The "New" will MacMillan make the Olys? thread

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by tigercub, May 5, 2004.

1. "So there you have it, everyone back at camp sucks"?

How juvenile...but I suppose that's what I get for reading these boards.

Once you can base your argument on more than hearsay, come on back and we can talk.

2. tigercub

tigercub New Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Being left off two rosters is more than "hearsay." I don't see why we should not believe the roster is "performanced based". It seems clear April has picked her Olympic team. They need to play together as much as they can, before the Games...for the good of the National Team.
    Maybe Mac will make it as an alternate or something...I hope so because she was a dedicated player...I'm a fan of hers too. Chill.

3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    We'll quit talking about Shannon when you stop taking criticism of Shannon personally. We're not calling Shannon a bad person. Far from it. We're not denegrating her career. No way, she's had an awesome run. We merely stating that that run is over. Sports isn't a "feel good story". It's ruthless, heartless, and completely "what have you done for me lately." Sentimentality is for losers. I'm a KC Royals fan. I continually celebrate what George Brett did for the team, I was ecstatic watching him inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame. I don't/i] want to see him playing for the Royals.

Shannon's "career" isn't over. She should have quite a few very productive years of club soccer left if she chooses. Her international career, however, effectively ended last May.

4. tigercub

tigercub New Member

Apr 21, 2002
    I guess I'm sad for Mac (and so many others) because they don't have club soccer anymore. (WUSA anyway)
    Now it's the National Team or nothing for MacMillan; ugh, is she really worse than Wagner right now?
    Her ACL was last May then? Couldn't remember.

5. Hamm-star

Hamm-star New Member

Oct 2, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Andy and those of you saying mac is out are jumping the gun just a bit. Let us see what this next friendly brings. if we do not see her on that roster then there is significant reason to worry. 2 is worrisome but three is much more disconcerting. As I said 3 is a definate message. I personally feel that it would be reasonable and right for Mac to get a chance. Atleast give her a game and the oppertunity to show her stuff. if ape doesn't do that then i see that as conciderably unfair to a player who has done alot for this team.
    if she does and Mac does not perform well, then fair enough.

6. tigercub

tigercub New Member

Apr 21, 2002
    One game (and probably the last 20 min. of it) doesn't seem "fair enough" to prove herself--but that's been MacMillan's career with the WNT...sigh.

7. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a note at the bottom of this mornings "Goal!" feature in the Union-Tribune, Mark Zeigler had this to say (it's not in the online version of the article...)

(it starts our mentioning both Joy and Mac being 'on the bubble', has a line about Joy's back surgery being the reason she's out, then)

8. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
    Meow!

"Abby Wambach couldn’t quite reach it but neither could the defenders and the ball rolled across the box and out to Foudy, whose shot – or was it a cross? – went to the back post where it was touched in by Parlow.

Parlow wanted to set the record straight about the play: “Julie took a shot – she called it a cross, but it went a little wide and I was there. No, it wasn’t a redirect – I didn’t just stand there and let it hit me. And it wasn’t a tap in – I had to do a little kick.”
    sounds like someone's trying to lose the cherry picker image.(excerpt from the above site linked by fear)

9. Re: Meow!

"Chill"? No, I just don't think it's fair for some of you to spit off all of these negative comments when you haven't seen Shannon play. And there are many politics involved, but that's soccer, so it doesn't necessarily mean that Shannon can't "perform". I saw her last week, and she left a number of those girls on the roster in the dust...ESPECIALLY Wagner.

I am not asking for much, just for people to watch her play before they let their mouths run, because that's when feet start being inserted.

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It isn't "WNT or nothing". There are two womens leagues in the United States, and several overseas.

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Re: Meow!

But see, nobody has a "right" to be put into a game. For a professional soccer player Mac is old. She's suffered a horrible injury. Unless she's blowing people away in practice, there's no reason to put her on the field in one of the few tune-up friendlies before the Olympics.

Once a team starts listing players because "they've earned it because of all their years of service." or "they deserve one last chance" then that's a team that starts losing big tournaments because they're more concerned with reputation than ability.

Oh wait, nevermind.

12. Re: Meow!

Actually, I never said she should be put in because she has given a lot to the team (she has, and that should be remembered, but not made a factor). But nice try to re-state that point of yours.

I said she performed in practice and blew the others away, so I am not sure why she was left off the roster since she played far past the usual standards in practice. And I guess you won't ever know that until she is put in a game since you don't attend their practices regularly.

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Re: Meow!

You'd be surprised at what I know and don't know, and what I attend and don't attend.

14. Re: Meow!

I am going to call your bluff since I know what you look like AND there are no WNT Practice pics posted on your "holy site" as of yet.

You'd be surprised at who I am...AND what I know.

The title of our post(s) is quite apropos. ;)

15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    What bluff? I never said I spent the last week at training at the ARCO Olympic center. I have, however, been keeping very close tabs on the WNT - both in person, and through my own network.

As far as the "holy" website. Not every game or practice we shoot makes it on the site. Many practices don't make it up. We have NCAA tourney games from last fall that aren't online. There are MLS/WUSA and other games that we've shot that aren't online for a variety of reasons.

The fact is, I would not be surprised if Mac 1) got significant playing time in the next couple of friendlies and 2) was included on the Olympic roster.

From what I know of the players, conditioning, and the team's needs - If I had been handed the reigns of the team after the WWC disaster, I probably wouldn't have called Mac into camp, baring a direct appeal from Mac to consider her.

And it's nothing personal. Mac has been an extremely important player in WNT history. We almost certainly wouldn't have won the 96 gold, and might not have gotten past Germany in the 99 WC had it not been for Shannon.

Michelle Akers is the greatest womens player in the history of soccer, and could probably play some serviceable minutes if needed, but I wouldn't think of calling her in. Winning in team sports requires some measure of ruthlessness. Most of the "Founders" need to be culled from the herd - for the good of the team. Most of the "Founders" should be able to play club ball at a high level for many years to come.

16. No matter how many close tabs you keep through your "network" it is still hearsay until you see for yourself. And I highly doubt you have watched Shannon since she entered residency.

Yeah yeah yeah, we can discuss the WWC and her injury, we can discuss her impact in 96 and 99...but I am talking about 2004. I am talking about April 4-May 12+, and at this time, Shannon MacMillan is capable of playing and performing for, and impacting the US Women's team.

Could Michelle Akers perform today? I am not sure, I haven't seen her play, so I can't go either way on it.

It isn't wise to pretend to play God without having the throne to sit on. So unless your magical camera lens allows you to foresee the ends of players careers, pretending is precisely what you are doing.

17. It's a good thing you didn't spend the last week at the ARCO Olympic Center since the women are training at HDC. You'd be pretty upset sitting all alone in Chula Vista.

Even more reason for me to believe you haven't "attended" much.

18. PortlandPilots15

PortlandPilots15 New Member

May 23, 2002
    My world.
    There's no way she could effectively play against 12 year old girls, she has a bum knee, she's done for and has been done for since she retired 4 years ago.

I seriously doubt that Mac is stinking it up in camp right now. Sorry but that's just not like her. She goes out everyday and gives it her all, it's what makes her the player she is and why she's so respectable.

Also there has been talk about her not doing well because you were going by "Matchtracker Stats". Take off, you cannot tell how well a player is performing soley based on stats. More often than not stats do not reflect the play of the game, enough said. Unless you go to HDC and watch the girl play you have nothing in your argument against her.

BTW that "fat Mac" pic is from last August in the training camp prior to the WWC. You have no proof that she came into training camp overweight and if you do you better show it because it's more than likely not true.

19. PP15, you've given me a great idea.

Andy - you say that not all of your pictures make it onto your site...yet if you have indeed been to WNT residency (keeping tabs in person as you put it), I would really like to see some of those pics. They will give substantial evidence to at least one side of this argument.

20. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First of all, I think Might Mac is taking this way too personally ( I can only surmise that she's either a relative or close friend). I agree with you that nobody can know the future, snd no one save April can know who is going to Athens or not, but given the fact that she has not played in the last two friendlies against good teams does make a point on its own. I hope she can get back in the squad because I feel the team would be better with her and minus Wagner. I started the original Mac to Athens thread honestly b/c beyond Wambach and Hamm, she is someone we need on the field.

Second, mentioning those pics as Portland Pilots did, I went to the YCJ site and looked again myself. Those sleeveless training shirts are not very figure flattering. Foudy even looked a little plump in those pics, and no one would say she needs to lose an ounce.

21. Why is it so hard to understand?

I am taking it personally because this argument is so ridiculous. People are making these assumptions without seeing Shannon play.

Yes, she has been left off the roster the past two games, does that seal the deal as to her abilities? No. Wagner is on it, and she hasn't produced much lately. I have no problem with people saying "The fact she isn't on these two rosters doesn't look good for Mac". I DO have a problem when people take it as far as "Oh, Mac must suck. Mac looked overweight in 2003, so she must be fat and 300 lbs now! Her career is over, this is the end for her with U.S. Soccer." Those assumptions, those "claims" are what I have a problem with, because there is NOTHING to back them up besides April's "judgement", and we've seen how little we can rely on that.

And I can only surmise that it is no one's business, nor should it matter who I am. Sometimes on these boards it seems that people (I am not naming people, so don't jump on me) drop names and try to figure out "friends and relatives" just so they can attempt "an in or an autograph"...this is a message board, identity is meaningless.

22. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No kidding! Pretty much the whole reason bigsoccer exists is for armchair quarterbacking and idle speculation -- oh yeah, and for trolls like j&b.

I guess it is a good thing MightyMac isn't an equally big Jovan or Landon fan given the abuse heaped upon those two (or Richie Williams, for that matter. I couldn't even guess possible reactions to the ABMOD nickname :D). I do have popcorn, if anyone wants to keep watching the show ;)

I don't think Mac and Wagner are in direct compition for roster spots. I'd think it more likely that Tarpley (both as a forward and mid) and other forwards like O'Reilly, Welsh and CP are her main competion but of course this is speculation on my part...

23. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I agree that Mac and Wagner are competing for two different spots, I think that April could decide that if she wanted to bring Mac in to the squad and can't leave off the above named players, then she could think about trimming some chaff (note I did not say FAT) that isn't producing and bring in one that needs to be on the squad. I think Mac could play in the a-mid spot for Hamm in a pinch as well. She has enough depth in the middle right now with the young guns playing as well as they are. I don't think leaving Wagner off the squad loses too much experience either. She has been to a world cup, but was really just a bit player.

I didn't think O'Reilly was a striker, is that where she plays her college ball?

24. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry, this is a little too cryptic for me to follow.