The Official Florian Jungwirth thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Feb 2, 2017.

1. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I hope he's pointing the finger at himself as much as he is the rest of the team here. He's been far from stellar and he's failed to protect the defensive line just as much as Godoy did. He's old enough where it's already time to start to give a hard thought to moving on.

2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    JazzyJ repped this.
  3. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    You and I have very different views of what constitutes "fresh air". :rolleyes:

4. sj_vanbasten

sj_vanbasten Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I really don’t see the big deal here. Seeing Jordan’s tweet I thought maybe he called out guys by name... I mean we all know he means Qiberg sucks, but... really? Can you deny that this team is worse than last year? Come in Jordan - pulling together and team spirit is icing on a well cooked cake, right now we have a well cooked pile of trash

davez, Beerking and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Really? Because it has been explained ad naseum. There are two problems with Florian Jungwirth's public comments: (1) they are untrue; and (2) he made them publicly, calling out his teammates, which is thoroughly unprofessionalism and has harmed (probably irreparably) the team dynamic. It's a big deal.

6. sj_vanbasten

sj_vanbasten Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Did I miss something- what is it he said is untrue among the following:
    - You can’t blame this on a single player or person
    - the quality on this roster is not good enough
    - the coaching staff is trying 24/7 to fix it
    - the players are trying to get better
    - the business will eat you if you don’t give your best

I get that it sounds like defeatism, but I DON’T feel like he was airing internal dirty laundry (like “there is a faction of players who have given up”, or “x player is terrible”), he called out things that are obvious to us outsiders.

7. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Why don't you quote him verbatim and in full and then we can dissect what he said, word-by-word.

And why don't you also address point number 2, which you conveniently ignore because it does not fit your narrative.

8. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I mean, being accurate, and talking to the public about it are two different things. Whether it's right or not, it's generally not considered a good idea to talk about how bad your team is to the public when you're still a member of that team. Heck, we raked Bingham over the coals for doing it after he was traded. It can be taken as a sign that you've given up.

Although saying that the coaching staff is trying 24/7 to fix it is generous. Maybe they are trying to fix it, but they aren't going to since they have no idea what they are doing. Trying and doing are two different things, and Stahre has demonstrated that no matter how many chances he gets, he's going to put out a team as naive as he is. The man's an idiot.

9. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    It is absolutely not obvious to outsiders. Leitch and Dom had roughly the same kind of roster and got much, much better results. In that context, it makes no sense to completely absolve the coaching staff of blame - just that they are working 24/7 to fix it! Well, they've failed horribly, while recent previous coaches at least had the team around the playoff demarcation line generally.

Second, it's not a matter of whether everything is "true" or not, and as indicated above I don't think everything is true. That is not what Jordan Stewart is being critical of. It's - what useful purpose does it serve to tell your teammates they aren't good enough, and what good does it do the business for the fans to think that there's no use going to the games - the players are not good enough to compete? If you feel that way about your teammates, you can have a private conversation with Jesse about it - or someone who can actually do something about it.

10. sj_vanbasten

sj_vanbasten Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Leitch and Dom had roughly the same kind of roster and got much, much better results.

- the league got better relative to us.

But I don’t disagree the blame goes all around. The coaches may be working 24/7, but if they aren’t quality, and dont have a quality roster, things will be bad.

I was responding directly to Don saying what Flonsaid was “untrue”.

I wholeheartedly agree that what Flo said is suboptimal- I just don’t think it is a big deal relative to all the other disasters this team finds itself in. I don’t blame him for being pissed. I actually am glad to have some insight into the anger the team has as well. If the players were complacent, that would be an even bigger problem.

I get it, some people value stoicism more than others.

Beerking repped this.
  11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Flo does.

12. sj_vanbasten

sj_vanbasten Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It is LITERALLY what he said:
    “It’s not like to blame on single players, on [a] single person or whatever.”

alexiskool1991 and Beerking repped this.
  13. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Blaming more than merely a single person is not the same as placing blame all around on every person.

14. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I wonder if Flo has a contract which expires at the end of the year and is not planning to return?

15. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    At this point, I don't see how he can return. I predict he's off the roster on opening day 2019.

16. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Maybe he’s forcing a trade? Competitive players can only take so much losing before it eats them up.

17. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    It doesn't matter if he calls out a single person or not. He is saying - I don't believe that my teammates are good enough to complete. That is not to blame them for not trying. That is to blame them for not being good enough. "The roster" is just an indirect way to say "my teammates".It is also a pretty direct shot at those who assembled the roster.

My analogy is this. You're in a foxhole fighting a war and the leader stands up and says "Guys, it's just not going to happen. We're not good enough. But we should keep fighting rather than surrender so as to honor our country".

So what effect does that have on the morale of the team? Sure you'll keep fighting, but knowing that it's hopeless or you're leader thinks it's hopeless, how well do you think you're going to fight vs. believing there's a chance for victory and that your leader believes in you? That's the problem with going public with these kinds of comments, and we haven't even gotten to the effect on the fanbase.

don gagliardi repped this.
  18. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #69 don gagliardi, Jul 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    Not only that, but I don't recall Flo expressly assuming any of the blame for himself (did I miss that?), and as I have said he expressly absolves the coach. So, he's blaming his teammates, or some unspecified subset of them, but not himself or the coach. Blame does not go "all around," and as such Flo disagrees with sj vanbasten.

19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yes, and has been mentioned, not everyone has been impressed with his play this season, as a dmid. He has been, after all, one of the guardians of the Quakes supposed achilles heel, the dreaded "zone 14".

20. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The last time I saw an estimated salary for Flo was when I checked Colin Etnire's spreadsheet on the Quakes Epicenter site showing a total compensation number of $566,671.07 with a salary cap hit of $150,000.00 as a 2017 29.6 TAM player, (salary hit based on estimated TAM and cap ceiling).

21. sj_vanbasten

sj_vanbasten Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I also find it interesting that he didn’t call out the coaching. Is it telling that an 11 year verteran of multiple leagues and clubs doesn’t call out the coach. Maybe there is nefarious motivation behind that, but it is definitely interesting

22. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Joel Soria posted a Periscope on Friday, July 13 at:

https://twitter.com/QuakesEpicenter

He discusses his interview with Flo and other topics as well for about 28 minutes.

23. John Jussen

John Jussen Member

May 21, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    What we have here is a failure to communicate.

24. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    After Saturday, Flo's tweets seem comparatively rather innocuous...

Beerking repped this.