The Official Jesse Fioranelli thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jan 5, 2017.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I understand that they are both at fault. Still no manager in the world will sqeeze wins out of this bunch. These players are crap!

2. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it's been posted before, but, with Flavo's love of the Scottish game, I thought it appropriate.

3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Perhaps we should re-sign the Scottish Italian, Tony Donatelli.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Both posts are inappropriate and don't belong in the thread.....

Meanwhile, next to Best, Jinky was the Quakes all time greatest dribbler.

Jesse should start scouting Celtic...

5. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    He's not from Celtic but SKC signed Scottish right mid / forward Johnny Russell last offseason and he's been really good. Way, way better than the Magnus, and from English 2nd division. Shows again that you don't necessarily need to spend a lot of money. But you do need to be smart. And he's a good drbbler, whereas rather than dribble his way out Magnus just falls down expecting to draw a foul :-(.

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1031 falvo, Jun 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    I like Russell. He was a good find for KC. For this league, I also think they could find a lot of talent on lower level clubs. Maybe on players who never got a chance on bigger clubs or were overlooked. The trick is finding them. Not sure what he is making but they only only paid 280k € in transfer fee for him.

7. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That could be. But having taken the wild leap, I would think that he would now feel a lot of pressure to be successful. Clearly, he's out of his depth, so he may well be thinking fondly of "The Old Country."

GO Quakes!!
    Fire Stahre!!

- Mark

8. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #1033 JazzyJ, Jun 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    And we paid an estimated $1.4 million for Magnus in transfer fees. :cry:

Beerking, falvo and markmcf8 repped this.
  9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1034 falvo, Jun 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    & over $2million in salary! :cry:

10. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    How does this relate to Fioranelli???

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They could be related as they are both Swiss! Haha!

12. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don gagliardi and NedZ repped this.
  13. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    uh, I thought that was really nebulous. Jesse said almost nothing useful.

ant0n, Beerking and markmcf8 repped this.
  14. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think it’s nebulous at all. But it reads like Jesse gave Robert a list of questions that he wanted to be asked. It just doesn’t read to me like the questions an independent journalist would ask.

markmcf8 repped this.
  15. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Softball questions behind a paywall. Does Fioranelli take any responsibility for the fiasco he has built?

I hope Jonas' next exposé includes interviews with the empty seats at Avaya that once contained paying customers.

Beerking and bsman repped this.
  16. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, not much there. He said a little more to me on the phone a few weeks ago, but still, not a lot. He remains confident in Stahre, which I just don't get. If he's such a good coach, and the players understand him, then why do we look so confused on the pitch?

The first goal we gave up in Portlandia, Alashe made a mistake and lost the ball, but the other players near him failed to react to the danger at all. It was shocking.

We continue to not defend the area just beyond our own box (Area 14 or 16 or whatever it is). Our left back continues to get exposed, no surprise there, but our response to it has improved only marginally.

Our defenders continue to avoid passing to our midfielders, who continue to fail to show for the ball.

We should have had all of this stuff nailed down in the preseason.

Disappointed!

Go Quakes!!
    Fire Stahre!!

- Mark

Socarchist repped this.
  17. sj_vanbasten

sj_vanbasten Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So, anyone read the Slusser article? Beane to the Earthquakes to replace Jesse?

18. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Link?
    This: https://www.sfchronicle.com/athleti...anging-times-signal-end-to-Billy-13005239.php

And there's nothing about BB coming over to the Quakes in there. That's just speculation on your part. Nevertheless, you could be onto something.

Beane coming over to the Quakes has been discussed and rumored off and on for years. But I would be really surprised if he replaced Jesse.

Keep an eye on this?

Go Quakes!!
    Fire Stahre!!

- Mark

19. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The article says nothing about the Earthquakes, or Beane replacing Jesse (and that would be a very bad idea, the GM should a soccer person)....

Last year, he received just a one-year extension.

Beane has several professional commitments outside of baseball, serving on numerous corporate boards, serving as an adviser for Dutch soccer club AZ Alkmaar, and owning a share of English soccer club Barnsley. It would surprise no one who knows Beane if he wanted to pursue other opportunities, in baseball or elsewhere.

That could get tricky, however: Beane retains a small ownership stake in the A’s, and any other team he might join would by definition be a competitor.

“That’s a very complicated dynamic that doesn’t exist elsewhere,” one industry insider said. “It’s an issue if he takes a job with another team; the A’s owners would have to buy him out or allow him to sell his shares on the open market, which they’re unlikely to want to do. The commissioner potentially would have to get involved.”

Uncertainty at the highest level is almost unthinkable for the A’s after “Moneyball” anointed Beane as one of the top minds in pro sports, but it’s becoming increasingly possible to imagine a diminished role for Beane — or none at all.​

I knew about AZ Alkmaar (I believe Earnie Stewart brought him on as an adviser, maybe he'll do the same for the USMNT now?), but I had no idea Beane owned a share of Barnsley...

20. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    The main reason it won't happen is that Beane is a full-on card-carrying europhile when it comes to soccer. He couldn't care less about MLS.

And I may be a minority but I would like to see him as Quakes GM because I think he'd try to be innovative, and he has a lot of connections in England if not also elsewhere, already working with folks on leveraging market inefficiencies in soccer. Yeah it could lead to another Euro wave but I think if he felt that Latin America or Africa was the place to get the best talent / cost in MLS, that's what he'd do.

21. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The lack of African players in MLS is interesting. It seems largely a result of distance + expense of scouting there compared to Latin America. Obviously one is much closercand there are plenty of players to choose from.

Of course, European teams have been scouting African players for a long time, so the players available to you might not make the return worth it even if you did go to the trouble of scouting there.

22. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    IIRC, the Clash had a couple of African players on roster back in the day!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ColinMcCarthy repped this.
  23. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    Mark,

You must have been too easy on Jesse, if he talks to me I will call him a fool to hold on to Stahre, his preparation for games is abysmal, his game control/strategy is atrocious, and his substitutions are poor.

And so far most of what we brought in on the offseason from Europe, (Ericsson, Qiborg) and South America (Quintana) has performed way below expectations. The only bright spots are Cummings (signed last year), Wehan (a usable sub) and a bunch of players we haven't seen (Calvillo, etc)

Underwhelming. If he was anticipating that we wouldn't be as good as last year (and we weren't that good) he has hit his mark. I wonder why I was a fool to renew my season tickets and pay a price increase.

Unless something dramatic happens, not happening again.

falvo repped this.
  24. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't very gentle on him.

I told him that I'm tired of losing. I've been a fan for a long time, and I'm tired of being told to be patient. I told him of my conversations with Kaval and Shawlee, both of whom agree that we need to win now. (Two and one years ago, now.) And we're still crap.

I expressed my dismay that we don't show for each other. That we lose the ball on throwins more often than not. (How the F@#$ is that possible?!) That when a defender makes a mistake his teammates don't cover for him. That we consistently don't defend the area just beyond our own box (Area 14).

He knows that I'm pissed. He got that loud and clear. And he already knew that I want him to fire Stahre.

I think that Jesse thinks they can turn this season around. He's thinking that Guram and one or two more new players will stabilize our defense enough that our offense can get back on track and earn us some victories.

And so what? Even if that is the case, and we suck less in the second half of the season, we still won't challenge for the playoffs, much less for the Cup. We're still throwing away yet another season of Wondo (and how many does he have left?). It's just one more season where we are the laughing stock of the league. It's one more season where we are in the hunt for the wooden spoon. Even if we improve in the second half (which is not a foregone conclusion in my view) will we be able to build on that momentum for next season? I'm not sure. Not at all.

I'm appalled by the state of our team, and really disgusted that I cannot detect any sense of urgency to get better.

No, I wasn't easy on Jesse, and I'm pretty sure he got just how annoyed I am.

Go Quakes!!
    Fire Stahre!!

- Mark

mjlee22 repped this.
  25. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

markmcf8 repped this.