The Official Eric Calvillo thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jan 20, 2018.

1. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Calvillo may end up playing mostly for Reno, but he's already played well for the Cosmos so he's already established himself as being able to handle that level (both Cosmos and Reno being division two) and will hopefully at least get some minutes at the MLS level to see if he's ready for it.

Tom Szabo repped this.
  2. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great, he's going to play in a league where most of the players are 139 lbs. :p

3. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    "You're five foot nothin. A hundred and nothin. And you have barely a speck of athletic ability." -- Rudy

4. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Calvillo and Mfeca in the midfield for Reno would be tremendous. Neither one is big, but both are extremely technical and fantastic on the ball.

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #31 falvo, Jan 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    Diego Maradona was 5’ 5 I believe. MLS coaches and GM’s just don’t like signing smaller players.

Chris Dangerfield told me just the other night that the league won’t sign , groom or even look at shorter players and they traditionally look for bigger sized players. I personally don’t understand why but that is the norm.

6. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's because Don Garber is Randy Newman in disguise. Hates short people but loves L.A. :)

markmcf8, Cornballer, bsman and 4 others repped this.
  7. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never made any comment about Calvillo's ability, or potential to do well in MLS. I just pointed out he was of slight build.;)

8. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Okay, Dan Devine. :)

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    As opposed to most rookies , at least he has pro experience. Has anyone seen him play with the Cosmos?

10. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Since he is supposed to have started the NASL title game against the Deltas at Kezar Stadium, yes.

11. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I take it that he didn't necessarily leave an impression on you. :)

12. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You don't want me scouting. :)

Seriously, though, I was not focused on particular players for either club during the game. So, you really should not take anything from my comment.

13. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're getting serious about the US Open Cup?

markmcf8 repped this.
  14. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This should be a tweet, :ROFLMAO::thumbsup:

15. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    That would be a good time to get guys playing time, but if you happen to have a bad game early, you're out, so there goes that. But sure, hope we have another good USOC run. Last year it led to the emergence of Jackson Yueill and Andrew Tarbell who would have otherwise probably barely have seen the field.

16. Tom Szabo

Tom Szabo Member

Dec 31, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Chris Dangerfield doesn't know shit apparently. The league just signed Barco for $12 million (or is it $15 million?) and this kid is 5'6". Also there is some guy named Giovinco who I heard is doing okay in MLS.

17. Tom Szabo

Tom Szabo Member

Dec 31, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It is very encouraging that Jesse is following the winning player evaluation strategy of picking guys who (1) understand the game and (2) have a skill set that can translate to a particular position. These are key criteria for filtering talent among the world's best scouts. Of course it doesn't mean every player selected will succeed, but the odds are better and the ceiling is higher. Also the team with this type of player will play a more entertaining form of soccer.

markmcf8 repped this.
  18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They are foreigners. He was talking about domestic players and traditionally or since 1996, I think he is right.

19. Tom Szabo

Tom Szabo Member

Dec 31, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Calvillo could end up having as much quality as Gonzalez and possibly has an even higher development trajectory. I really like this signing, it shows the Quakes are doing quality scouting and finding high ceiling players to take a chance on. If Fioranelli was around in 2014, I wonder if the Quakes might not have snagged Gonzalez instead of him being scouted at a U.S. showcase by a Mexican team.

20. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Regarding Chris Dangerfield, that should have been crystal clear long before his latest comments on player size.

2. Joao Plata was the best player (IMO from watching the games, and led the combine in goals scored) at the 2011 MLS combine, yet fell to the 49th pick in the 2011 MLS SuperDraft because dumba$$ MLS teams were scared off by his size (he's gotta be 5'6" at most)... in 2017 RSL signed him to a multi-year contract as a DP.

alexiskool1991 repped this.
  21. Tom Szabo

Tom Szabo Member

Dec 31, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't know how to answer that, nor would I want to.

RocktheCasbah4, JazzyJ and don gagliardi repped this.
  22. Tom Szabo

Tom Szabo Member

Dec 31, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Plata is barely 5'3" (and he's grown an inch or two since 2011). He was a virtual unknown to MLS teams as he didn't enter the draft through college. That said, it's crazy he was picked 49th. Even the MLSsoccer staff apparently know soccer better than MLS coaches as they had him going #7 which is probably fair (https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2011/01/12/2011-mls-superdraft-first-round-mock-draft).

RocktheCasbah4 and xbhaskarx repped this.
  23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    How many domestic players can anyone name who have shined in San Jose or MLS under 5’8? I’m betting very few and I can’t name any college draft picks and national team players in the last ten years.

24. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Greatest USMNT ever, 5'7.8". Amazing what you can find when you're willing to forgive that extra 0.2".

[​IMG]

RocktheCasbah4, xbhaskarx and bsman repped this.