"The Norwegian Wonderkid"- The Official Welcome Martin Ødegaard Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by -Fifth CharM-, Jan 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    If we've learned anything the past year, it's that you can't just sell players who don't want to leave. You think a player that just wound down his contract is going to agree to another move a year later because it's convenient for the club?

Prit Javier and Hsain85 repped this.
  2. Hsain85

Hsain85 Member+

Mar 28, 2006
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    His salary will be an issue in the future when you decide to offload him.

Prit Javier and Lyra repped this.
  3. Drouchk

Drouchk Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 9, 2018
    Only type of midfielders we should worry about at this point in time are box to box or DMs, we have no need for Eriksen with Odegaard right around the corner.

Prit Javier repped this.
  4. Chinky24

Chinky24 Member+

Real Madrid
    Dec 26, 2004
    Nashville
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    What stands out about Eriksen to me is that despite no physical superhuman-ness or ability to anchor the game with steel, he has that mercurial brilliance and doesn't hesitate to turn a touch into an opportunity or take a shot from outside the box. Given James' injury record and Isco's general blah-ness, I don't see why not if for free.

Anon. repped this.
  5. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    He's not really "free" though. There is no transfer fee attached, true, but there is going to be a significant signing bonus involved, not to mention agent fees.

People look at the Halland deal as a steal for 20M Euros, but they gave him 8M net a year in salary, a 10M signing bonus to his father, and the agent got 15M according to Marca. So lower transfer fees just means the player and the agents will ask for more.

Hsain85 repped this.
  6. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #1306 4x4s, Dec 31, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    Dortmund are registered in the stock market, so they have to give accurate numbers. Raiola, who is Halland's agent, got 3 million Euro according to german media. The 15 mil. number is floating around from some italian "football expert with sources".

The 8 mil. are surely not net. Dortmund's highest earning players are in the 10 to 12 mil. region in gross salary, and it's being reported that his 8 mil.is right under that level, so make those net wages into gross wages as well.

At the end of the day, Dortmund will publish a financial report with numbers, but i'm willing to believe there's a lot of sauce on that number to make a lot of bitter teams feel better about losing out on him. Leipzig (who were also making an effort) have already made some funny statements about him.

7. Chinky24

Chinky24 Member+

Real Madrid
    Dec 26, 2004
    Nashville
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That is the objective reality we have to face these days in the football transfer market - however, being transfer-fee-free is still a win relative compared to the alternatives and price gouging that other clubs have been pulling on us since the 1990's.

Having said that, this doesn't take away from the fact that I would still believe getting Eriksen is a net-win. What's to lose? I'd rather have something than nothing, and live on these false dawn's of players returning from injury as "new transfer's". That's just bullshit spin and hasn't done any good for us, ie. James coming back and then getting re-injured.

This is the Odegaard thread, now that I've realized too late, but I don't think that takes away from my firm position that we need someone in the winter as well as the coming summer. The existing team needs to be gradually phased out regardless. Sorry if I sound like a dick here but, I don't think waiting a year and a half

Anon. repped this.
  8. Forcamadrid2

Forcamadrid2 Member

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Dec 13, 2017
    Signing bonuses and agent fees apply also for no-fee transfers. True, free transfers may ask higher fees, but that is just semantics.

4x4s repped this.
  9. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    How is it semantics when it's actual money?

You actually think an agent is willingly going to lose out on the agent fee out of a 100M transfer because they're not going to make significantly more on a free transfer? Or that the player isn't going to cash in on more wages after risking their football career winding down their contract?

10. Forcamadrid2

Forcamadrid2 Member

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Dec 13, 2017
    Ok, maybe wrong choice of word. What I meant is that agent fees can be high even for non free transfers, think Riaola.

When we talk about transfers, we often discard agent fees from cost, but we now look at them for a free transfer.

High salary and how he fits in the squad given roster we have are valid reasons, but agent fees shouldn't be, hence, semantics

Anon. repped this.
  11. Forcamadrid2

Forcamadrid2 Member

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Dec 13, 2017
    In this market, Eriksen would cost 100m if he had 2 years left in his contract. If we decided we needed and bought him, that would be 20m cost per year in a 5 year contract. And that is not counting agent and other fees

If we get him for free, it is gonna cost us what, max 20m total in fees and maybe 2-3 m extra per year on salaries?

I am not advocating we get him, because I am not sure what that will mean for odegard and Fede, but to say that we should not get him because he will come with high agent fees is wrong.

Anon. repped this.
  12. Saint Iker

Saint Iker Ronaldo's Right Foot

Dec 5, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If we're letting go of Modric, James and Isco in the summer, then I think picking up Eriksen would be a good move for us. With MO coming back and hopefully a new CDM, we should be set in midfield.

13. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    For what it's worth most articles suggest that Odegaard is an option only if Modric and Isco leave, and Eriksen isn't really linked to us in such a heavy basis.

Now if Tottenham are willing to ship him over right now in exchange for Bale its a win for us.

Prit Javier repped this.
  14. russian hattie

russian hattie Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No, we do need good back ups for Casemiro, Valverde and Kroos, but we lack creativity and goals from midfield. I’d say we would be much better with Ødegaard with us sooner.

15. Drouchk

Drouchk Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 9, 2018
    My issue is what do you do with Eriksen when you bring Ødegaard back next season?

16. russian hattie

russian hattie Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm not sure. It would be hard to pass up on Eriksen for free. We could think of Modric leaving next season and having midfield options of: Kroos, Casemiro, Valverde, Eriksen, Odegaard - which looks like a fantastic range of options. Balancing minutes would be tricky though. Plus we still need a back up for Casemiro.

Prit Javier and Anon. repped this.
  17. Ahmadi8

Ahmadi8 Member+

Apr 14, 2005
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    You being in Eriksen, you're better off keeping Odegaard on loan.

I think it sends the wrong message. Selling Modric and bringing in Eriksen screams no faith in Odegaard. Especially since to be honest Modric isnt a starter anymore.

Excape Goat and Lyra repped this.
  18. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    How so? Odegaard won't be starting immediately if he comes here next season and Eriksen will drastically increase our offensive output while being a world class CM too.

Anon. repped this.
  19. janos audron

janos audron Member+

Apr 12, 2010
    Casemiro, DM / CDM, Kroos, Eriksen, Valverde, Odegaard.

Sounds great to me.

Anon. and Eddie repped this.
  20. Ahmadi8

Ahmadi8 Member+

Apr 14, 2005
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    On paper. When the minutes get distributed and Odegaard isn't playing enough or Eriksen isnt playing enough the problems start. I think you have to choose one or the other. Then you can bring in someone else once Kroos is out of the starting line up or retires.

21. Hsain85

Hsain85 Member+

Mar 28, 2006
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    James is a lot better than Eriksen.

22. Gogermo

Gogermo Member

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Sep 22, 2019
    Some things you read in here...

James is joke and spoiled brat.

23. Hsain85

Hsain85 Member+

Mar 28, 2006
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I agree with your first statement. Your second is the proof.

Lyra repped this.
  24. janos audron

janos audron Member+

Apr 12, 2010
    Per your rhetoric, you can always expect problems considering in any case you will have 6 midfielders in the squad, all quality considering we are talking about Real Madrid.

Or do you suggest we pack the squad with 3 top tier quality players, while the other 3 are back-ups content with sitting on RM bench?

25. Gogermo

Gogermo Member

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Sep 22, 2019
    And you have a picture of Granero up there. Your view of James must be as outdated.

petros93 repped this.