The Official Guram Kashia Thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Beckham7, Jun 14, 2018.

1. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See maybe I'm just a "snowflake" but to me being directly told by another member "f*ck you" and called "a prick" would qualify as "abusive, hateful" and likely "contains adult or objectionable content"....

Some of my comments were removed, can you as a mod inform me what specific text from my comments was in violation?

2. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    There were six back-and-forth comments, and most (all?) incorporated quotes from prior posts. So if someone says to you, "you are an execrable mess and I want to throw you into a vat of boiling oil" then that person is out of line, but if you call them on it by quoting their inflammatory statement, no point in keeping your post either because you're repeating that language -- even if it wasn't yours.

Plus the he-said/he-said exchanges rarely play well. Lots of heat without any light, as they say. Not conducive to maintaining a civil community. And pointless on a thread where you'd expect to see discussions of the new player's strengths, flaws, what he's likely to contribute to the team, and whether we'll miss Muma even more after watching him play.

3. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  4. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You just did attack directly someone (me) on this site. Again. You are effectively calling me unworthy of credibility ("laughable") for not posting links to support my first hand account. It is quite evident from the context to whom you are alluding and that your purpose is to impugn another person's (my) integrity.

Your premise that something is not evidenced unless it is linked to a news article is a faulty one. You can believe me, or not, but the evidence is my say so, which would suffice in a court of law if I were to give the same competent testimony under oath, which I certainly would.

I did not feel the need to disseminate inside information months ago. When a signing happens, it happens; the fact I knew ahead of time a CB would be signed during the summer transfer window is immaterial. The only reason I posted now is to dispel what I believe to have been Fake News in the Mercury News about what that signing signifies. It is not a tacit confession by management, as Elliott Almond asserted.

I regularly learn things from inside sources with the Quakes and keep the information in confidence, sometimes for years, sometimes forever. Now that the summer CB signing has happened, I felt it is okay for me to announce (1) what I was told after the signing about when it was contemplated (in January); and (2) when challenged by Earthshaker as to the "BS" of such information, the corroborating fact (I was aware months ago) from a separate source that there would be such a signing, albeit not the name of the CB (which I would not have recognized in any event).

I am keeping my sources confidential in this case so that they will remain sources. Believe me or not, but it is utterly unnecessary for me to hyperlink secondary media reports when I have firsthand information the media was not able to elicit from their own sources.

I am going to file this episode under No Good Deed Goes Unpunished. And I hope for this to be my last word on the subject. I appreciate everyone's understanding.

DotMPP and SeaJayBee repped this.
  5. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gentlemen! No fighting in the War Room!

TBPride, NedZ, Beerking and 2 others repped this.
  6. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    First player with his own "Thead". :)

7. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back to Kashia ...

Even if he's really great, our problems are that some of our players are not good enough, but more importantly that our guys don't work well together. One guy is not going to change that.

Unless he's a powerful influence in the locker room and in training, it won't make a lot of difference. If he can organize the defense for us, so much the better. Does he speak Spanish? I bet not, but maybe. A lot of soccer players learn Spanish.

Some of you think that Kashia is the first of several signings. I hope you're right, but don't hold your breath. There maybe one or two more coming, but it won't be a whole raft of new guys. (Unattributed hot air on my part.)

I hope that Kashia is a sign of good players to come.

Even so, I fear that whoever we bring in this transfer widow will be too little to late for this season.

Go Quakes!!
    And I still want Stahre Fired!!!!

- Mark

davez repped this.
  8. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    He appears to be the type of player that could have a big impact in the locker room as well as on the field. But it's not like we are hurting that much for leadership, with Flo and Wondo in the house.

9. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's not like even a serviceable left back couldn't have changed the entire trajectory of the season.

10. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #60 markmcf8, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    Yes, but even were we to sign a quality left back now, it's not going to have that big an impact. With fifteen games in the bank, we would need an epic winning streak just to have a shot at the playoffs.

But we're still a disjointed, uneven team. It's hard to imagine these guys suddenly getting it together.

Let's say that Guram is great. Let's further guess that we get two more players. Where would you want those guys to play? And can you actually imagine three new faces totally changing our trajectory? I can't imagine that.

We're going to suck the rest of the season.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Mark, I wrote off the season months ago. You're right, no signing or set of signings will help the team qualify for the playoffs. The chase for MLS Cup is over. My point was that the Quakes may suck now, but they are still competitive in every game and could have twice the points in the standings right now with barely any improvement in personnel. So, I can imagine the team suddenly getting a lot better.

The Quakes need to use the remainder of the season to add some key pieces (hopefully Kashia is one and a decent left back another) and determine which players and coaches to keep, while adding others in the offseason, so that next year they won't suck.

bsman repped this.
  12. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get this, really I do. I think with a different coach we could get a lot more out of the same roster.

BUT, do you think Jesse will fire Mika? No, you don't, or you've said that you don't. I don't think Mika is going to get fired either, so I expect us to continue to suck.

I'm very disappointed.

Go Quakes!!
    Fire Stahre!!

- Mark

13. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The chances of the coach getting fired increase exponentially if there are quality defenders and the team still cannot achieve results.

One reason I'm not sure the coach is to blame, or at least not entirely to blame, is that this team has the worst MLS defense I've ever witnessed, with not even a single clean sheet through nearly half the games. That is the product of a patchwork backline and a perhaps not-yet-ready-for-prime-time keeper.

If the defense becomes merely of average MLS quality, the Quakes automatically become an above-average team, because their offense has quality. Kashia and a bona fide left back seemingly could achieve those modest aims. Suddenly, everyone seems a lot smarter.

SeaJayBee and markmcf8 repped this.
  14. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He appears to be a quality player and leader. I'll take that any day...you can never have enough of both. Imo, we're short on leadership, we have Flo and Wondo...with Lima and Alashe growing into the role. I'd love to have 3-4 more legit leaders...players with the same attributes as Flo. Hopefully Kashia will be at that level of leadership and impact.

Still need an LB and ACM...and probably need to move a few guys too.

markmcf8 repped this.
  15. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    One would have to assume the team was in talks with Cummings prior to Doyle's dismissal. He's definitely a Doyle type signing compared to what we've seen from Fioranelli once he was on board.

Defense certainly doesn't seem to be something that either Fioranelli or Stahre know anything about, which wouldn't bother me so much if the team played a more interesting, attractive style. Instead, they just long ball it to Hoesen and pray for the other team to make the same kinds of mistakes that San Jose makes. They've managed to pull that off in the last couple games, surprisingly enough, but it won't last for long.

I hope Kashia works out, but I'm not going to hold my breath so long as Stahre is quote unquote coaching the team.

16. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Doyle was terminated at the end of August, 2016. Jesse was hired early January 2017 and the Cummings signing was announced right about the same time. So there was a full 4 month period where Leitch was the interim GM, and I remember reading about how he and Dom were working every day during that offseason on acquisitions. So besides Cummings, I think they set in motion a number of the signings for the 2017 season, many of which are falsely entirely attributed to Jesse. That includes Urena, Hyka, and possibly Flo and Hoesen as well. There were rumors of those all or most of those signings before Jesse was hired.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  17. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County

DotMPP and don gagliardi repped this.
  18. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Extra points for you @Beerking! That was exactly the reference I had in mind. (Though, I see that I miss quoted it. :cry:)

Go Quakes!!
    Fire Stahre!!

- Mark

Beerking repped this.
  19. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Anyone know what international slot this guy will use? Are the Quakes buying one again? Someone like Paul Marie got a Green Card? Or will the Quakes be trading an international player?

Lots of issues last year getting Vako on the team in mid season.

20. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Since Marie is on loan to Reno, does he count against our international slots?

21. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Maybe, but I think the loan has to be “permanent” for the season, meaning he can’t appear for the Quakes.

22. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    According to MLS (https://www.mlssoccer.com/rosters/2018/san-jose-earthquakes), only Musovski is on loan to Reno. Apparently, Marie still takes one of the international slots, which are tradeable.

MLS has not added Kashia to the roster yet. There isn't much room in the roster for new players, just one empty slot, presumably Kashia's.

23. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guram needs to be great. Right now, our GAA is an eye-gouging 2.05. That's really, really terrible.

Now I don't want to seem like a hypocrite, so I have to say that while I was alarmed by Leitch's Quakes hemorrhaging goals on the road, we won almost all of our home games. So it was more of a mixed bag. Whereas this season, the bag is consistently full of waste, on the road and at home.

Guram needs to solidify our backline and lead us to a much lower GAA. He has to. We should be able to measure GAA before Guram and after Guram and see an improvement.

The good news (if there is any) is that we're scoring 1.6 GFA. So, if we can get our GAA down below 1.6, and maintain our 1.6 GFA, we should win some games. (I'm setting a really low bar here, because we are so freaking terrible that any measurable improvement should be cause for celebration.) Realistically, a GAA of 1.4 would be great, and about the best we can hope for (in an After Guram world). So that implies squeaking out some wins 1-0 or 2-1. Not very impressive, all things considered.

I don't think that Guram all by himself can turn our club around. I think he should be a big help, both as a player and as an organizer on the backline, and hopefully as a leader in the locker room. That's a lot to put on one guy.

So clearly, we need two or three more guys in the reinforcement squad.

And I think that the only goals we can have for the rest of the season are:
    • That we suck less.
    • That there is measurable improvement in our squad. (Lower GD, more games won, lower GAA, higher PPG.)
    • OR, that we fire Stahre.
    It's a pretty bleak assessment.

Go Quakes!!
    Fire Stahre!!

- Mark

24. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    transfer window open as of today.....so was he training with Quakes today? Or we going to have to wait for a couple weeks due to "paper work" to get done?

25. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I wonder if the next off-season roster changes would be aimed at having Flo, Kashia and Cummings as 3 CB, then getting a left wing back to complement Lima on the right so we end up with a 3-5-2 which can play out of the back and maintain possession when user pressure?

markmcf8 repped this.