The Official Fire Sunil Gulati Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by sXeWesley, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    Nike & Fox are pisssssssssed right now

2. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some people are assessing that the US doesn't lose any money from this because they have an existing tv and sponsorship deal. But I think that's being cynical there will be no changes because of Murphy's Law and/or ignorant to the reality they have a plethora of revenue streams, some which will have immediate impact and others for the future.

They simply can't afford to keep the status quo, unless Sunil has some incriminating photos on them or info about corruption scandal that he's not implicated in himself. At the very least he's gone. That doesn't mean they'll pick the right replacement because they chose him.

3. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is a phenomenal synopsis of all the weird relationships that stink to high heaven, we know are wrong, but no one is really willing to chase down and articulate.

http://www.soccernomics-agency.com/?p=973

To improve its governance, US Soccer should undergo a high-level, independent evaluation of the relationship of US Soccer, MLS and SUM. Such evaluation will no doubt be strongly resisted because in many respects US Soccer, MLS and SUM are one and the same. However, the mixing of business interests and non-profit sports governance is a recipe for disaster, as we have seen repeatedly in the soccer world in recent years. The business and non-profit functions currently under the umbrella of US Soccer should be clearly separated into completely separate organizations.

manfromgallifrey91 and smokarz repped this.
  4. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    Landon Donovan deeply considering a run at US soccer federation president according to Sports illustrated

Geneva repped this.
  5. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Good for Donovan. He actually might have a good shot of winning it. Truly need some soccer brains in there.

Cincy Liverpool fan and sXeWesley repped this.
  6. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More grist for the mill:

[​IMG]

Master O, CREN, CU soccer and 1 other person repped this.
  7. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    These resignation letters shouldn't be sent to Sunil as I have no confidence that he'll actually do the honorable thing and resign. They need to be sent to a) key stakeholders (e.g. major sponsors, broadcasting partners, youth organizations, domestic league executives, etc.), and b) anybody involved with the governance of US Soccer. They'll view the complaints as a proxy for general fan sentiment and you'll empower likeminded stakeholders to actually force Sunil's hand.

Master O repped this.
  8. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes

9. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is an *unpaid* position?

Oh don't worry about the economics professor who was Chuck Blazer's best friend, he has received plenty of financial compensation that would not have been possible without using his unpaid position to consolidate power, which of course is the point, who does Sunil serve? Like everyone else on the planet, whoever is paying him the most/

https://leastthing.blogspot.com/2017/09/nasl-and-jeffrey-kessler-take-on-us.html

There is a lot in there (a lot of dollars too), so let me summarize:
    • SUM was worth a reported $600 million in 2011.
    • SUM paid USSF $8.5 million in 2014 in annual guarantees
    • SUM paid an additional $18.3 million to USSF in 2015, implying a profit of $7.8 million retained by SUM (i.e., $18.3/0.7)
    There is more. According to the NY Post, MLS president Garber has a conflict of interest when it comes to SUM:
    According to US Soccer, Garber recused himself from voting on its financial arrangement with SUM, standard protocol for someone who has interests with both parties. It also appears that USSF president Sunil Gulati is a shareholder in SUM, because he reportedly also recuses himself from USSF discussions of SUM, based on what USSF told me in an interview for this article last year.

If that is the case then that would mean that both Garber and Gulati have a piece of the $600 million of equity (in 2011) represented by SUM. Just as interesting, some fraction of SUM's television rights packages were helped along by none other than the late Chuck Blazer, who was caught up in and helped to move along the US DOJ investigation into corruption among FIFA, CONCACAF and CONMEBOL officials.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/kenbensinger/how-much-do-you-make-sunil?utm_term=.unpPeM27y#.aiYR6dDOp

https://prorelforusa.blogspot.com/2017/10/sunil-gulatis-major-conflict-of.html

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2015/06/03/what-did-us-soccer-know-about-chuck-blazers-bribes/

He also makes money off of some other boards and councils he sits on, some random CONCACAF council paid him 50k one year, that council had one meeting, I can't find the link, but who cares anyway?

10. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    donovan has shown zero skills needed to run us soccer. I am not sure people understand what a tough/big job pres of us soccer really is.

11. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the 87th time, if it is such a big and tough job, why do we have a part timer in the position who has numerous other paid, full time positions elsewhere taking up his time and attention?

Literally anyone would be better than Sunil at this point, anyone and Donovan would be better than most.

adam tash repped this.
  12. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    literally anyone lol, come on donovan doesn't have a clue what it takes to run us soccer...thats why he isn't running.

wynalda doesn't have a clue either thats why he is making really broad trump like statements to try to get votes.

13. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #163 Semblance17, Oct 29, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    GULATI: U.S. EXPECTED TO QUALIFY FOR WORLD CUPS

This headline blew my mind and I was hoping it might have been taken out of context or skewed slightly. It only got worse when I read the article.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/gula...lify-for-world-cups/ujx7lhqwx6ha1tguj0dey94s1

"There is no guarantees that anybody makes the World Cup but we have got to a point that it is expected," Gulati told Goal at the Under-17 World Cup final. "It is good that expectations have risen, but we will look at all those things now and plan to make sure we are in Qatar."

"Listen, we went into the last game needing a draw against Trinidad and either of the other two games going against our favor. So the chances of all the three things happening at once were less than five percent," Gulati pointed out.

"Unfortunately, all three things happened and I am not going to pinpoint one particular reason. We did not play well enough in the last game and we dropped some points early. So in the end, it did not go our way."

[​IMG]

This man is hopelessly out of touch with reality, or at least pretending to be. The U.S. qualifying for the World Cup is not a new expectation; it's just an expectation that we haven't seen unfulfilled since the Reagan Administration. And especially considering how soft CONCACAF is relative to the rest of the world, it is the bare minimum that a Federation that is supposed to represent American exceptionalism should achieve. There's no sweeping this under the rug with an "oh well".

The attitude Gulati conveys with nearly every comment he makes is that excuses and optimism will make absolute catastrophes okay, and that the substantial and fundamental errors that players and leadership alike continue to make are isolated instances that we should minimize in significance if we even recognize them at all. That "those are the breaks" rationalization is the type of outlook that has left the USMNT facing the reality of watching every game of next summer's World Cup from home, and history may very well repeat itself in 2021 if it perpetuates under the leadership of Gulati or someone of equal incompetence.

By all indications, Gulati does not know the meaning of the word accountability [as applicable to himself], and he still has acknowledged in no way that he is ultimately responsible for helming a system that has produced the single greatest failure that the Federation can achieve. As important as tone at the top is, I have zero confidence in the leadership of such a person.

manfromgallifrey91 repped this.
  14. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    this isn't true really at all.

He isn't the Czar of soccer, he didn't tell Bruce Arena to not prepare for the most important match of the cycle. They didn't qualify but fact is he is still the best option going forward as US Soccer president and just needs to help make the changes that need to be made on the soccer side. Businesswise us soccer has never been better.

its a very modern sports thing to say 'they lost fire everyone' but that is just a silly overreaction to what actually needs to happen. People need to understand that you can't ask for accountability and when the person you want it from starts to tell you what happened you can't yell 'don't make excuses'...well if you don't want to know what happened don't ask lol.

what people don't even seem to realize that is even if they did qualify they were more then likely to get a Bruce Arena type last place finish anyway.

Sunil is the answer and its not even in doubt, the election of someone like wynalda with his 'plan' would not only lead to the us missing the WC in four years(which is a possibility), but perhaps the end of soccer as a major sport in our country. His initial plan would incur such losses to us soccer that it would likely be bankrupt before the next WC even occurs.

sXeWesley and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  15. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #165 TOAzer, Oct 29, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    Hilarity, thy name is "A New Fan". I remember a time when a New Super Fan walked this Earth, a (then younger) third rate economist-- but always a 1st rate Lackey of Crony Capitalists wannabe-- who strode over the USSoccer landscape like the shadow of a pygmy at twilight. Between Chicago House and Blazer he had a sweet gig, and his Pizza joint was always respected.
    [1] So now you come to BS, to tell us that you are not only a SuperFan but also just the one that will "make the changes that need to be made on the soccer side".... Isn't it enough that you wasted more than a decade pursuing, and then foisting on us, your beloved idiot, Herr Juergen Schaftmann? Now you want to do to all of soccer in this country what he did to the USMNT? Impressive.
    [2] Businesswise us soccer has never been better because people who actually care for and understand the sport built a program we could be proud of, which would be the foundation for the future, and then along came SuperFan to exploit and enrich folks like SuperFan.... banking that what others had built couldn't be utterly squandered. It'll be interesting to see what US Soccer [not MLS, I mean Mr. Gulati's Soccer] will be thinking of business as the reality of how poorly cared for the national team has been, and how badly it has decayed from the heights of 1999-2005, is made apparent to those who support the game in this country.
    [3] In a post of deep hilarity, this piece is the most guffaw inducing of all. You see, "A New SuperFan", accountability means taking responsibility for what has occurred under your say . When the Captain of the Ship refuses to be held accountable, and hide's in the stateroom blabbering on how that dastardly first mate is the one at fault, or maybe that second mate, or maybe the drunken cook who was dragged into the wheelhouse to pilot the ship through the shoals of Concacaf, or...... well, then, those who are to hold him accountable had better starting yelling "don't make excuses". You see, "A New SuperFan", the problem is that you refuse to understand this simple prime directive: You are responsible for the consequences of your actions, for your choices, and accountability lies exactly in being truthful and in accepting your responsibility.
    [4] Perhaps, or a Bruce type QuarterFinal. We'll never know. But we do know exactly what it means for us to be mired in a "Sunil Gulati type of leading US Soccer to a nadir where the era of 1999-2005 stands in relief like the Garden of Eden above the dark plains to the East . In short, "A New SuperFan", the golden era of the sport in this country, at least at the national level, has been completely laid to waste. You must be so proud of all that "good business".
    [5] If the question is "How to Bury US Soccer?", then, yes, and this is on you, Sunil is the One. Hey, if JK wasn't able to completely ruin the game in this country, who say's, just for you, Gulati can't? As for "StrawMan Wynalda", the Goldstein to "A New SuperFan" 's Big Brother, well by all means let's gather at Chicago House and have our two minutes of hate. If that doesn't make us love Sunil, what will, eh?

russ, manfromgallifrey91 and sXeWesley repped this.
  16. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    lol I guess I will give a long reply to help you out lol.

(1)not sure that was a coherent thought, you confused ur pronouns a lot. It went from you to he? I will ask this what did 'he' do to the national team? I mean did he pick the players/lineups/tactics? did he tell bruce to make zero changes to lineup/tactics between panama and t&t? answer is no so he didn't actually do anything to the national team.
    (2)that is one of my fav arguments of all time. when you decide something has failed..you pick the highest up to be fired...even thought hey only failed in one place. I mean business is great..women won the WC...youth teams have improved...usmnt failed to qualify in large part of issues that were present before he arrived. Back to the argument I love....'president sucks fire him'....'well like 9/10 things are better since he's taken over'....'yeah but that 1/10 is unacceptable and the 9 things that are better...everyone else is responsible for that not him'. I love it...he was in charge...if he gets the blame for the USMNT...which he isn't directly involved in then he should get credit for the things he is involved in.
    (3)he is responsible for the good and the bad yes...but you don't just change things to say 'hey we changed it everything is ok now'. I mean what are the other options? Wynalda whose got his trumpian 'oh I'll hire the best people to work under me you'll see' and his I will cut revenue drastically and raise costs even more drastically...yeah that will work for a few years until us soccer is bankrupt.
    (4)no we do know they would've been terrible in the WC...watch the matches...watch who they beat and who they lose to...they would've been terrible.
    (5) thats my point your hate is so misguided you don't care about fixing anything...you just want to have people. Anyone who thinks JK ruined us soccer is dumb. If he ruined it then why are people all asking the questions he tried to ask for years. Why are people talking about pro/rel...like he asked years ago. Why are they questioning mls....he did that years ago and people said he should play nice with garber/mls.

17. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I repped this for balls.

This has to be the best satire in this thread if not all time on BS.

russ repped this.
  18. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a reminder that this thread started well before the debacle in T&T and there was more than enough reason to oust Sunil at that time.

Cannot fing believe that we are not only still debating whether or not to keep him on, but now people are so gullible that they are willing to back Cordeiro as an agent of "change".

I suppose the old maxim is true, we get the leaders we deserve.

adam tash and TOAzer repped this.
  19. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL... It wasn't a confusion of pronouns. It was, as would have been clear to a clear wit, the suggestion that "A New [ Super] Fan", and "A New Fan" have an uncanny resemblance to each other. As you say...LOL....
    As for the rest of your reply....Well,it is a very uncanny resemblance.....;)

20. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    by uncanny you mean that a long time fan like myself( I mean you can clearly see I joined the site in 2006)....could laugh at a newbie like urself...you joining 10 years later.

but I enjoy the lack of knowledge and sarcasm that you think makes up for it.

21. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, a New & Super Fan, you joined BS in 2006. It was the year that JK Love bloomed among a certain subset of economists in Morningside heights. By now, clearly, you have a 10 year head start in being practiced on BS ----although it is laughable you confuse that practice with knowledge....... :coffee:

22. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    this is the only account I've had grow up or just move on. Immaturity is not something that impresses me or anyone else here kiddo. Be an adult.

I do have a lot more knowledge about a lot of things then you but just get over it keep the first grade comments at home with ur mother this board is about soccer not ur feelings.

24. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to know more about Sunil/Garber and....Chuck Blazer.

They used to praise that criminal. I've also heard Sunil's phones were tapped by the FBI during the investigation.

What if Sunil/Garber became informants and received immunity from MLS/USSF/SUM corruption in return?

sXeWesley and russ repped this.
  25. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Careful,you may upset Suni...I mean , a new fan.

TOAzer repped this.