The Official 2019 US Men's Draft Organization Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by TheFalseNine, Dec 31, 2018.

1. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All right everyone, we have 12 teams so this will be our draft organization thread. Here we can hash out the rules, determine the draft order, figure out when we want to start, etc. Coming up with fun and/or utterly ridiculous team names is HIGHLY encouraged and will be praised and/or mocked accordingly. :DThe teams are as follows:

@zlebmada
    @Matthew Hartman
    @ShaftBrewer
    @Eleven Bravo
    @truefan420 and @GiallorossiYank
    @thedukeofsoccer
    @Kevin8833
    @ChuckMe92
    @Lookingforleftbacks
    @AutoPenalti
    @CreightonMCFCjoey
    @jond

If anyone else is still interested, PM me and we can work out a co-management arrangement. First draft of the rules will be posted TODAY, so BOLO for that. Gonna be a lot of fun, guys!

@bungadiri, can you sticky this thread please? Thanks!

2. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    - I'm going with Bald Eagle-men again
    - The draft should start the draft soon because it's the holidays and plans may change if you wait months.
    - Ideally it'd be done before Camp Cupcake starts because you could see stocks go up then under the new manager. Also shouldn't want to be too deep into the Bundesliga 2nd half because there are some players at a crossroads.
    - Would like to see a delay until evaluation days. Maybe late March-early April. Some significant movement should happen by then. MLS' season will be well underway and we'll get a set of non Cupcake friendlies. Don't want to wait too long so people lose interest, but do want to wait otherwise the criteria is hype more than reality.

ChuckMe92 and TheFalseNine repped this.
  3. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should say that I have received one request from a team owner to start in late January. I'm thinking that may be when we start. Maybe after our January friendlies?

4. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, here's what I have for the rules so far. I borrowed heavily from previous iterations:

DRAFT RULES:

1. The draft clock starts at 9:00 AM Central time on ??, ?? 2019. It will consist of an 18-round, snake-style draft where teams MUST select 2 (two) goalkeepers.

2. Players MUST be eligible for the US Men’s National Team on the day the draft begins. This would make ineligible any player who would still need to file a one-time switch with FIFA and/or receive a passport or citizenship. Any disputes will be resolved by the draft organizer, TheFalseNine.

3. Players may only be drafted once, i.e. not every team can draft Christian Pulisic.

4. Game will consist of 10 (ten) teams. Teams may be managed singly or with a partner.

5. 8 (eight) hour time limit per selection in each round. (MAYBE LESS TIME IN LATER ROUNDS, SAY 6 HOURS FROM ROUNDS 12-18?; OTHER IDEAS TO SPEED THINGS ALONG?)

6. Please be courteous and try to pick as quickly as possible. Also, know the point of having a partner is to speed the draft up, not slow it down. Discuss your picks before it is your turn. Reasons for the amount of time allotted for drafting is not for discussion, it is meant to be used for work, sleep, family, etc. Again, please have a good idea who you want to pick before it is your turn. Plan out a handful of acceptable options before your turn.

7. If you miss your time limit, you can still pick after your time has expired, even after other teams have picked.

8. If for any reason a team has missed their 8-hour time limit, that team will have all subsequent rounds reduced by 2 hours. So, for the first violation, all subsequent rounds are 6 hours for that team. For a second violation, all subsequent rounds are 4 hours. Minimum time limit cannot fall below 4 hours (i.e. after 2 time limit violations.)

9. If for any reason a team has missed their time limit 2 (two) times, it will go to a discussion of the other teams to possibly remove the player(s) from the draft or discuss another possible alternative to ensure the draft is not held hostage by any one team. If you are aware you may violate this rule, please be courteous and disclose it. I might be able to find a fill-in or a replacement for you.

10. If you are not going to be around your phone or a computer for your pick, you can send your selection to whomever drafts after you and they can post your pick and theirs at the same time. Again, this is meant to help make sure the draft is moved through quickly and does not stall out.

11. Rather than just posting “I select _______”, try to provide some information on your player including pictures/videos/GIFs/tactical analyses/whatever you can find to educate the community as to why you took him and what position you think he will play on your team. The more information the better and more fun!

12. Please do not use rule #11 as an excuse to delay your pick. We welcome you to post these player profiles in the discussion thread at a later time. It’s more courteous to go ahead and pick your player than delay the draft.

13. After you pick YOU MUST NOTIFY THE NEXT PERSON DRAFTING! You can do this by tagging them in your draft pick post (typing “@” and then their BigSoccer username), or by initiating a private conversation with them.

14. The Picks thread will be used ONLY for selecting players. ALL discussion must go into the separate discussion thread.

15. ABSOLUTELY no posting about or discussion of players who “should” have been selected instead or players or who have not been drafted yet.

16. Let’s try to keep things friendly. No mocking of selections during the draft.

17. NEED TO FIGURE OUT THE SCHEDULE AND FORMAT OF OUR VOTING TOURNAMENTS. I NEED YOUR INPUT HERE, PEOPLE!!!

18. DO WE WANT TO DO SUPPLEMENTAL DRAFT AND TRADES? NEED INPUT HERE AS WELL!

19. On injured players: You can select an injured player in the draft. However, if the player has a serious injury (such as a torn ACL or broken bone), this may hurt you in crafting your best XI (and thus hurt you in the voting). As a general rule of thumb, if the player is going to be out for more than 8 weeks, he’s going to be considered ineligible to field. If the player is only listed to be out for a month or less, the injury may be overlooked in fielding your XI. Ultimately though, it is the team’s responsibility to argue for his player, meaning beware that selecting an injured player may hurt your team’s chances to win the tournament(s).

20. If I have forgotten anything, please let me know!!

Eleven Bravo and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  5. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #5 ChuckMe92, Dec 31, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    So to be clear, someone like Efrain Alvarez would be eligible, as he is not provisionally tied (yet), is not required to file a one-time switch, and could theoretically be called up by the US right now? For what it's worth, there are guys provisionally tied by other nations who have expressed US interest and who I think have a better chance of being a US player one day than him. As Matt Hartman said on Twitter, either Alvarez is good enough for Mexico and represents their senior team, or he's not good enough for either nation's senior team.

Also, I second the notion we should start the draft soon. There's inevitably going to be less participation if we wait until a busier time of the year. Also, trying to correctly predict which players will break out and perform at a high level is part of the fun.

6. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct. Alvarez would be eligible for being drafted in our game.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  7. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about Monday, February 4th at 8 AM to start our draft? That's after the 2 January Camp friendlies.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  8. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’d say sooner... sometimes the fun is gauging those late round picks before the league starts.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  9. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need to draw a quick list of eligible vs ineligible players. I would have considered Alvarez ineligible because his last call up was with Mexico.

10. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember though, our rule is only that the player is ELIGIBLE for the USMNT. And Alvarez is still eligible. But by all means, if you want to come up with a quick list of players you think are ineligible, go for it! That's what this thread is for!

11. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus Ferreira is still ineligible, we know that for sure.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  12. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks good. I’ll add just some talking points but not meant to be sticking points.

I’m partial to 20 rounds, even 22 or 23 rounds...23rd player would have to be a third keeper.

This would make trading interesting; as we can have a rule that a team must have at least 18 players, including 2 keepers. So, if say I draft some stellar picks 19 & 20, I could trade them both for someone’s 17th pick. Just a thought.

I think a reversed two round snake draft in the summer would be good; especially since the players who get the early picks will be at a distinct advantage over others.

I like the idea of the reduced window for players going over the time window. Most are good about getting their picks in early but there are always a few that drag things out.

On the reduced window, any thoughts on extending bed time hours? My thought might be the reducing window be like a “yellow card” offense; which there might no reduction of a poster’s window if they’re in bed time hours and go over.

Can we just make a list of common players who are considered ineligible posted from the start. For instance: Neven Subotic, Giuseppe Rossi, etc to reduce time spent on players accidentally picking an ineligible player.

Excited. Thanks @TheFalseNine for putting this on. Having facilitated it in the past, I remember it being work!

13. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know. I just don't know if there's enough decent players to fill out a 20 or 23 man roster. Right now with 12 teams of 18 players, that's 216 players. I'm not sure we need to extend the draft past 18 rounds. And I really like that this draft (and the rosters) will mirror real-life gameday rosters of 18 players. But I'm willing to do what you guys want to do!

I really like the supplemental draft (and re-voting) in the summer. I think that would be a lot of fun for guys that break out, gain citizenship, file one-time switches, etc. Not sure if I'm as big a fan of trading, but I do like the supplemental draft. Maybe even 3 rounds, but if you draft 1 or 2 or 3 players, you have to drop a like number of players back into the pool to be redrafted.

I really like the bedtime window. Maybe something like "clock stops from 12 AM-8 AM Central time", something like that?

14. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @TheFalseNine I'm going to PM you my list of eligible vs ineligible players. I definitely have some questions about some players.

Please feel free to post if you want to share with the rest of the group. Personally, I think it's safe to just say hey, before we start, these players are common players some teams might think about and we'll go ahead and settle whether or not they're eligible. But that's your call if you do or don't want to publicize it.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  15. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I will publish it in the organization thread. I know other posters have more knowledge on player status than I do.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  16. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay everybody, I'm going to go ahead and make an executive decision here. The draft will commence on JANUARY 14TH, 2019 AT 9 AM CENTRAL TIME. I'll post the draft order soon.

17. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys, thanks to @Eleven Bravo and @ChuckMe92, I'm currently working on a comprehensive player eligibility list right now. Should be done and posted TONIGHT. Also, if anyone has an idea of how to generate the draft order randomly and fairly, I'm all eyes.

18. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Add Jesus Ferreira to your list:

Much better chance he'll play for US national teams than a lot of the players on the list, surely. He has talent and has waited out the process. That's very telling. Incidentally, it was confirmed by Doyle too that Ferreira would in all likelihood get his citizenship in Dec. It's January now.

As far as creating the draft order, just assign each team a #1-12, and then use a random # generator (off a Google search) with that pre-selected range. Winner gets 1st pick, then remove the # that was assigned to that team, move everybody down 1 in the order, and re-generate. Repeat until finished.

Hell, I could do it, if you'll entrust me to.

ChuckMe92 and TheFalseNine repped this.
  19. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go for it, Duke. Just post the final draft order in this thread. Thanks!

20. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eleven Bravo repped this.
  21. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn! So far down.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  22. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you guys had a chance to look over the rules? Any glaring mistakes or omissions? What do you all think about the mid-year supplemental draft and re-voting tournament? Up for it? Give me some feedback!

23. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just about everything looks good to me. One question I have is what happens if a player who is currently eligible to be drafted gets provisionally cap-tied by another nation before the tournament/voting starts. For a couple players, Efrain Alvarez and Malik Tillman, it will very likely happen in a matter of a few months. Is that team allowed to keep the player, or forced to drop but allowed another selection at that time, or forced to drop with no addition allowed? Perhaps this has already been discussed in previous years, but this is the first year I'm participating.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  24. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great, great question. @Mr Martin, has this issue come up in past years?