The Official Jesse Fioranelli thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jan 5, 2017.

1. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    pig with apple in mouth.jpg

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

You mean he has spoken 30s word since 2007?

On average that is 2.3 words a year! :thumbsup:

3. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    at least we know he’s (probably) still in the land of the living!

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This is the second pig I've seen in the threads.

I was about to post how when I went to a pig roasts on a spit, a guy I knew came over to me with the roasted pig snouts and told me he was having it with eggs in the morning.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

[​IMG]

5. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it's a more complicated situation than I described.

If you want it to be a top-down structure, then you need a BigTimeGM and a subservient coach. Which is not what we have right now. We have a BigTime Coach, and a GM who is still learning on the job. One thing I stressed to Jesse after we hired Matias is that we for Quakes coaches, who are tied to us rather Matias have to learn the Matias system and methodology, such that when Matias leaves, we can carry on in the same vein.

Clearly, we are doing that. So I think that's good.

I think that Jesse and Bruno (and their assistants) need to identify players that might work well in the Almeyda system. I think that means looking in Central and South America. I don't see much evidence of that. I think that Matias has identified some players that he wants and Jesse has tried to get them. Which is sort of weak as you pointed out.

Another area in which we need to judge Jesse is in how much money he can get out of Fisher. The Stahre firing and the hiring of Matias and his huge staff was expensive, but Jesse got it done. That's a big feather in his cap (as opposed to a black eye).

Also, I think that changing direction in terms of head coach, GM, formation, system of play, system of training is disruptive to the organization. Clearly, when it's not working, you need to make changes. But at the same time, stability builds better teams in the long run. So, we need competent people running the team, and then we need to give them time to get the work done.

So on the whole, I want us to stay the course. We've invested a lot in this, now we need to give it time to bear fruit. Otherwise, we'll be in a complete overhaul and rebuild mode. Which would suck.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  7. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm really distressed and disgusted by the dead pig images.

8. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Beckham7 repped this.
  9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

There is a sort of resemblance to Jesse….:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm not sure it needs to be that extreme. Fioranelli should have ultimate say with how he thinks things should go, but that doesn't really mean Almeyda is subservient. They have different, complementary roles. If Almeyda and Fioranelli differ significantly in their philosophies, then one or the other needs to go assuming they can't reconcile. That's not the same as being subservient, in my mind.

If they are fully on board with how Almeyda has the team play, then yes. They should be trying to get players that they think will succeed in their chosen system. Fioranelli still needs to own that process.

I consider this more or less a success for Fioranelli as wel. Hiring Stahre was a huge mistake, but it's an understandable mistake. I think Fioranelli seriously misjudged the quality of coaching required to motivate and make a successful team in this league. He had a bad coach to work with when he first joined the Quakes, but unfortunately didn't really learn immediately how to get a better one. Recognizing that mistake and convincing Fisher to try to correct course is a positive. Nobody is going to be error free, and I don't expect him to be. Trying to make the situation better is what I ask, so this was good to see.

Almeyda has only had one year, so I'm not going to render a verdict on his performances based on that alone. Progress was made between 2018 and 2019, certainly. Fioranelli has had longer, and it's less clear that he's been an overall positive impact. I'm going to be more critical of him for that reason.

The fact that Fioranelli stuck with Kinnear, even allowed him to bring on Spencer as an assistant to give him a fighting chance, says something about his character, if not his judgement. One of the main points where I'm critical of Fioranelli is that he doesn't seem to have his own idea of what the team should be. He tried to get it to work with Kinnear. He didn't come in with a clear plan that he wanted to implement. Now he is on board with Almeyda and that system.

Well, what happens if Almeyda is ultimately unsuccessful? Does Fioranelli reboot himself in the image of the new coach he hires? A GM is supposed to lead the organization, have a clear plan to be competitive, and hire the people to execute that plan. From the outside, it looks as though Fioranelli is letting the rest of the staff do the hard work while he crosses his fingers he made the right hires. It just seems like a backseat approach, which doesn't fill me with confidence.

markmcf8 repped this.
  11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    "From the outside"? Considering the Quakes' lack of transparency, you may as well as say, "I'm a blind witness."

Fioranelli is doing a lot of hard work. Whether that means he's doing it well, is a separate question on which, for sake of discussion, people might disagree. But to question how hard he's working when you have no visibility into the process is really unfair.

falvo, Beckham7 and SalinasQuakesFan repped this.
  12. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i got an email invitation for a breakfast with Jesse on Jan-22-2020. I registered for it online but never heard back. When I asked my sales rep about it yesterday, he said it was over-subscribed. Are any of you going to this?

14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I deliberately did not sign up so as not to take anyone's place because it said seating was limited. But I thought you didn't like Jesse?

SalinasQuakesFan and NedZ repped this.
  15. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I attended one this week. It was my impression that everyone who attended (admittedly, a self-selected group) liked it.

Jesse spent a lot of time with fans, answering every question in depth. He spent the time moving table to table to talk with that table's attendees, so it was a series of small group face-to-face rather than a large presentation.

For what it is worth, and I could be wrong, of course, but I don't think MJ would find it persuasive. She has already had encounters with Jesse and I don't see him as being any different this time than he has been at past events.

mjlee22 repped this.
  16. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't like Jesse. That's why I would go. And it's probably why my registration went straight to the bit-bucket, because I assume I am persona non grata.

The real reason I was going to go is because I have to be in downtown San Jose at 10:30 that morning anyway.

Interesting to hear from Ned that Jesse talked with each table individually, and also that there is more than one such meeting. I only knew about jan-22.

17. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You really think they keep a "blacklist" of people?

18. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tried to sign up for the one on the 15th but got bumped on the 14th.

mjlee22 repped this.
  19. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You think they don’t????

That’s the same email I received, after I asked my rep if I was on the attendee list for Jan-22.

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #2745 falvo, Jan 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    lol....I knew about the people he was involved with at Lazio and Roma. By reading between the lines, Jesse was probably the lowest guy on the totem pole. I think they hired him because he spoke English.

21. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So you do. What proof do you have? Other than paranoia?

22. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, call it semi-paranoia. It just didn't feel like FIFO.

I registered online for the jan-22 session, and since i was at the time in southeast asia and 9 hours ahead, I figured I had to be one of the first people to respond. Then I waited about a week, but I didn't get any confirmation. Finally I emailed my rep, and he emailed me a reply at the same time that i received the "sorry" email. Which implies to me that my reg was in a holding tank somewhere, and he processed it.

You may recall, Jesse sent me a personal email awhile ago to cease my negative tweets about the Quakes...

bsman repped this.
  23. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    What does this mean?

24. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFO = First In First Out.

it's a software engineering term

SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  25. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I thought it meant, fake information for obfuscating. :)