The Official 2019 San Jose Earthquakes related Blogs/Press thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jan 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    TallSierra repped this.
  2. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    When I was growing up, most of the fun of a sporting event was the tailgate. It was so cool to grill some food off the back of your car and kick a ball in a parking lot with random kids. Those days of human interaction seem to be gone and replaced with going into a stadium to eat and drink at astonishing prices.

DotMPP, TallSierra, Quakes05 and 4 others repped this.
  3. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #328 don gagliardi, Nov 11, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  4. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ironically, The Athletic article mentioned future stadiums being located in the urban core/center to INCREASE human interaction, i.e. supporter groups, fans meeting up at bars/pubs and restaurants before and after matches (millenial, communal aspect for MLS' future success I suppose).

TallSierra repped this.
  5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ironic, indeed. Because you can guy a six pack at the supermarket for roughly the same price as a pint in a downtown bar. And you can lounge in a chair at a tailgate drinking in your red solo cup instead of flailing futility to get the beleaguered bartender's attention. :)

6. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    Ironically, that view of the world just happens to greatly increase the sucking of money from our wallet and shrinking the space needed to interact, all win-win for the owners.

don gagliardi repped this.
  7. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    TallSierra, falvo and Scott Rohde repped this.
  8. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Interesting take. I see it differently: future soccer in America being more akin to attending urban venue MLB/NBA/NHL vs driving to vast parking lot/tailgating NFL. I.E. attend a pub/restaurant pre game in an urban center, walk/march to the game with thousands of other supporters/fans, watch said game, and hit the same pubs/restaurants post-game.

I've never been to a Premier League game in England (definitely on the Bucket list!), but many of the stadiums appear to be located in dense urban neighborhoods, surrounded by many a supporters pub/restaurants and easily accessible via transit. Perhaps this is what the study cited in The Athletic is recommending for MLS' future..

9. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Re-tweeted by the Quakes, so it's "official."

10. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe tailgating is more of a boomer (and older) thing? After all, a lot of millennials nowadays don’t even own a car.

Antonio2020 repped this.
  11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You don't need a car to participate in a tailgate. :)

2in10 and Antonio2020 repped this.
  12. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    But then you'd be a freeloader! ;)

mjlee22 repped this.
  13. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    The big difference to me is that tailgate can be a low cost and group friendly option to get ready for a game while meeting at a bar or restaurant or in the Stadium is expensive.

Plus I feel like people don't plan anything anymore, it is all spur of the moment which, requires the use of a facility to provide the services.

mjlee22 repped this.
  14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    There are plenty of Quakes fans who take public transit and walk to tailgates. I believe, based on his prior posts, for example, @ThreeApples is one. That does not mean we don't make a contribution to the parking-lot-potluck.

I personally don't like to cook, but I always bring extra beer (even when I bike to the games). I've met lots of people by simply walking around a parking lot with a 12-pack, not only at Avaya but elsewhere. If you bring your own beers and offer them around, you'll be welcome most anywhere. :)

15. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We hold these truths to be self-evident. :)

16. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Home Depot, Costco, Walmart, Santana Row, San Jose City Hall... :D

17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Don Garber says the state of MLS is healthy. The reality is more complicated.

If Don Garber is the CEO of MLS, his annual state of the league press conference is the company’s earnings call. Every year on the eve of MLS Cup, Garber addresses a room full of reporters to review the season, set a narrative for the upcoming campaign, field questions and occasionally break some news.

Most years, the talk is overwhelmingly positive and the 2019 edition was no different . . .

Garber painted attendance as a solid story for MLS, and in many respects he was right to do so . . .

Dig a little deeper, though, and some trends emerge that seem worrisome. Though the league-wide average of 21,305 fans per match stacked up well globally, it was the lowest mark for MLS since 2014 . . .

I mention all of that for context, but am not of the opinion that those low marks should be harped on too much . . . At least half of MLS had a healthy average attendance in 2019. The real problem, then is the other half.

Five teams — Chicago, Houston, Montreal, New York City FC and Orlando — had the lowest average attendance in their MLS histories in 2019. Colorado drew fewer fans per match than any season since 2009. The New York Red Bulls had their worst average since they moved into Red Bull Arena in 2010. San Jose posted their worst mark since they moved into Avaya Stadium in 2015 . . . [Emphasis added]

https://theathletic.com/1379222/201...s-is-healthy-the-reality-is-more-complicated/

Antonio2020 and bsman repped this.
  18. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

[​IMG]

19. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Only Dickens that I could stomach growing up.

20. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I couldn't get through it when I first picked it up as a kid. I think I was in my 20s when I finally finished it.

21. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah, they make kids read certain books before they're ready. Shakespeare in junior high is a bad idea.

22. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    I guess winning a wooden spoon in 2018 and then not adding any marquee players in 2019 is a bad model to follow for boosting attendance.

So far this looks like the same play book for 2020.

23. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tried two or three times to get through a copy of "The Old Curiosity Shop" that I bought in the store of the same name in London. Then I lost the book... I admire anyone who can finish a Dickens :barefoot:

24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Antonio2020 repped this.
  25. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Not Quakes related, but I read over at Bloomberg that Meg Whitman has purchased a 20% stake in FC Cincinnati for $100 million, valuing said franchise at $500 million. WTF!! It'd be nice if Fisher sold a stake in the Quakes for a nice, hefty infusion of cash (players salaries, stadium improvements, etc).

mjlee22, Goodsport and falvo repped this.