The Official 2017 San Jose Earthquakes related Blogs/Press thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Jan 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I'm not sure the 2005 team was better than the 2012 team. 2005 had .06 higher PPG but lower GD, and cleaned up on division expansion teams Chivas USA and RSL, each of whom won only 4 games all year. And no one else in their division was really very good. Gals were very mediocre - #sampson.

The 2005 team was really good and probably played prettier soccer than 2012 but I think were operating in an environment where most of the other teams were incompetent or dysfunctional. The 2012 team OTOH laid some heavy beatings on good teams like RSL.

2. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    still waiting for the Quakes press release updating fans of the status of one of our highest paid players/DP Simon Dawkins.....I guess they had more important press releases to get out..like the "Q" piñata or some other big event....

Beerking and bsman repped this.
  3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You would think they would have said something by now. The Quakes and MLS as a rule must be glad few people care about soccer This type of news would be a daily article anywhere else in the world.

4. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yes, fewer passionate customers, the holy grail of successful businesses everywhere!

MtnGardener and mjlee22 repped this.
  5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    No Atlanta? The list is rigged. :)

6. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Actually, looking over 2005, the Quakes played both Chivas USA and RSL 4 times, so 8 of their 32(?) games against teams that both lost 22 of their games. By contrast, the 2012 Quakes played each of Seattle, LA, and RSL 3 times - all at least reasonably competent rival teams. LA had Keane and Donovan and Beckham in those days I believe. RSL had their mostly intact championship team from 2009, PPG 1.68, Seattle was good also, PPG 1.65. And the Quakes went 8-0-1 against those teams! And some of those were total beatdowns, like 4-0, 5-1. The more I think about it, the more I think that the 2012 team was better than the 2005 team.

Also, 2005 Quakes forwards - A. Moreno, kind of a journeyman forward, Cerritos, on his very last legs, and Ching, good player but was injured a lot of that year IIRC. By contrast 2012 had Wondo's record-breaking goals total, Gordon scoring at an even higher rate than Wondo, and Lenhart terrorizing MLS defenses. To me there is no comparison.

I thought the 2005 team was great, an amazing story considering that they had lost some key players, including Donovan, and the preseason hope was just that they'd be "competitive". And they killed it that year! But still, not as good as 2012. I would keep the 2005 team in there at #5, put the Quakes 2012 up there at #3 or 4, and kick out Miami. :)

7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ultimate San Jose Earthquakes situation (at least to date): either the 2005 or 2012 San Jose Earthquakes roster wearing the 2016 primary uniforms playing on the 75-yards-wide playing field that both the USWNT and USMNT played on (or at the very least, on the current 74-yards-wide Chris Leitch era playing field) in Avaya Stadium. :thumbsup:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

8. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #158 Goodsport, Sep 17, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    Still, as lackluster as the San Jose Earthquakes have been the last few years, overall they're still tied for third in the league with the most MLS Cup wins (two, tied with both Sporting Kansas City and the Houston Dynamo), tied for third in the league with the most MLS Supporters' Shield wins (two, tied with the New York Red Bulls) and tied for third in the league with a combination of MLS Cup and MLS Supporters' Shield wins (a combined four, tied with Columbus Crew SC). :thumbsup:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

don gagliardi repped this.
  9. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the SF Chronicle delivered to my home this morning.....Section B page 13 "Quakes win in Houston"

DotMPP and don gagliardi repped this.
  10. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #160 JazzyJ, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  11. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    By the time Wondo retires, there may no longer be a Macy's. But I'm sure there are other modeling gigs for a 30-something guy with the sweater over button down shirt look (if he's still in his 30's when he retires :) ).

DotMPP and mjlee22 repped this.
  13. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now see, if Wondo had an agent, he should be trying to get Wondo a gig in the NYTimes men's fashion Sunday supplement. They periodically print a thick issue, and maybe Wondo would be an appealing model in there even if he were close to 40...

14. Quakealope

Quakealope Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excuse me. My internet been down three days...followed DC match on flashscore.com. My question is rightfully this: Why tf did my Sunday morning edition of Mercury, hard copy on my6 driveway, include no mention of the DC match? Fing none! And while I've been out of it, I wonder why bings wasnt on bench as 2nd keeper. I ask these Qs in blogs/press thread, believing its proper thread.

15. Quakealope

Quakealope Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Furthermore, then 1050 SJ/DC broadcast never was aired, per sched in San Jose Fng Merc. No no...TCU ncaa football v Westboro Baptist or god (and/or satin) knows who was featured. Perhaps my notes belong in the *small club thread*

16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Rhetorical question, right?

17. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question 1: Perhaps it didn't make deadline.
    Question 2: Bings is carrying a back strain injury.

Quakealope repped this.
  18. Quakealope

Quakealope Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for response, guys. Its Tuesday and I'm over it...the inconvenience that is. My final thoughts could easily belong in the *small club* thread.

This eastern zone match concluded around 6pm, and SJM posted the result amongst the MLS standings on back page of the Sunday sports page. It's there, next to the Alameda County Fair race handicap. No write up on the Quakes match. No way that's a matter of deadlines. Sharks preseason match in AZ was covered on Page 2, replete with player quotes and full story.

As for 1050am offering no explanation for not carrying the *scheduled* broadcast from DC, well, that's definitely minor league.

bsman and don gagliardi repped this.
  19. vjle

vjle Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The EQ need an ad like this:

BCaso18, DotMPP, bsman and 2 others repped this.
  20. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Brilliant!

21. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  22. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    On the Quakes Twitter they have a 24 second video of the fan wall in the player tunnel with fan messages displayed. I had to use the pause button, but at the 6th second I saw Don’s name in the lower left hand side of the video on the white wall. (I saw my blurry name in the upper side of the dark blue wall). I couldn't tell if this was a sort of video display or if (more likely) it is a plexiglass cover over the messages. Either way it would allow new messages each year.