The Official 2018 San Jose Earthquakes related Blogs/Press thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Earthquakes website has a link to a sports conference at Stanford the week after next . Dave Kaval will be on one of the panels, and there's also a panel about football, meaning soccer, but I was most interested to see one of the keynote speakers: http://gsbsic.stanford.edu/view-from-the-commissioner/

bobby_guzman repped this.
  2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    markmcf8, bobby_guzman and bsman repped this.
  4. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  5. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not the team source mentioned in the article! Actually when I asked and Jesse told me (they've been roster compliant for weeks), I asked if I could share this info and he initially said no, but then changed his mind. I asked why they weren't letting the world know but he didn't answer that.

6. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I bet he was being cagey. If other teams thought that the Quakes were not “roster compliant”, they may have been contacting SJ with trade ideas (thinking they could get a good deal). He may have wanted to see which teams are willing to sell international slots and what the rate is this early in the season.

bobby_guzman and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  7. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Quakes President Tom Fox and COO Jared Shawlee, along with a loudmouth fan, will be speaking at the February 28 at 6 pm flag-raising event at San Jose City Hall (200 E. Santa Clara St.). Drop by to heckle and then join the after-party with the players at San Pedro Square Market at 7 pm. (Drink specials for those wearing Quakes gear). :)

markmcf8 and Goodsport repped this.
  8. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Loud mouth fan could be any of us... but I'm assuming it's you... so congrats!

markmcf8, Goodsport, NedZ and 3 others repped this.
  9. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What kind of event is this? Is it announced anywhere on the Quakes site?

10. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Goodsport posted the link, and I quoted his post as the preface to mine. :)

The flag raising and San Pedro Square party afterward are among the week-long festivities leading up to the opener on March 3.

11. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. fifacupmundial

San Jose Earthquakes, then Palmeiras, then Arsenal
    United States
    Aug 3, 2008
    Petaluma, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But doesn't the start of this season feel the same way 2009 was with Huckerby, O'Brien, and Lima?

14. fifacupmundial

San Jose Earthquakes, then Palmeiras, then Arsenal
    United States
    Aug 3, 2008
    Petaluma, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't you think that as well?
    Did you watch him in preseason?
    Watching him face Bingham face to face in Orange County last week shows his class.

15. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A San Jose Earthquakes flag raising ceremony at San José City Hall in preparation for the upcoming home/season opener. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Can anyone here imagine this happening back when Ron Gonzales was the mayor, or even anytime before that (perhaps for the Sharks, but now also for the Earthquakes?)?

We've come a long way (seriously!)! :thumbsup:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

markmcf8 repped this.
  16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    DotMPP repped this.
  17. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WOW!!

All this stuff looks really cool, and it looks like the Quakes are really trying to get some traction and notice in the city. That's excellent! (And makes me wish I was there. :( ) Did the team do anything like this at the start of last season? I don't recall it if so.

In any case, I'm glad to see these events and the We are San José campaign. Most excellent. I want reports on how well these things go!

I'll try to get down there in August. There's a pair of home games, Wed/Sat that I want to try to make.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

18. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Here is a video of the ceremony. Don G. speaks at about the 8:20 mark. However, it is worth watching the whole thing to hear Tom Fox and Jared Shawlee and to see Krazy George honored:

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1vOGwAWQMwdxB

For years fans have advocated for a culture change at the Quakes. It may be difficult to believe, but IMO that has actually taken place. (Whether or not it proves out on the field or not remains to be seen, of course). Yes, it is still a business, but It isn't just marketing - from the conversations I've had, IMO the movers and shakers in the F.O. have embraced the idea of "Club" as was prescribed by Johnny Moore years ago. Shawlee described it to me as "family" and came to the job who was originally a fan. Fox described the team bonding when the team rented a bowling alley for the F.O. and the players and their families. Jed Mettee, who believes in the community service connection is still there. I've spoken to ticket reps and even a clerk in the Earthquakes store who have read and absorbed the ethos Gary Singh's book The Earthquakes, a Seismic Soccer Legacy.

After the ceremony I had a chance to engage in real conversation for quite a while, along with BS member SeaBeeJay, with Joel Qwiberg who come across as the type of player we all want in "The Club". Joel has been here now about 6 weeks.

He related two stories I thought were quite revealing. He said that when he was first called by Jesse it was a great conversation - and that Joel was about 40 minutes into the call when he suddenly realized , to his great surprise, that Jesse had not asked him anything about his "football". No questions about playing style, positions, technique - it was all about learning about each other as people. He was very impressed with that.

Secondly, Joel described how wonderful and friendly everyone had been to him since he arrived. Players, F.O., fans. I said that Wondo is well known for this and Joel said absolutely, Wondo is a real role model and that everyone had been helpful and friendly, and that there was a great mix of younger players and older guys like Wondo and Shea. (Later I told him that it is hard for me to think of Shea as an "older guy" since I remember when Salinas first joined the Quakes).

The Shea mention was especially interesting to me, since he and Joel are in competition for the same position. Joel explained that he has played in several European countries and in every club he was in did not have that personal player bonding, because they players looked at each other as threats to their own jobs. He played for a Dutch team, he said, where after six months he still had not spoken to some players on the team.

That doesn't mean that the Quakes atmosphere will lead to less effort by players because people are friendly. Joel told me his philosophy is that over a 34 game season every player will be needed and has to ready to step up at a moment's notice. He still sees competition for positions but also believes the team whose players will support and play for each other will succeed

So the Quakes have been a revelation for him, and when Jesse tells the fans that he wants players who want to be here and sees that as a strength, he is telling the truth.

19. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Based on what he's contributed to social media and your experience above, Joel seems to be a super good guy. We know we don't have to worry about that part. Need to see a little more on the field now, but his attitude is really, really good.

20. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I forgot to mention that after the flag-raising ceremony we all headed over to San Pedro Market. The Quakes provided free pizza and sliders for the fans. :)

21. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Not to mention free beers! :)

22. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It looks like this EQ event was actually a Rorschach Test for Don and me in which we have inadvertently exposed our own priorities in life! :sneaky:

23. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And not just a sea change in the San Jose Earthquakes front office's attitude, but a sea change in the San José city government's attitude as well. :thumbsup:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

don gagliardi repped this.
  24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States