The Off-Year & Special Elections Thread

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Knave, Mar 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Ad....

Ads....

2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What?

;):D

3. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My favorite college football blogger weighs in on today's election:

Gamecock14 repped this.
  4. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    877214675699675139 is not a valid tweet id

5. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Doesn't seem to be looking too good for Ossoff.

Gamecock14 and sitruc repped this.
  6. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Was it ever really looking good? He might have outspent Handel, but the R's outspent the D's. It's remarkable that it will even be close. This has been a 20-30% R district since the 80s. My college roommate grew up and now lives in the area. Even he is shocked it's close.

sitruc repped this.
  7. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Oh, I agree.

But the news tomorrow will be that this is a big Dem loss.

And the Dem professional class (who will always rather be blamed for inaction than action) will say this wasn't a race they should have thrown money at.

Both assertions are dumb.

Gamecock14 and sitruc repped this.
  8. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yeah. And Trump will declare victory even though Handel did everything in her power to keep Trump away.

The problem is with Dem and DNC leadership. They have to fix a lot of things in the next 6 months or 2018 is going to be painful / closer than it should be.

They became to fixated with making it about Trump. The strategy might have worked if one of the other two R's had beaten Handel, but Handel is what the Republican Party was 8-10 years ago, not what it is now. She isn't/wasn't going to ride or die with Trump. The district is predominantly what the Republican Party was 8-10 years ago. She is a fit for the district. Ossoff is young and inexperienced. I think he loses by 6-10% without the gigantic cash influx, but a light to moderate one. That would have sent the message certain R's congressmen/senators are currently feeling.

However, it does feel good to finally see some action from the DNC where they usually ignore it. Atlanta's demographics are changing, they need to change to pick up the votes.

9. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I will say this about people calling GA-6 a progressive district. 2 out of the 3 counties voted and made every attempt to stop the MARTA (commuter train) from coming to the county. They nicely said they didn't want the poor people.

ElJefe and sitruc repped this.
  10. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, one thing that I've learned about white progressives over the last couple years: A lot of them will claim to be "woke" or whatever, but they lowkey don't want to sit next to a PoC on the bus or train. Just google Lyft Shuttle and tell me that that ain't gonna take off in San Francisco.

But yeah, anyone who thinks that GA-6 is progressive has been smoking an herb that's legal in California, but not Georgia. Policywise, it's hard to say that Jon Ossoff was completely out of touch for the district. I don't see that he would've done any better in that district by beating the drum for Medicare-for-all or a nationwide $15/hr. minimum wage.

soccernutter and Gamecock14 repped this.
  11. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I will always vote to bring Marta to Cobb County.

Gamecock14 repped this.
  12. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    There was certainly a lot of racism that keep Cobb County out of Marta in the early days (and I imagine the same with Gwinette). I doubt that is the reason today. Cobb looks at all the corruption in the city of Atlanta and DeKalb County and says we want none of that. I grew up in DeKalb County, it was once the jewel of Atlanta, now it is a complete mess.

Gamecock14 repped this.
  13. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I heard that Cobb had a recent vote where they might look into the possibilities rather than the traditional "hell no".

Around the olympics, didn't someone say that expanding the marta would let people come to Cobb, rob houses, and then take them back to Atlanta. The history of Marta is interesting especially when compared to the DC metro which were given their initial funding around the same time. DC really continues to expand and it's interesting given the gentrification and wealthy suburbs. (The only time I have ever ridden the new metro cars are on the lines that serve the really rich areas like the red and silver line but thats a different story.) Marta pretty much stagnated, even when the olympics tend to lead to infrastructure improvement.

14. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    To an extent, but a lot of places that are now "complete messes" typically involve business and people with money leaving because certain people moved in. The government doesn't realize it can't function like it can't without revenue and they borrow more than they can pay back which leads to less resources.

The opposite is now happening to areas like this in the DC area with the increase in highly educated immigrants and transplants. Areas that were formerly "distressed" compared to the 60s and 70s are coming back because people are willing to move to the areas and allow re-development.

15. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I don't think so, that might have been true in the early 70s when they were planning the MARTA lines. But you also have remember Atlanta was a small town back then and Cobb County was literally "the sticks". Atlanta is a great town, but its big failure is its transit system.

yossarian, crazypete13 and Gamecock14 repped this.
  16. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Do you mean the 7000 series? They're on all lines now, but that has been a slow roll out due to manufacturing and testing being behind schedule and power requirements. Most areas want Metro to be conveniently located now, but Purple Line (I know it's not WMATA).

I was going to comment about Metro after your first MARTA comment that I can be wearing a suit during Orange Crush and chances are nobody will sit next to me...

Gamecock14 repped this.
  17. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Private buses are already a thing in San Francisco. Google "Google bus" to see.

Also, I think this whole "woke" business is the dumbest thing since the last dumb thing the dopey left came up with.

18. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can forgive the Google buses for one main reason: Getting from San Francisco to Google's campuses in the Valley would be a colossal pain in the ass, requiring taking three different transit systems in succession. And you know and I know that most people would rather sit on 101 or 280 than do that, so thumbs up to Google for taking those cars off the roads.

Meanwhile, Lyft Shuttle is nothing more than a way to avoid the Poors on MUNI.

soccernutter repped this.
  19. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Good night for the GOP in GA06, terrible for them in South Carolina.

The attention and money spent on GA06 means it won't mean much for analytical purposes next year though - massive turnout from the GOP thanks to all the attention paid to the race.

20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More of the same, man you all get all exited for nothing.

Another close but not winning.

That best describes the Democrat Party overall.

Shit what was the spending by both parties, 90 million for 400K voters. wow!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/republic...race-beating-back-liberal-wave-021234603.html

21. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    As a Bay Area native, I think it basically means the dirty tech trash should have found a place to live in Silicon Valley.

22. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For all the, "it was close than before" stuff, I'm not on board. Handel put her foot in her mouth more than once, but Ossoff count drive in the nail all the way. And with all the attention and money, the Dems really should count this as a loss. If they don't, mid-terms don't look good.

As for S. Carolina, that is surprisingly close.

Boandlkramer repped this.
  23. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    The Democrat Ossoff was kind of weenie.

But I repeat myself .

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  24. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I can't help but think that some momentum in this race was driven by the national news undercurrents. It's been a bad week for liberals in the news. The Scalise shooting, more attacks in Europe ... You notice it in Trump's numbers which gained almost a point since last week.

If this election was held one week ago it was conservatives who were in the middle of a bad news cycle with the Trump investigation dominating headlines.

It's funny how these news cycle events can move an election in real time. If last year's election was held on October 20th, we'd all be talking about president Clinton right now...

Chesco United repped this.
  25. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Fun fact: total spending on #GA06 (district which consists of parts of 3 GA counties) topped spending on Ronald Reagan's 1984 re-election bid, even adjusting for inflation.