The Official Jahmir Hyka thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Feb 3, 2017.

1. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't he injured?

2. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He was, but he also sat out in favor of a more defensive minded 3-5-2 where Sarkodie was tasked with playing wide instead. I've speculated a little bit on why that might be the case. I'm hoping it isn't incompetence, but even if it is planned, I wouldn't like to see players like Hyka suffer playing time as a result.

tenfourteen repped this.
  3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Was he really injured or was it more of an excuse to sit out awaiting a transfer? To claim a player is injured is the oldest line in the book.

4. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    #129 JazzyJ, Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    Folks, this isn't that hard. Hyka' been playing but not starting because TT's starting in his spot. In the 3-5-2 they compete for / share the same spot.

5. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He played against LA.

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm glad he is getting more playing time but Hyka is a much better player that TT.

7. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Not really. Tommy has been the Quakes' best player of late.

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #133 falvo, Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    Not so sure. Hyka has good skills and technique that isn't easily found in MLS.

You can argue his skills may be wasted in this league or with this team but he has more experience, good movement off the ball and makes great runs. He also has good vision better passing and shows off great dribbling displays at times.

9. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yep, he is playing ahead of Hyka on merit, by Leitch's gauge. TT plays better defense - wins and recovers lots of balls, and they are comparably productive offensively. TT is the Quakes leader in assists / min I believe, or close.

sacrxy and bobby_guzman repped this.
  10. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

That's a rather startling statement. In many ways, TT is a much better player than Hyka, and in many ways Hyka is a much better player than TT. Their skill sets are not interchangeable, and in terms of his passing, his ability to recover balls and his speed, TT is vastly superior to Hyka, whose skills are almost entirely offensive in nature.

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #136 falvo, Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    I don't think so. Aside from the fact that TT is an inexperienced unknown American , a player like Hyka could easily be signed to many European clubs before Tommy will. As a matter of fact, I doubt any club would sign Tommy right now or even seek his services.

Maybe Hyka wouldn't sign with a top club in a big league but someone could easily employ a player like him. Tommy may go in 3 or 4 years if he vastly improves and earns many caps but right now, Hyka is still a a much better and more experienced player.

12. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I think both Tommy and Hyka are good players, with different strengths and weaknesses. I wish Leitch could find a way to play them together. I would also note that TT is much younger and has more upside at this point.

Regardless I think it's pretty clear at this point that Leitch is much more bullish on TT than Dom ever was.

13. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think Tommy could play wingback instead of sarkodie until Lima is back. Even then maybe he could be LWB to get him hyka, and vako on the field together

14. Tom Szabo

Tom Szabo Member

Dec 31, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So a player is "better" if he is more likely to be signed on the basis of reputation and experience? Maybe in your world, but that's not how most people define "better".

bobby_guzman and JazzyJ repped this.
  15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #140 falvo, Aug 31, 2017
    Not necessarily in my world, it is in reality Also, of course experience and reputation matters when the time comes to signing for a club and when playing with and against better player, you will also become a better player. I guarantee you Pirlo will be signed by any club in Europe or anywhere else for that matter, most likely before Jack Harrison will. Antonio Conte wanted to sign him last year at Chelsea but he never spoke of anyone else on NYFC's roster.

That is still besides the point though because whichever way you turn it, Hyka is still a much better player and option in the midfield than Thompson is. That is coming from me that is just looking at his skill, experience , form, and technique.

Again, this isn't saying that TT won't turn into a good or great player but he isn't now and I doubt many clubs will seek his services or even heard or even him , for that matter. Maybe in 2-3 years but not now.

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Correction.

17. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Leitch does not agree.

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It's only because Hyka is in line to be transferred.

19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Not sure why you wouldn't want to play a guy whether or not he might be transferred at some point. TT is a better defender than Hyka. He wins and recovers the ball a lot. That could be part of it. There are two sides to the game.

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #145 falvo, Aug 31, 2017
    Maybe so he won't get injured? I mean what is the point of playing a player and risk injury if they know he will be gone soon? That is a common practice.

21. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #146 JazzyJ, Aug 31, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    I doubt very much he'll be gone soon, certainly not before the end of the season.

Besides, he's been playing, just not starting.

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You may be right as the European transfer window just closed.

23. Whatasoccer

Whatasoccer New Member

LFC
    Italy
    Sep 15, 2017
    Interesting thread... since I am Albanian, and in the Bay Area, I could whip up some food for y'all, if you're up for it, just BYOB and an extra one for me.

When Hyka came to town I contacted him on FB. We had a few chats, and he stopped replying after a while. Pressures of training?

mjlee22, don gagliardi and falvo repped this.
  24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Thanks for posting! Bevenuto! :thumbsup:

Do you know if Hyka will be here next year?

25. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States