The newer, brighter & shinier Random Thoughts Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Feb 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Dang - glad the neighbors were observant enough, and kind enough, to help him out...hope he recovers fully and quickly...my dad's had a couple minor strokes, and he has recovered, mostly...but getting old...shakes head, rolls eyes...:rolleyes:o_O:(:thumbsdown:

usscouse repped this.
  2. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Fixed it.

usscouse and speker repped this.
  3. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    similar thing happened to my wife's cousin .... a widow living alone, had a fall and lay on kitchen floor for 3 days until worried neighbours broke in.

I've never understood all the humour aimed at the "I've fallen and can't get up" tv commercials. really funny -- until it happens to someone you care about .....

usscouse and LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  4. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shit, that's scary. Sorry to hear about your friend Terry. I remember a pic you posted of him holding up some crabs several years ago.

Universal single payer health care is the ONLY ethical way forward.

speker and usscouse repped this.
  5. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #805 zaqualung, Sep 12, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019

When I was in college and home from / on holidays, I used to stay out late and in bed late (lazy bastid that I am), and my mum would be doing the housework and running up and down the (steep) wooden carpeted stairs like Sergei Bubkha..... I used to keep begging her to slow down and was terrifically worried about if she fell one day when no one was home. Luckily for my peace of mind my dad retired sometime around then.. an even luckier, she never fell.....
    Mum was only in her mid 50's then, so not old... but yeah - old people falling when alone is not a subject for fun.... (unless it's Trump, of course. he deserves that ....)

6. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It was the most ethical thing since the 1970's .... however Reagenomics and the unfettered spirit of the market disagree with your ethics. And mine!

Speaking of which, California has just struck an awesome blow for the ethical society....

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/sep/12/california-private-prison-ban-immigration-ice

I don't say that because of the ICE centers (not that I agree with them) but prisons for profit are a cancer and an abomination and should be completely annihilated.

7. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Well that changed the subject. So to one portion of prison for profit. Kids!!

WE have approx 1,500 kids, who have no idea what they have done wrong, where their parents are and even more scary neither do the ICE thugs who have them hidden away in tents.
    WE pay ICE $755 per day per kid to do this. So, 1,500 x 755 is, switch to calculator, er. Close to, no actually, $1,132,500 per day. In a freeking tented concentration camp.

I'd put a tent in my yard to house the white house crooks for that much. McDonanlds delivers here.

zaqualung and LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  8. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the blame, such as it is, falls entirely on the adults who dragged them here, in some cases for totally cynical reasons.

that's the facts, Jack

9. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    the US gov't is planning to deport sick refugee kids - currently receiving critical medical attention, whose doctors have said they will quite possibly die if they are sent back to their birth countries. (one is a 14-yr old girl from Spain)

whose fault is that? do you take the same "who gives a shit, not my problem" approach?

delaynomo and usscouse repped this.
  10. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #810 usscouse, Sep 13, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    Bullshit !!!! Most off these people came to make a legal application for legitimate immigration. Stay away from Fox or read genuine newspapers and you may find out how the real Orange scumbag and Gollum or Stephen Miller works. Miller stated himself. It's a deterent.

Even if it was just as you say. And it's not!!
    Is that a reason for the inhumane treatment?
    They, ICE, have lost track of who the parents are of some of the kids. They're talking foster homes or adoption.
    Evil bastards. How TF can so called Christians still make excuses for these scum and this behavior.

delaynomo repped this.
  11. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nah. many of those people arriving at the border know exactly what they are facing. they are dragging children, and we don't know whether those kids are theirs or not, into a situation where the choices on the government's side are restricted. the children cannot reasonably be housed in adult custodial facilities, so they have to be separated. yes, they haven't done anything wrong. that's true, but the adults bringing them have to know that the enforcement agencies on our side of the border aren't going to treat them like welcome guests.

and you, sir, have no way of knowing whether they deserve priority in terms of legitimate migration. they are forcing the US government's hand. that amounts to bullying.

12. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    These are people who went through the proper channels and have the correct paperwork. That paperwork was revoked and they were given 33 days to get out of our country.
    AND DIE!
    How Christian how evangelical is this administration and their support.

delaynomo repped this.
  13. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Jesus! Straight quotes from Hannity and Fox.

Yes you're right on your second paragraph. I don't know whether they "Qualify". That is why they're supposed to be given hearings.

The bullies and thugs are this admin and their enforcers in ICE.

14. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    delaynomo repped this.
  15. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    "Where the owl sleeps...."
    Footie expressions from around the football world.

Tom Williams, author of Do You Speak Football?, picks up his commentary mic and weaves his way down the pitch with a selection of colourful football terms from around the world...
    1. Lepkevadász – Butterfly hunter (Hungary)

The cross comes into the box. This should be an easy one for the goalkeeper… but he’s got nowhere near it! He was flapping his hands all over the place – looks like we have a butterfly hunter between the posts!

2. Kukanyaga nyoka – To step on a snake (Kenya)
    The ball’s loose. It falls invitingly for the striker. He’s surely going to score here… but no! He'sstepped on a snake – he's missed his kick completely!

[​IMG]
    Butterfly hunting and stepping on a snake. (Illustrations by Dan Leydon)
    3. Armario – Wardrobe (Spain)
    It’s pinball in the penalty area now. Luckily this lot have got a bruising centre-back – a properwardrobe – and he shoves an opponent out of the way before clearing the ball to safety.

[​IMG]
    Pigeon’s wing and tree illustrations by Dan Leydon.
    4. Stofzuiger – Vacuum cleaner (Netherlands)
    Neat work from the holding midfielder – he hoovers up the loose ball and moves it on to a team-mate. Every side could do with a vacuum cleaner like him in their ranks to keep things tidy in midfield.

5. Shireitō – Control tower (Japan)
    Here’s the control tower – the central midfielder who seems to have an aerial view of proceedings and knows exactly where the ball needs to go. He takes a touch and sprays a pass out to the left wing.

6. Smörpassning – Butter pass (Sweden)
    Oh, what a smooth pass that was! The winger didn’t even need to break stride! That was abutter pass if ever I’ve seen one.

7. Deff ko watt – To give someone a haircut (Senegal)
    The winger is quickly closed down by an opponent, but he takes him out of the game! Fantastic skill. The defender charged in and he flicked the ball right over his head – he gave him a haircut!

8. Ddong-ball – Poop ball (South Korea)
    Great cross into the box, but that’s a total miskick from the striker! Aimed right and the ball went left – a real poop ball.

9. Salad – Nutmeg (Jamaica)
    One of the midfielders has kept the ball in play and oh, what a clever piece of skill! An opponent charged in, but he managed to slip the ball between his legs and collect it on the other side. Lovely little salad.

10. Aile de pigeon – Pigeon’s wing (France)
    The midfielder plays an aerial pass to a team-mate. It’s a little bit behind him, but that’s great improvisation! He produces a pigeon’s wing to help the ball on – lifting his foot out to one side and using his heel to volley the ball to a colleague. Superb technique!

11. Derevo – Tree (Russia)
    The forward attempts to control the ball, but oh dear! It hits him on the shin and bounces away. This guy’s got no technique whatsoever – he’s an absolute tree.

12. Bananenflanke – Banana cross (Germany)
    Luckily one of the full-backs was following up and he wraps his foot around the ball, curling abanana cross towards the back post…

13. Buffelstoot – Buffalo push (Belgium)
    The centre-forward has timed his run to perfection! He leaps into the air and meets the ball with a thumping header – a right buffalo push!

14. Mazhariya – Vase (Saudi Arabia)
    The goalkeeper’s rooted to the spot! He’s standing there like a vase!

15. Onde dorme a coruja – Where the owl sleeps (Brazil)
    WHAT A GOAL! Beautiful cross, emphatic header, keeper motionless, and the ball sails into the top corner – right where the owl sleeps.

[​IMG]

White/Blue_since1860 repped this.
  16. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

I presume you mean because the law may be against their entry.

a). I'd point out that the law can be humane if overseen by humans (probably where the phrase"the law of the jungle" comes from...

b). Humans aren't orange coloured....

c). If you were a certain kind of child in 1930's Germany you'd have had the same problem. And been neither more nor less to blame than these poor children are....
    That's also a fact.

17. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    that's a question best answered in the hypothesis I've thrown out many times - that if old Jesus Navasareth were to show up again in the Modern US, his Christian followers would be the first ones to nail him back on the cross...

18. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The point you are conveniently missing is that since this is a legal process they shouldn't be being treated like criminals in the first place.
    The whole thing is obviously about brutality and deterrence. The US government shouldn't be in the business of trying to deter people from applying to its laws. It should change the law if it has a problem.

It should also openly face up to the fact that it is the primal cause of all these central american problems.........

19. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    the Trump admin is denying US citizenship to a baby that was born in Canada by a surrogate mother, to US parents.

the parents are a gay couple. but since the WH can't discriminate on that basis, they are saying the baby can't be American coz it was "born out of wedlock".

you couldn't make this shit up.

20. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That's very sad in this day and age. Two probably very decent ppl simply want to form a family and get on with life .

What's happened to compassion , tolerance and understanding ? Nowadays it seem everything is meanness , spite and hatred .

usscouse and delaynomo repped this.
  21. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    couldn't agree more, speke. extremist ideologies have taken over the running of too many countries.

delaynomo repped this.
  22. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Nowdays it's what we call christianity.

23. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and that isn't hateful?

24. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #824 usscouse, Sep 16, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    Did you read the post I replying to.

25. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The point you are conveniently missing is that they are barging in the queue. It is a legal process, yes, but to act like they are entitled to go to the front of the line is wrong.