The Official Florian Jungwirth thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Feb 2, 2017.

1. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Flo absolved the coach. So, his remarks seem possibly overtaken by subsequent events.

2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Saw this quote from Wondo that he made in early March.

Two diametrically opposing views of reality. And it's not just like Flo is making this assessment after the fact. He claims that "we all saw it coming". Well, based on Wondo's comments, no, that's not right. And I think Wondo would still disagree that the roster is not good enough.

Wondo: “We threw away the old playbook,” striker Chris Wondolowski, who is entering his 10th year with the Earthquakes told me earlier this week. “We have quality that I have not seen on this San Jose team since I’ve been here.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/03...kes-mls-2018-schedule-tv-time-tommy-thompson/

Flo: “As a player, you want to get results, but this year we have to be honest: we don’t have the quality to compete with most of the teams in this league,” Jungwirth told Quakes Epicenter on Wednesday prior to San Jose’s match against Montreal. “So, that’s the problem, but I think we all saw it [coming]. It’s not like to blame on single players, on [a] single person or whatever. Like I said, the quality is not good enough, otherwise we would have been able to straighten out and win some games.”

So, who to believe. I believe that the truth is somewhere in the middle. It's not the greatest roster - Jesse's offseason moves failed for the most part. But still, same core players, much, much worse results. Based on that, I still have to hold Stahre accountable.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If Stahre stays, I think Florian will be gone next season...

davez repped this.
  4. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Writing on the wall for that one anyway. No way Flo stays on the bench, one way or another.

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Aside from Chicago , maybe he will find other Germans in Cincy?

6. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    The reality is, after his whole "my teammates are not good enough to compete" rant, he is not all that good either, as a d-mid anyway. Just pretty average in this league. He is better than average as a CB but even then maybe not a starter there for us at this point either.

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Florian is a good defender but for whatever reason, he is not Stahre’s player...

8. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    It is some heavy karma biting Flo in the arse. After "my teammates are not good enough", a USL player comes in for him and plays as well or better.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  9. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like the story has played out just as those two quotes demonstrate:

1. 03/03/18 Wondo sees a 'Quakes roster that's better than any he's seen before
    2. 07/14/18 Flo's seen enough of the rest of the league to know the best San Jose roster to date won't cut it.

alexiskool1991 repped this.
  10. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It is a good read. Thanks for sharing.

From the interview:
    "The former German youth national team member said he doesn’t expect there to be a team-wide language barrier nor does he feel pre-Almeyda players will be at a disadvantage when it comes to becoming favorites in ‘El Pelado’s’ system. To him, if anything, it’s an opportunity for him to develop as a professional. The opportunity to ameliorate San Jose’s soccer is also present, but not without collective effort and the eradication of individualistic behaviors, which he believes was the tool that was used far too often in attempts to overturn last year’s crisis."

That is so true. We didn't play as a team or with an effective plan. Sometimes I would think we just picked up 11 guys from the neighborhood park pick up games. There was also a lack of intensity and urgency.

markmcf8, NedZ and Beckham7 repped this.
  12. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and a lack of talent at left back, GK, and midfield.

Also, he forgot to include a lack of quickness (the Swede, his, Godoy)...

markmcf8 repped this.
  13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Why is Flo not starting or even not coming on as a sub? Is he injured or out of form?

I can’t imsgine he is worse than whomever has been playing...

14. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe his is just as bad as everyone else but keeps losing the coin toss on who gets to start.

hc897 and alexiskool1991 repped this.
  15. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

bsman repped this.
  16. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that Florian will be traded or cut, maybe not until the end of this season, but certainly before the start of next season.

Bummer. I like Flo!

Go Quakes!!
    We really, really, really suck!!

- Mark

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Is Jungwirth heading back to Germany to free up another international spot?

18. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe he's one of the players who got his green card in the past few months...

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Florian Jungwirth is making $500K. That is a lot of money for a benchwarmer. Especially one who has yet played a minute after 3 games.

20. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    We just re-signed him so it seems like another roster blunder because he’s one of our highest paid players and sitting on the bench.

hc897 repped this.
  21. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's made the game day 18 for all three matches, but not gotten any playing time. Nor has Ockford for that matter.

Where would you play Florian? Center back? Or D-mid? I'd be inclined to play him at center back, and send either Kashia or Cummings to the bench. Hell, maybe play Flo and Ockford both and bench Kashia and Cummings both.

And maybe Bersano for GK?

Hoesen to start?

TT in for Eriksson at the #10 spot?

We're just crap. I doubt this season will be better than last.

Go Quakes!!
    We Suck!!

- Mark

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  22. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Flo was best as a CB - he won Quakes defender of the year in 2017. So I would replace Cummings with Flo.
    Cummings isn't bad but he tends to make costly mistakes.

Sactown Soccer and Quakes05 repped this.
  23. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whose decision was that, Jesse or Almeyda?

markmcf8 repped this.
  24. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    I don’t know why you’re asking and I don’t know the answer. I do know Almeyda’s not playing him so maybe that means it wasn’t his decision to re-sign him? But really I don’t know.

25. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It probably doesn't really matter all that much whose decision it was. Logically, and technically, it was Fioranelli who made the decision. He is the one responsible for signing players. Re-signing Jungwirth was not a good move, in my opinion. I liked his passion, but his performances last year didn't help him make a case that he should be playing in this league.

He was often the worst player on the field when he was out there. Out of position a lot, made last ditch stabs in bad areas of the field that took him completely out of the equation, and physically doesn't seem to be able to keep up with the demands.

Unfortunately, I think the first couple of performances he had for the Quakes shaped how we've thought of him, when the reality is that he was never particularly good, the team was just so conservative that he was put in a position to look better than his true talent level.

It's a bummer that he didn't work out and an even bigger bummer to have him on the roster if he's never going to be used. While it's not as big a profile signing as Vako or Eriksson, I do think this particularly signing is a key example of Fioranelli underestimating the level of competition in MLS.

markmcf8 repped this.