The Official Fabio Coentrao to Real Mendes.....Errr....Madrid Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Shay Z, Jul 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    [​IMG]

30 Million. Six years.

Jorge Mendes strikes again.

edit: Crap, i forgot to make a super fantastic fun time poll. Would a mod please add one.

2. MadridOzil

MadridOzil Member+

Jun 6, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  3. mymy33

mymy33 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    I'll just repeat what I said in the transfer thread:

So welcome Blondie and good luck :D

4. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    He wears a white adidas shirt and he got his hair done for this! Awesome.

5. mymy33

mymy33 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    The hair is beyond stupid, simply ridiculous.

6. babai_here

babai_here Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Kolkata
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Welcome to the club Fabio and good luck :)

7. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    All Fabios have great hair.

[​IMG]

8. Anon.

Anon. Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    A poll would be welcomed, I already know the type of answer I'm going to pick :(

9. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    ...so we've given Benfica 55 million in 2 years..those slick bastards :p

10. raven3k

raven3k Member+

May 31, 2007
    Madrista land
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Welcome to the Club Fabio. Last player called Fabio won the La Liga and was the WPOY.

So let's hope you can give your best and hope you have all the luck in the world to succeed.

I watched that welcome to Real Madrid Coentrao youtube video, he looks very agile and can move past players with ease.

Looking forward to seeing him live in the UK.

11. JRisAGalactico

Mar 10, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    if we end up signing Neymar after this guy, we're going to have to sign a pair of scissors too.

12. realmadrid my heart

Oct 16, 2007
    hey! This is the greatest club ever, so we need you to show the world that you deserve to be here.

Welcome aboard Fabio

13. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that he's out of Benfica and at Madrid I can openly root for him. Welcome Fabulous Fab and I'm looking forward to seeing how Jose utilizes your skillz.

14. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We got Carole a French youngster LWB we will sell him in a few years for at least 15M.

Anyone else you guys like :D

Fabio is my favourite player so hope it works out.

ENJOY!

15. RMSocrates

RMSocrates Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Same here, hope he is used all over the field. Welcome Fabio and hope you turn out like the last guy we got from your team:D

16. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    I think our LB/LWB position is covered for the next 10 years :p

17. Realmadrid43v3r

Jul 20, 2009
    Virginia
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Not too excited, hope he will start playing as a RB.

18. demogorgon

demogorgon Member

Jul 18, 2006
    The only way this transfer makes sense is if we also keep Garay and Mou makes a switch to 3-5-2 formation :D.

Something like this:

--------------------------Casillas-------------------------------
    -------------Ramos--------Pepe------------Carvalho-----------
    Di Maria/Coentrao----Xabi-------Sahin----------Marcelo/Coentrao
    --------------------------Ozil-----------------------------------
    ----------------Ronaldo------------Higuain/Benzema------------

In this case we should keep Garay as a sub (along with Varane) for three CB's. Arbeloa could also play there if necessary.

Pure win :cool::D.

19. Halycon

Halycon Member+

Aug 24, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I sense three major points for people being uncomfortable with this signing.

1. The fee - Yes its very high but he s rated that highly not just by us but a host of other european clubs all of whom would have comfortably paid that amount for him.

2. We already have Marcelo so why him ? - Let me make one thing clear. Even when Marcelo was poor at defending I ve always stood with the belief that Marcelo will end up becoming the best attacking full back in the world. (at a time when quite a lot of real madrid fans I ve spoken to were considering the idea fancy)

And right now I believe marcelo has justified that statement of mine. But still why coentroa ? Well the reason is we almost always build up play with one of these 4 (Alonso, Ozil, Ronaldo, Marcelo) and team suffers very badly when Alonso and marcelo are missing. Ronaldo's absense doesnt really affect us as much despite his incredible performance levels. It makes us a little less dangerous in the final 3rd of the pitch but we don suffer loss of fluency of play.

To cut a long story short - we are doomed if marcelo picks up an injury and we don need an entire season where we squander trophies to barcelona to realize we need a back up for him. If we don win anything next year, barca will win all the trophies in front of them - As simple as that !

How many people really wanted Ozil when we had kaka and canales or how many people here really wanted ronaldo ? Just because we ve signed badly once in a while doesnt mean we have to hate the idea of signings even if we have good players. The idea is to be the best team in the world not one that has some great players and some good players. We ve given the manager what he wants for the first time, lets see how it goes.

3. Still why so much money for a back up ?? - Well I m sure coentrao has been spoken to about what the plans are for him at this club (back up to marcelo or right back or whatever it is ) . And if he has issued an ultimatum saying "Real madrid or nothing", obviously its something he feels will help him progress. Not like we were the only club out there. He could have easily gone to chelsea where he might even have earnt a better pay.

Welcome to the squad Coentrao - I wish you score/assist a crucial goal to help us overcome barca at a critical stage of the season.

The stuff that actually puzzles me is this - When are we going to start selling players ?!?!?!?!?! We are overflowing with players !!!!!!

20. libertao

libertao Member+

Mar 15, 2006
    It's been a summer of puzzle pieces so far rather than absolute upgrades to the starting XI (though Aguero wouldn't fit this theme) and although the price is high, we have the money and he potentially fits a host of needs. Also loved what he said about playing anywhere but GK for Mourinho.

21. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Top 10 most expensive defenders

Continue reading the main story
    1 - Rio Ferdinand £29.1m (Leeds United to Manchester United, 2002)
    2 - Fabio Coentrao £27m (Benfica to Real Madrid, 2011)
    3 - Pepe £25m (Porto to Real Madrid, 2007)
    4 - Daniel Alves £23.5m (Sevilla to Barcelona, 2008)
    5 - Dmytro Chygrynskiy £22.5m (Shakhtar Donetsk to Barcelona, 2009)
    =6 - Joleon Lescott £22m (Everton to Manchester City, 2009)
    =6 - Lilian Thuram £22m (Parma to Juventus, 2001)
    8 - David Luiz £21.3 (Benfica to Chelsea, 2011)
    9 - Alessandro Nesta £21m (Lazio to AC Milan, 2002)
    10 - Ricardo Carvalho £20m (Porto to Chelsea, 2004)

I know Joleon Lescott.

22. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    From his interview w Realmadrid.com (quick translation by yours truly):

You are going to have to compete with very good players to earn a spot on team, but that is good for a player's development...

That is good, especially for Real Madrid. Having quality players like Marcelo is good for any team. I am going to work hard to play and he will too. We will compete every week and the team will benefit from that.

Sounds like he is ready to go after that left fullback spot! :D

23. Cyrudan

Cyrudan Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Stay away from Marcelos spot >:[

24. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    To be honest I think that's the position Mourinho has signed him for, and where he will become the main starter (you don't buy a 30 mil sub) and if it's the case that one of the two will be moved up a position it would be Marcelo at the LM spot. But we'll see.

25. GRBomber

GRBomber Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Brasília - Brazil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That's got to be money laundering :eek: