The MLS Stadium Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by fairfax4dc, May 20, 2016.

1. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I understand, his pockets are very deep. However, he has associated himself with people like Harvey Weinstein and has, as a result, picked up a similar reputation.

007Spartan and TrueCrew repped this.
  3. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is the Sac stadium situation? I can remember them being 'shovel ready' and awaiting a word from MLS to start digging.

Then they did not get an MLS team. But I still remember hearing rumors that they were going to build the stadium regardless. Did they start on it?

Whether started or shovel ready, if either is true, I think the have a leg up for #28 because if it. Heck, they could even come in in 2021 or 2020 if Nash/Mia/Austin hit a snag somehow.

Aside from the Weinstein stuff, great news. Maybe Dee Haslam can just slap him around some?

4. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    007Spartan, xbhaskarx and edcrocker repped this.
  5. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Looked at your club board here on BS to see more reaction to this but nada.

Of the two locations being discussed currently, is Willets Point most fans' preference?

6. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Onionrings and Egbert Sousé repped this.
  7. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a tough call. Most people seem to be happy with either site, but prefer the one more convenient to them. I think Queens is slightly more popular because of tailgating opportunities and Soccer is a much bigger deal in Queens than the BX.

9. Egbert Sousé

Egbert Sousé Member

NYCFC
    May 25, 2013
    nyc
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Makes no difference to me. From mid-town I can just as easily hop on the 7 to Queens as the 4 to the Bronx.

10. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    So what's the best look for the club, and most attractive to new fans?

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    What club are you talking about?

12. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1987 VioletCrown, Jan 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    Raises hand.

...Not that I'm very active.

JasonMa repped this.
  13. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    [​IMG]
    H.M.W.H.F.C., duh.

14. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The best look is to hurry up and put a shovel in the dirt at one site! Seriously though both sites have various advantages and disadvantages and the preference comes down to where in an individual fan lives for the most part. As far as drawing new fans, I'd imagine Queens would expose to a new market segment, while hopefully maintaining our Westchester and Bronx support.

Unfortunately the club has not officially been linked to either possible site so this is all speculation, but it's nice to actually see a viable path to a stadium materialize. Hopefully this is the year something happens!

15. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is probably a stupid question but is there a more or less universal definition for the term "affordable housing"?

I'm guessing that when they say that - and everybody says it now, it's part of the mantra - they don't really mean, like, Section 8 but rather some kind of lower middle income thing based on something or other which surely changes from place to place.

Or does it simply mean whatever the developer decides it means?

16. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1991 FoxBoro 143, Jan 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    In NYC, it means a thousand different things. Often times it's a certain number of regulated units within a development, with the rest being market rate. Sometimes its completely regulated, with different tiers aimed at different income levels. Typically new developments are for low income working families and certain disabled households, otherwise you get neighborhood resistance.
    Basically including "affordable housing" in any project in NYC is the best way to get your proposal heard.

17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I think it's a jurisdictional thing. Some places have set definitions, others don't.

You point out why it's always good to define your terms.

18. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    As a practicing city planner the term generally refers to housing where the rent/mortgage payments can be managed by individuals in the bottom quartile of average wage levels per industry in your community.

Builders looking to maximize returns natually prefer larger homes, and many communities with older codes by default drive price points up with minimum size/lot limits or other aspects of regulation. The result is traditionally a dearth in the quantity and quality of homes or apartments that are viable for entry level workers, households with limited incomes, etc. The issue has been exacerbated over the past few generations as the markets adapt to the changing workforce dynamics: Gone are the abundant middle-class blue-collar jobs to be had with minimal education, in their place are larger shares of hourly wage options and contract employees. The housing market and local ordinances are adapting, albeit slowly. Plus some communities use housing codes as a means of keeping out the undesirable classes (often under the guise of property taxes for schools), which means many communities aren't affordable for their own local firemen, school teachers, and so on.

So affordable housing essentially means viable (not dilapidated) units that the vast majority of people working in your community can afford without financial duress or additional support.

oknazevad, Minnman, USSoccerNova and 7 others repped this.
  19. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    In the new Crew stadium development there are around 800 housing units with 20% being reserved for what we call "workforce housing". They won't have rent subsidies to the builder like section 8 has but are designed to be affordable to median income workers.

I think the definition they use is housing is considered affordable if it takes less than 35% of a median worker's income.

xbhaskarx and GunnerJacket repped this.
  20. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Essentially. Banks and financial advisers recommend you use less than 35% of your net income to pay for housing. Preferably this is inclusive of related utility costs. We try to help communities work with builders by using this benchmark to show how much local employees can afford and then see what type and how much housing can be built in that price range, and whether or not codes and policies can allow or encourage affordable options.

21. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I qualified for "workforce housing" right out of undergrad before I went back to school for my law degree. This was in Loudon County right by the Fairfax County line. We had to prove our current income sources were sufficiently low enough to warrant getting a cut rate on the apartments. I recall that we saved around 300-400 a month compared to similar units in the neighborhood and that we had to have an income at under 40% the average household income in the area (which was almost 100k at the time, Loudon County is still is relatively rich area). Lived across the street from a Costco and next to a gas station.

22. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    I believe affordable housing is usually defined as housing that is affordable (rent/mortgage less than 30% of income) for households below 80% of area median (household) income (AMI). Workforce housing is around 80 - 120% of AMI. You can google your area's AMI.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  23. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get my gas from that Costco. I know exactly where you are describing.

24. 007Spartan

007Spartan Member+

Mar 1, 2006
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1999 007Spartan, Jan 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2019

Not exactly stadium news, but I take this as a pretty big positive for Miami. Also reveals they plan to form a full free to play academy as well as a USL team.

A couple of interesting tidbits found in the proposal regarding MLS fans. MLS fans are:

25% more likely to be millenials
    70% more likely to be hispanic
    79% more likely to have an income of $100K+
    89% more likely to stream sports on their devices
    83% more likely to purchase partner products.

They don't specify exactly who these figures compare to, but I assume it is just the general pop.

25. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Interesting. I'm guessing the FAA still owns the site of the baseball and soccer stadiums. Looking at the satellite map on Google, I'm also guessing that the waterpark that was going to see the destruction of the baseball stadium and possibly the soccer/football stadium never happened.