The Official 2019 US Men's Draft Game -- Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by TheFalseNine, Jan 7, 2019.

1. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    None of that would have helped me.

I was attending an awards banquet. And yes, my company won.

ChuckMe92 and Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  2. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    8 hour window has closed at 8:36am ET....

@truefan420 and @GiallorossiYank has been up since then...

@TheFalseNine

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  3. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    This is getting crazy can people just find a few minutes to get on and just post the name I get you’re busy but I’d rather someone just post their pick like “I pick __” than wait hours and hours to see a description and a picture.

ChuckMe92, zlebmada and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  4. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that's the issue. Many have done just what you said. They're unaware of the situation or they can't get away from the boardroom. That's why I wanted to start during the weekend.

5. zlebmada

zlebmada Member

United States
    Jan 16, 2018
    You wishing I would have started on the weekend has been noted. Appreciate the input.

6. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You didn't set the start date AFAIK.

Anyways, it's a problem that would have been run into eventually, but the draft logically and historically move faster during that portion of the week.

The last time this was done, it went pretty slow overall too. And some of the same suggestions were made to resolve it, like the text thing. But they didn't come to fruition.

zlebmada repped this.
  7. zlebmada

zlebmada Member

United States
    Jan 16, 2018
    Yeah for me the weekend is more complicated than the week, when I'm sitting in front of a computer literally all day. But whatever. If this takes three months, no skin off my back.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  8. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Idk about boardroom but I’m def busy. 4th quarter push might be over now but recruiting trying to start the year off strong. Plus on top of my job I’m being loaned to two other departments within my department to help because of my skillset and studying for exams. It’s a cluster ********.

9. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's keep the draft rolling by just skipping the person if they haven't picked once their eight hour time limit ends. That was the original rule, anyway, if I'm not mistaken. That person can chime in later at any time with their choice from the remaining players who haven't been selected.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  10. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sucks that I was on the clock during bedtime. Ah well.

11. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea I think we should put a pause on the clock during certain hours.

12. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    Things are starting to get interesting now with the last two picks Parks and Dest, both very high risk very high reward

13. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was sweating the few picks before Novakovich. There are a premium on attackers in these drafts, and I think he's going to take off under Gregg between his potential, versatility to play in the middle or out wide, and Berhalter's built-in respect of the Eredivisie. He was criminally under-used by Dave, at least after he moved to the Eredivisie.

14. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I took so long because I literally typed out a long reason why I was selecting Novakovich, then scrapped it and watched Novakovich and Amon videos for about 45 minutes before settling on Amon.

ChuckMe92 and AutoPenalti repped this.
  15. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for saving my computer screen. Because it would have been both picks then where my preference was taken immediately ahead.

Maybe Amon looks more impressive on highlights. Although I think they both look good because of dribbling ability. Amon may separate on perceived speed, but when you watch full games you can see Novakovich's is deceptive with him long-striding passed his opponents like a gazelle. He has better moves/tricks, and is extremely confident in his ability. Still needs to work on finished product somewhat, although I think that can be said of both. Let's hope from my perspective this was another example you should trust your first instinct. :D

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  16. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    I again was torn between two players, hopefully the second player falls to me although I highly doubt it. I LOVE Alex Mendez, but am very surprised to see him go so early, another high risk, high reward pick.

17. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was initially hoping to take Novakovich, but decided to reach for Mendez because I wanted him at #10 with Pulisic on the wing, and figured Adam would probably take Mendez with one of the two following picks.

zlebmada repped this.
  18. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet Adam has his sights set on someone else but I like the Mendez pick.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  19. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    Finally got the draft moving at a good clip. I was hoping Roldan would fall to me, I was either going Gall or Roldan so you made my pick for me. Roldan would have brought some balance to my team, but screw balance I’m going all out attack!

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  20. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm very glad to obtain Roldan at that juncture. Good value with CM beginning to dry up. Gall is good value too, with the explosive ability he's shown in Sweden. I was specifically considering those two and a couple others.

thedukeofsoccer repped this.
  21. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, as you could figure, I would have selected him if he'd have fallen. I considered him with my previous pick, but I took the chance with attacker being my priority after losing out on the best options in the first round and taking Adams instead.

I think he'll breakout when the nt manager gives him an opportunity. I'm on the fence whether that will happen under Berhalter or not. He's more competent, but he has some built-in biases w/ Roldan's competition. Some positive indications coming out of camp however.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  22. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was surprised Fabian fell to this spot. Most have seemed to appreciate him more than I, but he's arguably become under-appreciated with the youth movement. Don't know if I'd call him up for the GC or subsequent though. I think the slew of alternative fb's would have to disappoint, and the borderline a-wing options would have to not pan out.

Several picks ago I had Roldan penciled in as plan a, and Johnson as plan b. Would have felt I was reaching if one didn't fall. Relieved at least the plan b did.

ChuckMe92 and zlebmada repped this.
  23. zlebmada

zlebmada Member

United States
    Jan 16, 2018
    I was really surprised you took Mendez -- he wasn't in my near term plans and neither was Ledezma tbh. But seeing him on your board got me jealous and I lost my composure and took the only other real 10 in the pool other than Andrew "Trainwreck" Carleton. I'm terrible at this. I have no idea what I'm doing.

Lookingforleftbacks and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  24. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    A lot of risks being taken early on I hope these kids that are being hyped turn out to be what we’re hoping. A lot of it is going to be down to Berhalter and his style preference as well, let’s say Ledezma and Mendez turn out to be great, do they play over guys like Adams and Acosta?

Lookingforleftbacks and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  25. zlebmada

zlebmada Member

United States
    Jan 16, 2018
    I think Adams will start every meaningful game for the USMNT for the next decade. I think Acosta will be surpassed.