The new Aris-tocracy: Adu in Greece

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Reignking, Feb 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beautiful Game 2010

Jul 11, 2006
    Western Hemisphere
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    No kidding. Adu flat out created the first goal out of nothing and drew the penalty that should have been the second goal with a fantastic bit of close control and an imaginative chip in the box. EJ and Adu should both be on the covers.

2. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007

I think that has something to do with the kinds of players we produce. I'm glad for Eddie and think very highly of him. Eddie, Jozy, Charlie, Findley, Buddle are one type of player, valuable but a type. Adu is another type, one we have fewer of in the US system. I'm not suggesting one is more important than the other only that one is more common than the other. That and from minute 1-85 Adu had a better game. By the time Eddie got that turnover goal the score really should have been 2-0, both on scores created by Adu.

That said, I think Eddie deserves more love, he has worked hard to get back in the spot light. Eddie is doing what strikers should do, score, no matter how the look in between goals.

3. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    This is the Freddy Adu thread. I dont see the game Seaotter and Schrutebuck are playing...................ok i see it, but ill avoid it further.

4. DMoney22

DMoney22 Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to jump in the middle here, but I think the reason the post count reached 200+ was the usual "Freddy's awesome!!!111!1", "No, Freddy sucks, [Player X] is better anyway" argument that comes up every time. Nobody can be content that he had a good game and leave it at that. There is always an argument to be had over Freddy. If Eddie does well, like he did yesterday, he gets the "good game, but he's still got [x, y, and z] deficiencies" treatment. Not fair, but that's how he's treated.

Eddie had a hell of a game yesterday, no doubt about it. Freddy had a great game too. Let's be happy they had positive appearances in such a huge game and let the chips fall where they may in regards to a camp invite. As far as Freddy is concerned, Holden is clearly ahead of him, but I am not convinced that Bedoya is any better than Freddy, just a different type of player.

Freddy and Eddie have 5 games to prove their worth, so let's enjoy the show! :D

5. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Did you ever think that maybe Adu has something weird, I think it's called fans, I'm not really sure what it means though. Why is it hard o fathom that a player has a following and actual fans who like him.

Adu has fans all over the world because they've heard the buzz about him and then he has a sick U-20 Tourney where he abused the Brasilians and has had other impressive moments. He has incredible skill and presence on the ball, very few players can make passes with deft and subtlety like Adu. His true fans know that because they've seen countless boring MLS games where he'll make that pass from 40 yards away with an impossible trajectory ( of course the teammate usually muffs it) and place the ball right on the guys foot. Not everyone can do stuff like that. ( except for players like Beckham)

I'm half Peruvian so I grew up idolizing players that oozed style and class and amazing technical ability like Cubillas, Uribe, etc... I don't know if Adu will ever get to their level but he makes magic happen sometimes and who doesn't love magic. I root for him because I want the beautiful game to claim a small victory.

Sadly, not even Peru plays the beautiful game anymore and they're just like any other team, but Peru back in the day had a amazing players and made their mark in multiple WC's and made me love that style of play.

Adu still has some of that old school style where he's going to beat you with skill and style, intelligence and not with pure physical supremacy , I guess it's hard to explain. Anyways I've been a big fan since his DC years and he's one of my favorite modern players. If he ever makes it big I don't know but he's already given me more moments of football brilliance than I can count.

6. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    NO WE DON'T!! We are lacking at the position, badly, but I wouldn't call it SERIOUS.

I agreed with you, Davies is our #1/2 forward prior to his accident.

I am all for Davies to get back into the game next month and lighting it up, but I am just trying to be REAL.

We are talking about an individual with a fatal accident, underwent multiple surgeries and is still trying to regain his full strength. A player that haven't play a minute for nearly 8 months. Giving a roster spot to such a player is not a very sensible thing to do. It's a difficult decision to make, but I firmly believe it had to be done.

We have at least four forwards that are healthy, in form, playing and scoring goals (Jozy, Gomez, Buddle, EJ). Heck count Dempsey & LD, and we have 6.

7. DMoney22

DMoney22 Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :confused: Wow. No need to be like that, I was actually taking your side. People like to argue with Adu fans that post here (and vice versa), whereas EJ just doesn't have the die-hard following that creates both the support and resentment that Freddy does. My post was entirely a reference as to the high post-counts for Freddy, even though EJ was the one with 2 goals.

8. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our "star" striker is a 20 year old who scored one goal in the EPL this year. I don't know about you, but I'd say that's an area of the pitch where we have some real problems...

9. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    may i remind you that nearly 3/4 of the goals for Hulls were created by Jozy? whether it was an assist, goal scored, or penalty earned?

even if you put Rooney on that sh*t team, he's gonna look like crap. that's reality.

10. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This isn't a Jozy thread so this is all I'll say on the topic here. Hull was poor, but to be blunt a better striker than Jozy (Rooney, to borrow your example) would have scored more goals than he did this season. Jozy (and the other Hull strikers) has to accept his share of responsibility for Hull's poor scoring record. He's an exciting young talent, but I think we saw from his performances this year that he's still a year or two away from being ready to regularly contribute goals for a team in one of the top European leagues (like the EPL). I saw a lot of Jozy's matches this season and believe the experience he gained at Hull was beneficial for his overall game (as you note, he did some good things there) but he's still got plenty of work to do. I believe that if the US has a successful WC this year it will be because we're getting goals from the midfield (folks like CD and Landon). I just don't think we can count on getting many from our strikers (although I really hope I'm wrong).

Oh, and Hull had something like 32 or 33 PL goals this season. I don't think Jozy was involved (goal/assist/pk) in 24 of them...

11. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    Time for a new thread?

Ballers Aris in the Playoffs: Adu in Greece

12. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States