The official Jackson Yueill thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now he needs to up his attacking game and think about getting into positions where he can get a shot off like the one where he scored from outside the box.

2. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He admitted that he didn't like to defend? I'm surprised, but yeah, you can't really get away with not defending, no matter where you play. I'm not surprised a team would pass on him after hearing that, but that gets me wondering: how many guys become less attractive to teams due to attitude? By attitude I don't just mean being a jerk or whatever, I mean, just expressing apathy toward a specific aspect of the game, like Yuiell did for defending. Were the Quakes smart in getting him despite knowing this with the expectation that they could change him? Or did they just accept that limitation and think they would work around it?

I have to think teams are always under the assumption that they can change player behavior to a certain extent, but I am really curious to know how flexible they are with regards to that. And do you want players that are more flexible or players that understand what works for them and tries to maximize that?

3. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no way in hell would kinnear have drafted him without jesse being here

4. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    couple of recent examples
    christian roldan intentionally tanked his performance at the combine so that he would drop to his hometown sounders in the draft. the whole league was duped and passed on him.

in 2012 the quakes stupidly drafted sam garza over nick deleon due to character issues (deleon was caught with marijuana in college).

5. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Interesting. At what point does something like tanking at the combine violate the rules? I assume there was some controversy over it if we know about it.

Surprised that a marijuana issue would stop a team from signing a player unless it was for dealing or something. Of course, as an athlete, there are obvious health concerns with smoking, but that probably wasn't the reason for the pass (if you'll pardon the half-pun).

DotMPP repped this.
  6. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Almeyda is the perfect coach for Yueill...challenges him to be a two way player.

Yueill's marshmellow D was a glaring weakness. Such a disparity in his game when compared to his nats level vision and ability to drop incisive seam splitting dimes on players. He has the potential to be Stu holden level, but he didn't have Stu's defensive mentality and grit...huge credit to Almeyda in motivating Jackson to become a complete player.

There are many positives since Almeyda took the reigns, but Yueill's rapid development has to be near the top.

DotMPP, Sactown Soccer and don gagliardi repped this.
  7. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    I lived in MN during Randy Moss's rookie year. I believe he also got passed over by teams due to some issues with marijuana. He also later admitted to using it during his NFL career. Imagine how much better he could have been if he just stayed away from the stuff ;)

8. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're going to state a conspiracy their as if it's a fact...
    [​IMG]

10. tenfourteen

tenfourteen Member

Sep 30, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    he may not have tanked, but when a potential top 5 pick drops down to 15 to be drafted by his college town team that heʻs been training with in the off season, thereʻs gotta be some shenanigans going on. but itʻs the MLS so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

don gagliardi repped this.
  11. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Maybe Landon Donovan is his agent...

12. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he was a consensus top-2 pick before the combine, played like sh*t in the combine, and then was drafted by his hometown team at #16 after most of the league had passed on him. I call shenanigans.

don gagliardi repped this.
  13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Jackson Yueill had an assist on Wondo's 4th goal. He is also looking like a candidate for the 2020 WC team. If they make it...

14. LongTimeQuakesFan'74

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Nov 12, 2007
    Arlington, TX, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a brilliant move ala Wondo, to never give up and keep the ball moving.

Scott Rohde and don gagliardi repped this.
  15. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's going to be really really tough for Jackson Yueill to make the 2020 World Cup team, no matter how well he does!
    2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo, on the other hand, we already know he's in the picture for that (link).

16. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Cool. I counted 3 Quakes on that roster.

17. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two, Yueill and JTM. Haji Wright (Schalke) is not Siad Haji.

Scott Rohde repped this.
  18. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty great to see Jackson and TT flourishing under Almeyda after what they've gone through with previous coaches. And Lima has had ups and downs for the Quakes this season but is still very entrenched in the gameday squads. Imagine that, play the younger players more and they get better...

tenfourteen, Sactown Soccer and JazzyJ repped this.
  19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If Jackson keeps playing like he has, he could very well be one of the starters on the qualifying matches for both 2020 Olympic team and the 2022 World Cup team ...

Let’s just hope the USA quality for both tournaments.

20. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #120 jetdog9, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    This week's Armchair Analyst column on MLS highlights Yueill's work leading up to Wondo's 4th goal...

"And now your weekly dose of Jackson Yueill:

This whole sequence is a freaking masterpiece. From the patience to let the run unfold and draw the opposing midfield to him, to the skill to play Shea Salinas into space with the outside of his boot, to the opportunism to realize Dax McCarty's caught out and beat him upfield, to the inventiveness to backheel Salinas's just-off-stride pass to Wondo, to the awareness to stay on his toes and crash the box after Cristian Espinoza's shot, to the patience and skill to finally finish the play off by sliding it across the six and onto Wondo's boot."

https://www.mlssoccer.com/iframe-vi...d=default&brightcove_account_id=5530036772001

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/05/19/armchair-analyst-all-24-mls-teams-review-week-12-analysis

21. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Per Matthew Doyle's comments in the article in above post, it's really a super-assist... Jackson starts the whole play from Quakes' half of the field.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    After some rookie mistakes, a 22 year old Jackson Yueill is really coming into his own!

I hope he ends up staying in San Jose and doesn't go to Europe but I have a feeling he will end up there soon!

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  23. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to cringe when I heard Doyle & Wiebe say "the Jackson Yueill hype train" even during his rookie season. Not because I disagreed with them, but I was worried that they were going to jinx him.

If Yueill sustains the current level of play for the rest of the season, it'll be way past just the hype...

24. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Sactown Soccer and due time repped this.
  25. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Both the vision and the skill to execute...that's just filthy.