The Official 2019 San Jose Earthquakes related Blogs/Press thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jan 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I was joking. But who knows?

3. SeaJayBee

SeaJayBee Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Saratoga
    I suspect some of you were planning on attending the Jersey Unveil Party next week on the 13th at San Pedro Square.

FWIW, I heard from a usually reliable source, that the unveil is being delayed a week. I think the reason for that may be because they are close to settling on a Jersey sponsor and want to include them in the reveal.

I have not seen anything "official" on the SJE Website so maybe it is still being negotiated. I guess if it falls through, they will hold the reveal on the original date.

Goodsport repped this.
  4. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I've got a conflict on the 20th, so I hope they don't delay it.

5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #30 Goodsport, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    If that's indeed the case, then I have absolutely no problem with the one week delay. :)

Besides, considering that (according to the rumor) the primary jersey and uniform as a whole will remain predominantly black for at least the next two seasons rather than returning to the blue/black/blue, I had no plans to either attend the event or purchase the new primary jersey anyway, just as I didn't back in 2017.

My 2016 authentic primary jerseys will be worn that much longer, I suppose. :thumbsup:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #31 falvo, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    Love Gary Singh’s old stories. He reminded me once of how when we were kids at Spartan Stadium and how we use to climb the trees and slide down the stairs on east side of the stadium. Going to Quakes games was better than going to Santa Cruz , Frontier Village or Great America. All San Jose had was Westgate & Eastridge Malls and the Pruneyard and there wasn’t much to do. Former stadium announcer Bob Ray told me the other day, it was a different time and a different vibe....

QuakeAttack and NedZ repped this.
  7. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Kids are still using stadia as makeshift slides. :)

8. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If you haven't read Gary's book yet, you owe it to yourself to do so. It is sold at Avaya in the Quakes shop next to the front entrance, and in Campbell at Recycle books. Plus it is available online, of course. This podcast is also very entertaining. Monti asks some on-point questions. Gary isn't exactly PC, and besides describing his days as a kid at Spartan, he has plenty of other opinions and stories to relate about the league and San Jose. This was a good followup to the Johnny Moore interview they had in December, and they hope to have a Krazy George interview as well.

9. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just got an email and saw a tweet that tomorrow’s Jersey Reveal party was cancelled due to rain. Instead, they are going to host a season kickoff party on wed feb-27. They are still going to announce the new Jersey tomorrow.

10. tenfourteen

tenfourteen Member

Sep 30, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    the skeptic in me, believes they still haven't signed off on a new kit sponsor yet lol

SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The rain should not impact a party at San Pedro Square Market, but it would certainly put a damper on the Quakes flag raising in the plaza outside City Hall, which was supposed to precede it. I wonder if that isn't the rationale for the postponement.

12. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe the real rationale is that only a few people signed up? I'm not signing up for the Feb-27 kickoff event.

Really, i think weather is a sorry ass excuse. Wouldn't the ultras have shown up rain or shine? Aren't soccer fans used to watching in the rain? How many other clubs of any pro sport have cancelled their jersey unveiling for rain? Is this the first?

tenfourteen and bsman repped this.
  13. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Pouring rain and high winds...I wouldn't want to be out in that either.

And, yeah, few signups. Two more weeks means more time to promote and probably better weather.

14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If they were afraid no one would show, you would think they would cancel instead of rescheduling within a fortnight.

15. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #MeToo. So, it's settled. No finished roof, and no heated field. :)

16. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dunno, i think something is going on. Yesterday my sales rep left me a really long voicemail. Barely mentioned that the jersey unveiling was cancelled, not really even calling to make sure I knew it had been. Instead trying to get me to buy tickets for pre-season game, more seats, the new kickoff party etc etc. I think that was his 3rd call in the last month, trying to sell more tickets.

I don't recall his calling like this last year, but we also switched the phone numbers so that I am now the prime phone num instead of hubby. But I think hubby would have mentioned if rep had been calling this much last Jan-Feb...

17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Sounds like you need a restraining order. :)

18. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no, he is a sweet guy and a long-time fan like us. But I think the fact he keeps calling an old STH must mean that he doesn't have enough other leads to follow up on.

19. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You should take him to lunch.

My advice to all Quakes season ticketholders. Take your ticket rep to lunch. I've been doing it since the Spartan Stadium days.

20. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i gave the rep a big basket of goodies last season because I felt so guilty after hubby reamed him over the phone.

don gagliardi repped this.
  21. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

22. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, it was different times. I get asked a lot about the area was like in the late 60 and 70s. I grew up Cupertino so my mall was a new Vallco which is about get demolished (Note: My mom attended city planning commission meetings to make sure enough trees were included in the plans!). I used to play in the orchards where the old Apple HQ on De Anza Blvd and my first baseball practices and games were at a school near the new Apple Space Ship. There was no 85 and the 680/110 interchain wasn't completed.

Downtown SJ was a dump (Note: SF wasn't much better). No one went there. Going to Frontier Village seemed like traveling outside the city. Even going to Spartan didn't seem like you were going to the city.

It was amazing place to grow-up.

mjlee22, DotMPP, Quakes05 and 2 others repped this.
  23. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don gagliardi repped this.
  24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005