you to interview, Donny boy! :)
    But it seems the most successful MLS teams have very smart GMs — or maybe a successful GM has a few very smart guys working for him. I listened to the ETR episode I think it was 2 seasons ago, where they interviewed Lagerway and Bezbeshenko. Both of those guys were so impressive. Miles above guys like Doyle, Jesse, and Ali Curtis.

SeaJayBee repped this.
  18. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You want me to apply for a job for which BigSoccer will be clamoring for my head within 30 minutes? I'd rather be the mascot's attendant. Bet you didn't even know there was such a gig. :)

nihon2000 repped this.
  19. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought BS was already clamoring for your head... :eek::D

nihon2000 and don gagliardi repped this.
  20. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nah - he annoyed me a bit last year, but I got over it...

mjlee22 and nihon2000 repped this.
  21. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That one in on Leitch.

22. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    We traded Amarikwa for Oduro. We got almost zero value for Oduro (didn't get minutes and we didn't sell or trade him). Meanwhile, Montreal got decent minutes from Quincy and turned around and traded him to DC.

That was objectively a bad bit of business.

23. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    OOPS! Looks like Quincy went to DC as a free agent. I take back my critique.

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #2249 falvo, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    In one years time, Quincy went from playing alongside Shea Salinas , Ignacio Piatti to being teammates with Wayne Rooney!

Pretty good jump I'd say.

mjlee22 and Scott Rohde repped this.
  25. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's clear to me after 3 games is that we still have a gaping hole in the left back.