The Official David Bingham thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Feb 1, 2011.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I also believe along with the guaranteed GA deal, the players get a minimum MLS salary. At least that was what Bingham got from what I heard. David was getting more sitting on his tail behind Busch than many starters were getting.

2. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I would be extremely surprised if they didn't know about. With some of his poorer performances, the first thing I would have asked him were I in the position would be "Are you feeling okay?" It's not very hard to determine when a player is playing through pain or not. It's negligence at best.

I don't understand where you are going with the whole thing about being given an opportunity that he should be thankful for. Of course he should be thankful he was in a position to play. Otherwise why would he be a professional athlete? That doesn't negate the fact that the team used him for reasons other than him being a goalkeeper, and that nefarious attitude shouldn't be glossed over.

You don't seem to be interested in the point I was making, so I have to ask, what is your point?

3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    You are making unsubstantiated, serious allegations that the team put his health at risk. I am responding to your suggestion that he "got screwed". No, he didn't get "screwed", he got a great opportunity. And I'd be willing to bet that he was quite happy, if not ecstatic, about being given a bunch of starts at the end of last season.

4. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Given what we've all learned about cover ups with health issues regarding pro athletes over the course of the years, would you really be surprised if it were true? As I said, it is, or should be, someone's job on the team to detect health issues with players. A sports hernia, of all things, shouldn't be particularly difficult to detect in goalkeepers considering the range of motion they go through during training and in games. Do you really believe nobody noticed there was something wrong while observing his performances?

Maybe they didn't know, but I think assuming that is naïve. I'd rather assume they are not acting in good faith and find out I'm wrong than just sweep it under the rug and assume all is well with how players are treated.

5. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Maybe we should launch an investigation into The Great Andrew Tarbell Sports Hernia Coverup!

There was nothing in Tarbell's performance to necessarily suggest that he had a sports hernia, especially after that monster game in Vancouver (2nd to last game of the regular season?) where he literally saved the Quakes season by making great save after great save. Should we also suspect that Bingham had a sports hernia, and that's why his performance declined?

6. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Appoint a special counsel so we can ensure leaks to the media. :)

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Why so defensive? I’m saying Tarbell is making a lot more than you think he is so don’t think he is being “screwed in his salary”!

8. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Really? This is the first I've heard of such a thing. Does this $2000 per game show up in the players union salary figures, or is it above and beyond those figures?

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1009 falvo, Jan 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    I'm not sure and can't confirm how true it is but that was what I heard from some former players. I knew some players made bonus money for preseason games too. I don't believe the figures are included in the salary caps. Across a 34 game season, I don't believe the bonus money amounts to more than $1 million for a game day squad of 18 total players....

10. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Are you sure that is accurate? I think it’s a lot more than that. My friends played during the WSL and APSL almost 30 years ago and they made that much. Again maybe I’m wrong but I heard the bonus money is a lot more.

12. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted the link.

DotMPP repped this.
  13. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    From the posted article (https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/in...er-bonuses-mls-cup-us-open-cup-details-020416):
    "Although individual player bonuses are determined by each player contract, collective bonuses are included in the CBA."

Your information may be correct. Players can get bonuses for appearing in matches or making the game day 18 or other things, if their contracts include them; above and beyond the $7500 collective bonus for winning regular season matches.

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1014 falvo, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    I still think they are getting money no one is talking about or knows. I also don't think this MLS is telling the whole truth or at least they don’t reveal certain things. Players are getting other bonus money that none of us know or would even begin to believe. MLS may be unique unlike Europe where lower division players are getting money under the table. Maybe that isn't happening here as much but none of us know really how much these players are getting paid. I know they get money from shoe sponsors and other things that are not counted against the cap, especially the starters.

Eric Wynalda for example told me he was getting $500,000 a year from Nike. That wasn't included in the salary cap figures , especially during the years of 1996-1998. That was 20 years ago and even though I think Wondo is underpaid for what he has done, I'm betting he gets another million for wearing whichever shoes he wears. Either way the point is, whichever way you spin it, Andrew Tarbell, is not hurting or "getting screwed" in his salary. Should he get more? Of course he should but that can be said of many players across the league.

15. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    There are (or at least were) a lot of other opportunities for lower-paid players to build up their paydays, including appearance fees, etc. I recall that during the old days, a lot of the lower-paid players were ubiquitous - appearing for virtually every public Earthquakes/Clash event - and was informed by a number of players that this was a way to earn extra income from the club. They can (and frequently do) also coach youth teams, train players, etc.

16. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't care to discuss this any further. If you think the Quakes acted in good faith with Tarbell and Bingham, that's fine. I don't think they did and based on what we've learned about how MLS operates as a whole with regard to almost every aspect of its business, trusting the league and team to do the right thing is a pretty foolish thing to do. We literally all witnessed Marvell Wynne get the finger from the league due to a heart condition that was out of his control. These kinds of problems are systemic more often than not.

Given the general animosity toward the front office's dealings around here more generally, it's humorous and disconcerting to me that this is something that is being taken at face value.

17. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #1017 JazzyJ, Jan 10, 2018
    We're talking about Tarbell getting "screwed", not Bingham. The most likely thing that occurred regarding Tarbell and his sports hernia is that he had some discomfort but didn't discuss it until after the end of the season for fear of losing his chance to play last year, which was a great opportunity for him. So, no, Andrew did not get "screwed" by the team last year. On the contrary he was given a great opportunity to take the reigns.

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not sure what the big deal or where the argument is? Seriously, we all know most MLS players are underpaid. I personally think Tarbell's salary is in line with most other GK's across the league other than Tim Howard. The age of 24 is fairly young for a GK but he is only a second year player and has not really established himself yet so hopefully he has a long way to go. I'm sure his salary will rise when he gets more opportunities. As far as Bingham is concerned, I think he is coming out pretty sweet on the deal.

19. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I believe this is still the case based on what I've heard.

20. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Contracts on the side with Nike or other sponsors are completely separate. No way does or should MLS include these in 'salary cap' numbers. Those are contracts between the player and the sponsor, not the player and MLS!

But if all players are paid game day bonuses and THAT money isn't reported in the players union salary numbers, or the salary cap...that's another story. That is money coming from MLS. I don't think it's illegal or immoral in any way, but just points to how non-transparent MLS is. Of course, this assumes that MLS isn't paying CASH bonuses that aren't reported to IRS, but they'd be INSANE if they were doing that! I'm not going to assume they are that stupid.

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    How many times have we read this?

As MLS reserves it’s right, terms of the contract agreement are not disclosed......

22. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think these numbers could also be included in sponsorship deals. Where i.e. Adidas agrees to pay these extra non-league disclosed payouts as a part of their sponsorship contract with the league. Where then they would pay a player for appearance/performance reasons.

23. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was referring to the MLS tactic of benching a player in the last year of his contract, so that other teams can’t scout him, and thereby lessen his bargaining power. I assume that was part of the reason for benching Bingham. DCU did the same thing to Bill Hamid.

People can say it’s part of the game, but to me it is completely unethical.

ChalupaBatman4 repped this.
  24. Tom Szabo

Tom Szabo Member

Dec 31, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That makes very little sense. So teams are willing to torpedo results in order to bargain down the new contract of a valuable player??? o_O Also if there is a chance you are going to trade a player, you want the value to be higher, not lower. :thumbsup:

alexiskool1991 and JazzyJ repped this.
  25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1025 falvo, Jan 10, 2018
    Since the advent of the salary cap, I've seen the NFL do the same thing with Pro Bowlers and even All Pro and/or MVP’s in a matter of months. Starters went from starting in Super Bowls to being out of the game in some cases. Some excuses given were age but many others were production but it’s still had do do with higher salaries. Shaun Alexander was one that I recall.

MLS is unlike any other league though. The salary cap diminishes a player's worth and role and for this reason its unique. When you only have $3 million dollars divided among 25 players doing the math, there is only so much money to throw around.Thus the position of GK for example, becomes expendable. Maybe if there was no cap or if it was higher, Bingham would still be here and the club would have given him what he wanted.