The newer, brighter & shinier Random Thoughts Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Feb 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So I've been having a serious head vs heart on trying to go to Anfield for the Porto and Chelsea games. My heart says yes (obviously) but my head has a good argument regarding money. I think the thing that makes me the most hesitant is that there is no guarantees that you can get tickets from anyone besides the club. The 2nd hand ticket retailers (online) have mixed reviews (some better than others) but you're paying out the ass, which is understandable considering the circumstance. I would just hate to go all the way there and not get in.

So I guess my next question is, is there anyone on here who is an official "member" of the club? From what I understand from the website (https://www.liverpoolfc.com/membership/adult) you get "access" to a general sale of 10,000 tickets per match but there's other factors that go into your access, including previous purchase history (which will be tough for anyone living in the USA to amass). Is this worth trying out next season?

And before any old school posters suggest I contact Scholesy, already did that. Also, I've read through the old school threads on the NSR section about traveling to Anfield and getting tickets, etc.

newterp repped this.
  2. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    This was on the bottom of that page.

Yesterday outraged Sun journalists took to Twitter to denounce the decision taken by The World Transformed to not grant them press passes for our four-day festival of politics, arts and music taking place alongside the Labour party conference in Liverpool next week. The World Transformed released a statement explaining that this decision was an act of solidarity with the families of the victims of the Hillsborough disaster, and a show of support for the boycott of the newspaper observed by community groups and businesses across Liverpool.

As an organiser with The World Transformed, and a proud Liverpudlian, I feel it’s crucial to explain why those attacking this decision as an act of “censorship” are so misguided.

Hillsborough commemoration: ‘we’ve waited 27 years for this’
    Over the past 29 years, people in my city have been fighting tooth and nailfor justice for their dead loved ones. The events of the Hillsborough disaster in 1989 devastated our entire community, and that heartbreak is still felt today across Liverpool and across generations. But it was not only the Hillsborough disaster itself that we had to deal with, it was also the libellous and deeply disrespectful smears against victims and Liverpool fans that were fuelled by the Sun newspaper in the immediate aftermath of the tragedy.

And in Liverpool, we not only have a collective feeling of pain over Hillsborough, we also have a collective resolve to honour the memory of the victims and, crucially, to win justice for them. That’s exactly why businesses and community groups across the cityhave built and grown a campaign to say loud and clear that the Sun – an outlet that wilfully lied in order to attack and smear working-class football fans – is not welcome in Liverpool. And we are fiercely proud of that.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ship-hillsborough-liverpool-labour-conference

LiverpoolFanatic and newterp repped this.
  3. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

The suggestion was also strongly made that something akin to that would happen.....
    pack of cretinous murderous wankers....

4. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  5. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm going. Booked today. Going to do an Anfield tour in there too. God, I hope my 2nd hand tickets are legit...

Wingtips1, imasyko, speker and 4 others repped this.
  6. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    How did you get them?

7. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I haven't yet. Using Footballticketnet.com and they deliver 1-2 days before the game. It's kinda shady but this is one of the few re-sale sites that has mostly decent reviews.

8. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if you find yourself alone in Stanley Park...:)

burning247 repped this.
  9. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm currently reading The Arms of Krupp which is about the German arms maker. I'm just getting into all the Nazi and slave labor stuff, but so far its been an pretty interesting perspective on the last couple hundred years of european history.

Moral of the story is defense contractors are in it to make money and governments are generally suckers for it.

newterp repped this.
  10. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    doesn't this make your timing of departure tricky? (I had a similar problem in 1999 when I got tickets from th eclub to see the vs Manure game.....
    they only arrived at my brother's house on the wednesday or thurdsday before the saturday of the game!! (my brother missed the game because of this!)

11. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I have a friend from high school that lives in Wrexham and I put her address down for now. I told them if it's 1-2 days before the game, it's ok to send it there. If it's same day delivery, I will pick them up. It's definitely nerve-racking because this is my first time doing it this way and I'm traveling very far on a hope/prayer.

Strangely enough, even buying directly from the clubs has caused me issues. I was attempting to buy a ticket to Fulham-Everton for Saturday via Fulham's website and when I tried to pay with my MasterCard, they wanted a "start date" as well as an expiration date for the credit card. Since we don't have "start dates" stamped on credit cards in America (usually), I did my best guess. I didn't get any confirmation (via the website or email) that it had gone through. So I tried again with a Visa hours later. This time they didn't ask for a start date and I got a confirmation that I had purchased it successfully. Never got an email confirmation though, which I thought was weird. Days later, when I realized that I had no idea how the ticket will be sent to me; I logged back in to my account on Fulham's website to find that I had actually bought both tickets. WTF? I've emailed them asking for a refund and explaining the situation. So ridiculous.

12. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Last season we bought our tickets via stubhub. We were told a similar thing ie that the tickets will be delivered the day prior to the match. We were staying in Liverpool but the day before the match the instructions changed to pick up the tickets at a pub close to the ground which we did and also returned them after the game. It had a very clandestine sort of feeling but everything worked out fine.

13. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    (a) Nice little drive down to wrexham. Note: Be careful drinking and driving in Britain - they breathalyze and prosecute everyone and the limits are lowwww.... I'm not insinuating that you are a drink-driver, but most people I know will drink a glass of wine or two beers or so and drive because it doesn't significantly impair driving ability... but I wouldn't do it there .....

(b)ranb into a similar credit card situation when I lost (well it expired) my credit card in Ireland. Tried to buy a double return flight from SF/Vegas with my brother's card and it didn't want to take it...we had to do a work-around.
    The reason (I think) for this is that most card issuers now charge higher interest rates for international card usage (outside of country of origin) which they usen't to... so, they have further increased the automatized differentiation in the recognition systems....etc.....

14. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Glad StubHub worked out for you. Everything I've read about them online (for UK purposes) was very negative (canceled tickets, etc.). Hoping this all works out for me. Hell, last time I went to Anfield, I didn't have confirmation I had a ticket until hours before the game! This should be much clearer ;)

Yeah, not planning on drinking and driving. This is my first time driving in the UK, so I'm going to be piss scared.

15. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

someone (US SCOUSE maybe!) should have told this guy to not (NOT) stare at the ground!!!

;)

16. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

17. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Pfft, imagine my first time driving in the States, in Manhattan, then a 1600 mile roadtrup around the NE corner of the US.

I didn't want to get pulled over and shot either. :D

burning247 repped this.
  18. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    those roadtrups are the worst.

my wife and i have made three trups ( on the road, natch ) from SoCal to Philly and Chattanooga (2) and back.

Got to see this:

[​IMG]

el-capitano repped this.
  19. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I actually started posting pics from the trip back then...... I can't remember where I got up to. :D

20. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Just went back into that thread- they've all disappeared :(

Broken image links........

21. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    [​IMG]

Hopefully this works- this was from closer to you later in the trip! :)

22. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so, now it's a trip.

I've been there. it's not that convenient to get to, but the Laserium show to Dark Side of the Moon was not to be missed.

el-capitano repped this.
  23. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Nah, that was an average military type jump. He did have problems with twists in the beginning, odd stepping out of the tailgate but the landing was fine. And yeah you do get fixated on the ground "as it comes up to hit you.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  24. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm honestly curious what you would consider his good decisions?

I personally have a hard time thinking of one that could considered neutral let alone good.

It feels like his decision making process follows 1 of 3 rules:

1) What will make me and my rich friends richer?
    2) What is the opposite of what Obama would do or did?
    3) What will make the lives of brown people more difficult?

But that's just my perspective...

Crooked, SamScouse, usscouse and 3 others repped this.
  25. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For starters, his policies regarding Cuba, Venezuela, and Nicaragua. In principal the idea of tightening up the border, regardless of how much wall gets built, is good policy. His meetings with North Korea have yet to be satisfactorily evaluated from a non-partisan perspective. Most of the flack from the Dems is posturing.

I don't think there is any clear-cut solution to the situation in Afghanistan. It's a nightmare that isn't going away. As far as Iran goes, I think Obama's deal was short-sighted. A theocracy in Iran isn't good for the region, let alone the rest of the world. Persian people are better off and more reasonable than the Saudis, but they aren't going to bring about a more moderate regime change.

Your remark about "brown people" is interesting. All brown people? How about Trump's prison reform efforts? How about unemployment rates for "brown people"? It's unreasonable for Trump to take credit for the lower UE rates, since they have been falling for quite a while, but he hasn't made matters worse, so I'm not sure I understand your point.