The Netherlands- 2018

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by Got Jukes?, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Lieke won the prize in Spain for the most beautiful goal of last season:thumbsup:
    The jury of La Marca decided that. She scored that goal 27th of May in the semi final of the Copa de la Reina against Athletic Bilbao . She shot the ball from the edge of the box into the outer/furthest corner of the goal.

blissett and sbahnhof repped this.
  2. Sari Veenendaal described in an interview her dinner party with Queen Elizabeth of GB, King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima of the Netherlands at Buckingham Palace.
    https://www.metronieuws.nl/in-het-nieuws/2018/10/sari-van-veenendaal-staatsbanket-was-sprookje
    When she was introduced to Queen Elizabeth her card mentioned her profession footballer:
    "Queen Elizabeth gave her a hand, stood still and looked at me and said "footballer"? I hadnot expected she would say something to me so I really didnot know what to do. So I just said: "yes". Then she said "Really", so again I said "yes".
    Then she gave me a affirmative/confirmatory nod, so I kind of think she thought it to be cool to have a female footballer in the party.

Orange14, CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  3. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Wow, the Queen met Sari van Veenendaal? :) Lucky her.

4. Actually Sari had a dinner with the Queen, the Dutch King and Queen, served on golden platters with golden fork, knife and spoon.

5. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    How did she get this chance? I don't think it's something so common.

6. It was a State visit by the Dutch King and Queen, so Dutch living in the UK get a chance to be invited.

blissett repped this.
  7. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Some people are so lucky. I only managed a lunch at Nando's with the France, Scotland and Sweden WNT managers in 2011.

Orange14, sbahnhof and blissett repped this.
  8. True, it's royal;)

blissett repped this.
  9. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Sari Van Veenendaal started the game this week at Arsenal alongside Van De Donk, Bloodworth and Miedema.
    Maybe the coach is giving her some game time in preparation for the WC play-off?

He has explained why he preferred to play Pauline Peyraud-Magnin in a recent interview:

"We have a goalkeeper now who’s very, very good with distribution so she’s the extra player going forward and that’s very important. That allows us a defender to step into midfield or an extra player to step into midfield to give us those overloads, so it’s all about creating an extra player in the situation and moving forward from there."

This reminded me of Guardiola telling Joe Hart to go away as he was not good enough and buying Ederson to replace him.

blissett repped this.
  10. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Barcelona listed Martens (and Van der Gragt) as injured yesterday--and I don't think Martens has played in the last four (or more) Barcelona games. Any idea what the problem is?

11. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Netherlands will need to be careful of the Swiss triple threat-- Bachmann, Dickenmann, Crnogorcevic. Each has 40+ international goals. But on overall team talent the Dutch should have the upper hand.

Does anyone with closer knowledge of Netherlands football know if Mandy van den Berg is returning to the team? I always thought she was a solid defender and leader, but she abruptly left the national team after Euro 2017.

12. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Dickenmann is out for a long period with an injury.

blissett repped this.
  13. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    odd situation with the Swiss; their coach is actually quitting after these playoff games to take over the German NT. A lot of their vets as well have retired over the last couple of years, so they had to bring several youth players into their senior program. Most notably, Alysha Lehmann, a striking blond 19 year old that has become their leading scorer.

At defense, they switched a tough to nails player named Lisa Waiti, from mid to CB. Waiti doesn't get enough credit for the turnaround at Arsensal this year. But then paired with her at CB, is a rather clumsy & slow over sized CB named Kiwic, who;s in there to give them more scoring chances on corner & free kicks, because of her size. This is where the Dutch need to take advantage; isolate or get the ball to whoever she marking & take her 1v1(as I've seen Kiwic give up so many goals like that on her Potsdam team)

I would agree, the Dutch should have the advantage in everything except that the 2nd/last game is in Switzerland

14. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    She plays in Valencia now, but I don't think she is good enough for the Dutch NT these days. She might be a bit too slow for international football. Her lack of pace was one of the reasons she was cut from the team at LSK Kvinner a few years ago. The Dutch NT need faster central defenders.

Orange14 repped this.
  15. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    blissett repped this.
  16. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    The Swiss were behind the ball in numbers all night--or at least until the Dutch scored. Hard to be open in a game like that--or are you saying that The Netherlands had spacing issues in their attacking half? I thought they created some opportunities in the first half, but couldn't capitalize.

On another note, I was surprised that Wiegmann subbed out Groenen first--bringing in Roord for her. I wonder why?

And what's with the keeper situation? Has Wiegman made Geurts the No. 1? Haven't seen her much. Looks like her ball distribution is pretty good but she's only 5'6"--that is pretty short for an international keeper. Can she tip a ball over the bar that otherwise would go in just under the bar? I wonder. Van Veenendaal seems on the outs, unless she still knicked up in some way. Her ball distribution isn't great, and she's not the most athletic of keepers, but she's capable of making strong saves.

17. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Groenen got injured around the 55 min. mark & Holland was playing 1 down for a while until Roord subbed in for her/

btw........here's the'infamous turf' game
    https://www.veronicatv.nl/programma.../wk-kwalificatie-vrouwen-noorwegen-nederland/

blissett repped this.
  18. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Thanks, HotJam! I just read that a Dutch NT tweet saying that Groenen would be unavailable for the match tomorrow because of her injury. That explains why she was injured--but I don't know what she injured, or how. I watched the game and didn't notice anything, which doesn't mean very much, I realize. In any case, I hope it is nothing too serious. She will be missed.

Lambik repped this.
  19. Lambik

Lambik New Member

NAC Breda
    Netherlands
    Nov 10, 2018
    Groenen is out with an ankle injury. She won’t be out very long but wasn’t cleared fit for the return game.

blissett repped this.
  20. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    noticed this site now has all of Holland's previous matches(including the playoff games)
    https://www.veronicatv.nl/programmas/nederlands-elftal/videos/

just watched the last Swiss game, a bit dull for me, cause after the red, obviously the Dutch went into a bit of a stall, as they took out an offensive player in Roord, for another CB to replace Dekker

Was wondering if anybody else thought it wasn't a red? It looked to me that Dekker was just trying to battle for the ball after being temporarily dispossessed

blissett repped this.
  21. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    this is the link to all the games(they just didn't put the opponents name in the headings)
    Veronica TV

CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  22. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    DOGSO, referee was really strong on that one in applying the rule. Some would have balls it up and given a yellow.

blissett repped this.
  23. Got Jukes?

Got Jukes? Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Any links to watch the Ajaz vs PSV game today?

24. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid