The Official David Bingham thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Feb 1, 2011.

1. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    alexiskool1991 repped this.
  3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    #1078 JazzyJ, Feb 26, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    “To be fair, it’s more than just a lack of [respect]. If you’ve never done it before, it’s a learning curve, and some people don’t understand that.”

Funny how Bings uses the "to be fair", and you think he's going to soften his stance a bit, but then he turns around and uses it to double or triple down. Not only do they not treat you with respect, they have no idea what they're doing, and they don't understand that they have no idea what they're doing! :)

4. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So long as the defensive players ahead of the keeper are improved, I'm not going to worry too much over some deficiencies in Tarbell's game. He's a good shot stopper, like you said, and that's my main concern. Secondary concern is how well he distributes the ball/assists the defenders in making himself available for pressure relief. I'm happy to have seen his distribution improve during preseason. If he can improve there, he can improve in other areas. He's still young enough that he can grow a great deal as an overall player.

But, if he doesn't manage to be an obvious choice for first goalkeeper, I'd be happy to see one of the other guys get a chance, too. Goalkeeper is never a position I spend much time worrying about. You want someone who is competent, of course, but the team has much bigger issues to focus on with more concern. It looks like they've done a decent job at that as well from what little evidence we have.

5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Worse, Bingham himself makes the case for his benching. If we credit that there is a learning curve to goalkeeping, all the more justification to have given a half season of starts to Tarbell last year so that he's not thrown in cold at the beginning of this season.

As I recall, Busch was shortsightedly given starts in the latter part of the lost 2014 season under Mark Watson, resulting in Bingham being less than ready in an early away match at Dallas in 2015.

alexiskool1991 and JazzyJ repped this.
  6. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I could definitely see Dawkins, Cato, and Ceren having issues with what happened, opening themselves up for being traded. Francis was traded a while ago, so it's hard to say there. Urena didn't play for Kinnear very long and was simply left open in the expansion draft in order to protect Hoesen. They didn't actively trade him and it seems like a bit of a stretch to think he could have built up that much animosity in a single season. Maybe he could, but that situation doesn't seem that way to me.

In any case, for us, it ultimately doesn't matter how or why players leave the team. Players with always come and go. Dealing with team management is never pretty for players, and I have empathy for them trying to negotiate the best contracts and situations for themselves. I also have sympathy for players who are unhappy with the direction of the team they play for. Having worked for companies where I strongly disagreed with the direction but had little or nothing in the way of influence over that direction, it can be incredibly frustrating.

That all said, from a competitive standpoint, I think the team is in a much better position than they were in 2017 and hopefully that will lead to happier players as well.

markmcf8 repped this.
  7. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Bingham's continued rants to the press are not going to increase his market price...

SoccerIsOurLife and markmcf8 repped this.
  8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Unlike Wondo who is a goalscorer , the bottom line is Bingham is a GK and his position is a done a dozen. They can get almost the same thing as David is doing free of charge with Tarbell. In s league that is so strict with its cap rules, why would the Quakes need pay a veteran player what he wants? I’m sure the separation from the managements perspective was justified. Also, I haven’t see 31,000 fans show up to a came since LA brought Jorge Campos I’m 1996. Time to move on....

9. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish that we had worked things out better with Bings. I think he's a great keeper, and I expect him to get back into the US Nats picture.

But, what's done is done. It's Andrew's show now and we have to hope that he's up to the job.

I do wish that Bings would stop whining in the press. We get it already. You felt hard done by the FO. Life suck, then you get a new job.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Although I like him as a GK, as far as the national team is concerned and by the next World Cup (if the US makes it) , Bingham will be pushing 32.

That is still fairly young for a GK but I think whomever the new USMNT regime is or will be, may most likely want to start looking at younger players. Sadly, four years is a lifetime in this sport....

11. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow.

Those guys did not like Bings, at all. Don't know him personally, but he is a good 'keeper. I guess this season will show us what he's made of.

Also, those guys all like Dom Kinnear. Now I'm sure he's a nice guy, and I'm sure many of the players liked him, but he was a terrible coach over the last three seasons. Their assumption that the Quakes would have made the playoffs under Dom is not supported by any facts. We just barely squeezed in as it was, no telling if Dom could have gotten a better or worse performance out of the guys.

And defending Kinnear like he was a great coach? That's just absurd. He should have been sacked at the end of last season, even before they hired Jesse. The first day after our season ended they should have announced the Dom was gone.

So, this leads me to think that I don't necessarily believe what these analysts are saying. I disagree with their views on a couple of crucial bits, so ... doesn't give me much faith in their other views either.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

12. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #1087 JazzyJ, Feb 27, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    I would not put too much stock into what these guys say. They are just hacks like the rest of us, and two of them wrote columns, one quite lengthy, about why the Quakes would not and should not buy out Dawkins. When I started writing counter-arguments to the one guy he got real snippy and started falsely accusing me of downvoting his posts and tried to lecture me on the proper use of the term "contradiction" when I had used it properly and do not need the lecture.

So I'm not really interested in reading his articles or listening to his podcasts anymore. I like the other podcast, "Quakes After 90", because it's just guys sitting around BS'ing, they don't take themselves too seriously - they have a good sense of humor, and they have a diversity of opinions. And no one is trying to pass himself off as an expert.

tenfourteen and markmcf8 repped this.
  13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Bingham had an attitude in college at CAL as well.

14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So, stick to drafting Stanford guys? :)

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Cal's players in MLS succeed more. Stanford guys win College Cups....

16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You mean, like Jordan Morris winning an MLS Cup as a rookie? Or Adam Jahn defeating Atlanta in the playoffs?

alexiskool1991 and bsman repped this.
  17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah there is two... Cal more GK's...

18. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Todd Dunivant won a few MLS cups with both the Quakes and Galaxy, and Roger Levesque had a bit of success in the pros as well. Then, in terms of GKs, there's always Tim Hanley...

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Kevin Grimes has actually had some good GK’s for a school that never won anything. There was Saunders , Frei , Bingham and even though he went to Europe (albeit as a token player) Klinsmann. That is a pretty good bunch all in the last 10-15 years....

Bingham has even been teamed up with his college sweeper and husband of (former Cal women’s WC player) Alex Morgan, Servando Carrasco.

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1095 falvo, Apr 7, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    Just thinking it over, because David Bingham is now teammates with Zlatan Ibrahimovic and the Dos Santos brothers, he has gone from being a no name or average player to an almost superstar.

I’m not saying he is world class Gk but just being the starting keeper with those guys, he will now be more regarded not only as an MLS starter, but maybe other clubs around the world will start to take notice as he is the Gals starter.

Whether he achieves superstar status or not remains to be seen but he now has an opportunity to shine among other stars. He will have never had that chance had he remained in San Jose. To tell the absolute truth, I think he is pretty fortunate.

21. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Falvo, I think all the pundits I listen to are saying that Bingham is on a short leash. Bingham is responding poorly to the pressure, and it’s just a matter of the Galaxy finding a replacement.

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Really? Wow I didn’t know that. He did give up three goals to LAFC last week but I’m not sure if that is a reflection on him or the defense. Sigi has had great Gk’s through the years so maybe he won’t put up with certain blunders. I guess the ball is in his court.

23. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea why they're still starting Steres ahead of Hillard Arce, Steres is just purely awful. LAFC beat him like a rented mule.

Im not sure LA would even look very far if Bingham were benched (i havent heard about the short leash thing, i question it given LA went out to go get him in the trade), they got highly rated young GK Vom Steeg on the bench.

24. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #1099 JazzyJ, Apr 7, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    OK, I'm going to go way out on a limb here and propose that Bing's current status is somewhere between falvo's Zlatan-infused "superstar" status and mjlee's "short leash". :)

DotMPP, mjlee22 and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  25. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    When Beckham was here, who was LA’s keeper? Did he become a superstar and was then sold off?